Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-11-2021, 03:56 PM   #2361
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The link says your current offsets are 34.5 for the front and 48 for the back.

So if you go with the rims that match your current, you'll get 1/4 of an inch further in on the front due to the narrower rims, and on the back it'd be 13.5mm outwards due to the lower offset of the rim, but 0.75" (19mm) inwards due to the narrower rims I think? So both front and back would look about 1/4" inwards compared to now?

Lol this is one of the reasons I just ended up getting winter tires and putting them on my existing wheels which is also staggered.
Yeah, that was my original plan, except winter tires for my car are jaw-droppingly expensive. Was quoted $576/back tire and almost $400/front tire. Add on balancing/mounting/tire tax and I was over $2k just for tires. This wheel/tire package I'm looking at with four 8" rims (versus OEM 8.5 front and 9.5 back) comes to $1700 including TPMS/tax/delivery/balancing/etc. And the winters are Blizzaks not some off brand or anything.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:03 PM   #2362
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah it was super expensive to get the correct sized tires for mine too, they're 235/50R18 front and 265/45R18 rear. I ended up using 235/50's both front and back, my rear rims are only 0.5" wider. The guy at KalTire (went with Nokians) said a 1/2" stretch should be fine.

Though Costco won't do them for me anymore because of the stagger after one year they put the front wheel on the back on one side of the car. I still can't understand how they didn't notice.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2021, 04:07 PM   #2363
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit: Just use this: https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

Last edited by TorqueDog; 11-11-2021 at 04:14 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2021, 04:07 PM   #2364
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah it was super expensive to get the correct sized tires for mine too, they're 235/50R18 front and 265/45R18 rear. I ended up using 235/50's both front and back, my rear rims are only 0.5" wider. The guy at KalTire (went with Nokians) said a 1/2" stretch should be fine.

Though Costco won't do them for me anymore because of the stagger after one year they put the front wheel on the back on one side of the car. I still can't understand how they didn't notice.
Well I guess I'll sleep on it. I don't see any huge snowstorms in our immediate future so one more day isn't going to make a difference.

Thanks for your help!!
Old 11-11-2021, 04:11 PM   #2365
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Edited out
Okay, hanging tight.

Next car is going to be a Honda Civic, I swear. I'm totally losing interest in screwing around with specialty cars lol.
Old 11-11-2021, 04:26 PM   #2366
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Okay, great site. Fronts are bang on.

For rears, inner sidewall would be 1.11" further out. Outer sidewall would be 0.09" closer in.

I think these are my bitches.

We did it, boys. Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2021, 09:00 PM   #2367
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Had brand new Kumho Wintercrafts installed today on my (new to me) 2013 Buick LaCrosse. OK Tire on Richmond Rd.

We'll see how they go.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:10 AM   #2368
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Got mine done as Blaskin and Lane (now called Trail) on 16th Avenue. Those guys are just great - honest mechanics that look after you. They were able to get both my vehicles done on back to back days. Highly recommend.
I'll second this. Been going to Blaskin & Lane (now Trail) for more than a decade. Always great service, never been disappointed.

And they store your tires if you want.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:26 PM   #2369
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have winter wheels that are one size smaller than my upgraded OE summer wheels and I noticed a vibration towards the end of last winter. I had the winters balanced for this season put them on the car today and went for a quick drive. I noticed a ticking noise and took the wheel off and the new stick on wheel weights are rubbing on the caliper. The old weights did not rub so I'm not sure if these weights are thicker or if the adhesive tape is thicker but this is a hassle now. I guess I can leave them on and the weights should wear down to provide a minimal amount of clearance or I can get new weights put on.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:43 PM   #2370
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd get them moved or see if someone has lower profile ones, letting them wear away is going to mar the caliper finish and invite corrosion. I had a similar setup with 17s and 340mm rotors, it barely cleared the pad edge and occasionally a stone would bounce between them and squeal.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 01:51 PM   #2371
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wondering if anyone has feedback or thoughts on Canadian Tire's Motomaster Winter Edge? Need to do 2 vehicles at once, so certainly liking the price. Obviously would prefer a higher end, but if they are good enough winters, then why not. Thanks.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:18 PM   #2372
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Just wondering if anyone has feedback or thoughts on Canadian Tire's Motomaster Winter Edge? Need to do 2 vehicles at once, so certainly liking the price. Obviously would prefer a higher end, but if they are good enough winters, then why not. Thanks.
I don't have any experience with the Motomaster tires, but I'm inclined to think that bad winters are better than good all-seasons / summers.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:29 PM   #2373
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Not winter edge but I put motomaster total terrain winters on my truck. Had them studded and they work very well.

I almost bought the winter edge hd for kid's car but found just as good of a deal on continental winter contact si plus at cdn tire. Happy with them so far, though has only been snow for one day.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:58 PM   #2374
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Not winter edge but I put motomaster total terrain winters on my truck. Had them studded and they work very well.

I almost bought the winter edge hd for kid's car but found just as good of a deal on continental winter contact si plus at cdn tire. Happy with them so far, though has only been snow for one day.
That is actually the tire I wanted, but was out of stock. Thinking I might just order them in or just pay extra for a more mid range tire.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:34 AM   #2375
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I'm inclined to think that bad winters are better than good all-seasons / summers.
I had bought some cheap winter tires years ago for my car, and they were definitely worse than the all-seasons I had for the same vehicle. The winter tires did fine in snow, but made my car feel absolutely terrible on any ice. I honestly couldn't believe how bad it was. I swapped the all-seasons back on mid-winter a couple years ago and never used them again.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:13 AM   #2376
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

What does tire storage cost for a year? It would be nice to free up some space in the garage, the tires are big and hard to store
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:18 PM   #2377
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
What does tire storage cost for a year? It would be nice to free up some space in the garage, the tires are big and hard to store
If you have the space this is awesome.

We have it up high in the garage out of the way.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-0090078p.html

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2021, 07:20 PM   #2378
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I feel like some people here have ordered via BlackCircles.ca

They seem considerably cheaper for the same tires.

What's folks experiences ordering from them? It's $50 cheaper to order Blizzaks from there versus the local tire shop. Continental tires are about $60 cheaper.

Is it worth ordering through them?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:56 PM   #2379
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I feel like some people here have ordered via BlackCircles.ca

They seem considerably cheaper for the same tires.

What's folks experiences ordering from them? It's $50 cheaper to order Blizzaks from there versus the local tire shop. Continental tires are about $60 cheaper.

Is it worth ordering through them?
I asked this same question here a few months ago and the positive feedback led me to pulling the trigger. No regrets...tires arrived within 48 hours and were a great deal. I'll order AS from them this spring, too...great black friday deals right now; nearly pulled the trigger but don't want to store them.

Probably safer to ship to your home and book your own appt. for mounting...might cost a bit more than booking a shop through their site, but that seemed to be mentioned as an unreliable process when I was looking into it.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:48 PM   #2380
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post

The shop I use charges $70 per season IIRC. They also do the seasonal tire swap for free with an oil change- so I just consider the $70 fee a bit of a wash as I’m not paying for the swap. It’s nice to not have to worry about keeping tires around for both vehicles.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: