Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #61
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
I think right there is the most important thing.
Seriously, why do people get in such a huff about things like this, when the VAST majority of people are enjoying themselves because of it?

Why do people get so upset that the rest of us are having a good time?
Why do they feel the need to tell us that we are idiots for having more fun than them?
It's easy - we've all gone through the "emo" stage when we were in high school. When everyone zigs, you zag - just to stand out. 20 years from now, the OP will be a dad, wearing a bolo tie, happy for his company's pancake breakfast.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Goon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #62
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
20 years from now, the OP will be a dad, wearing a bolo tie, happy for his company's pancake breakfast.
Hey, this might be 100% true. And some of you may get jaded from the Stampede in a few years. Geeze, I make a comment about people looking like goofs at the office for dressing like cowboys and when all the office cowboys hear about it they come out of the woodwork! Too funny.

Ok everyone, I changed my mind and went home to change in to my brand new, never to be worn again cowboy outfit. Now I am ready to have fun because of the way I am dressed!

Everyone knows you can't go to the Stampede or any of the breakfasts dressed like you normally are!
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #63
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the really telling part about this thred can be illustrated by the following:

Poster: Just about everyone
What they think is fun: Getting to dress in clothes they usually don't have reason to wear, hanging out with friends eating free food, and general merriment.

Poster: alltherage
What he thinks is fun: Telling people on a message board that if they do the above that they are tools.

Finally I'd like to point out that I've NEVER met ANYONE who went to the Chucks and didn't enjoy themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #64
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

I'm wearing the same thing I wear every day at work.... casual slacks and a golf shirt.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #65
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Finally I'd like to point out that I've NEVER met ANYONE who went to the Chucks and didn't enjoy themselves.
First off, your post is bang on. I am not on the same page as most of the people in this thread, and that is OK.

Secondly, the Chucks are kind of irrelevant. I enjoy them too. Actually, I enjoyed the rodeo last year.. and the year before. When I had VIP pins (free admission) because a family member sponsors a few horses.

But guess what? I wore regular clothing, and it was still 100% enjoyable!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #66
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
This is what I am wearing today.

Me too. I'm dressed like a pedestrian!
millhouse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #67
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltherage View Post
Hey, this might be 100% true. And some of you may get jaded from the Stampede in a few years. Geeze, I make a comment about people looking like goofs at the office for dressing like cowboys and when all the office cowboys hear about it they come out of the woodwork! Too funny.

Ok everyone, I changed my mind and went home to change in to my brand new, never to be worn again cowboy outfit. Now I am ready to have fun because of the way I am dressed!

Everyone knows you can't go to the Stampede or any of the breakfasts dressed like you normally are!

Imagine that you tell a large portion of your audience that they are tools and they get upset about it. Who'd have thunk?

Seriously, you come around saying "Hey all you guys who are having fun in a way I don't understand, YOU'RE LOSERS"
Then you think a good justification of it is to say "Who'd have thunk that they'd get all uppity about being called losers? They must really be losers."

Fine, I guess we are losers. Maybe next week when we've gotten it all out of our systems we can start taking fashion advice from you. I'm not 100% sure what you'd suggest for us but I'm guessing it's one of the following:

1) Popped collars and visors at about a 65 deg angle
2) Skinny jeans, and black "My Chemical Romance" T-shirts
Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #68
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Ooh, I've been looking for a place to talk about this. Last night I went for the second time in my life (first time was about 4 years ago) and it refreshed my memory of just how much fun it is. Damn, watching those wagons go is great. And the grandstand show (minus the little fairy children) was stellar. Though at this point, I'll admit it's not exactly cheap entertainment. I got the ticket free, but the price on it was $98. They were platinum seats, though. Not sure how much the other seats go for.

But man, the chucks are great.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #69
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

I fail to see the direct relationship between wearing western wear and the amount of fun I'm going to have at the Stampede. I'm with the OP to a point, those who don the duds one week of the year, and haven't updated said duds in over 2 decades They have my vote for the "you look like a tool category".

My uncle, a CPA, totally embodies the I'm an urban cowboy from the 1970's look... he is a tool...

The look can be done right and then it can be done so as you look like a farce, a facsimile of a gimmick that was once trying to be cool.

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 07-07-2009 at 11:34 AM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #70
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not miserable, I am actually quite happy in my non ###### outfit.
Good on ya, I say! Plain, safe and un-noticeable. Way to go! Party on!

Woo Hooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #71
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure what you'd suggest for us but I'm guessing it's one of the following:

1) Popped collars and visors at about a 65 deg angle
2) Skinny jeans, and black "My Chemical Romance" T-shirts
Hahaha, nice. I actually laughed out loud. You forgot a white studded belt and scratches on your arms.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #72
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Ooh, I've been looking for a place to talk about this. Last night I went for the second time in my life (first time was about 4 years ago) and it refreshed my memory of just how much fun it is. Damn, watching those wagons go is great. And the grandstand show (minus the little fairy children) was stellar. Though at this point, I'll admit it's not exactly cheap entertainment. I got the ticket free, but the price on it was $98. They were platinum seats, though. Not sure how much the other seats go for.

But man, the chucks are great.

Yeah it's a little off topic, but I was really impressed with the grandstand show this year. It was a lot better than years past. Most of the same major acts (motocross guys, acrobats etc) but the filler was a little easier to stomach.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #73
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
I fail to see the direct relationship between wearing western wear and the amount of fun I'm going to have at the Stampede. I'm with the OP to a point, those who don the duds one week of the year, and haven't updated said duds in over 2 decades They have my vote for the "you look like a tool category".

My uncle, a CPA, totally embodies the I'm an urban cowboy from the 1970's look... he is a tool...
Some people think it's fun to dress up for the Stampede. Why is that so hard to understand? More importantly why does it bother some people so much?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #74
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it's a little off topic, but I was really impressed with the grandstand show this year. It was a lot better than years past. Most of the same major acts (motocross guys, acrobats etc) but the filler was a little easier to stomach.
Is it the same every night? If so, did you see those people in the double rotating hoop? That was pretty damn cool. And the guy and girl doing those stunts hanging from those ribbons was impressive as well. Even the singing was pretty good, but I'm not much for broadway type stuff. The dirt bikes doing jumps was pretty neat as well, but the chucks... The chucks is why I was there, and it was by far the coolest part of the night. I almost didn't go back for the grandstand show (busy getting smelled by married chicks), but I'm glad I did.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #75
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
They have Motocross this year? I wonder if I should go check it out. I only saw the grandstand show the one year, and it was entertaining in some ways... boring at other parts.

I just remember being less than sober, seeing the sexy girls dancing around in their tights. Oh, and the ripped dudes lifting each other like in Knocked Up when they go to the Cirque de Soleil on mushrooms.

Quote:
I almost didn't go back for the grandstand show (busy getting smelled by married chicks), but I'm glad I did.
Please feel free to explain this hahaha.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #76
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it the same every night? If so, did you see those people in the double rotating hoop? That was pretty damn cool. And the guy and girl doing those stunts hanging from those ribbons was impressive as well. Even the singing was pretty good, but I'm not much for broadway type stuff. The dirt bikes doing jumps was pretty neat as well, but the chucks... The chucks is why I was there, and it was by far the coolest part of the night. I almost didn't go back for the grandstand show (busy getting smelled by married chicks), but I'm glad I did.
Yeah it's the same every night. I was in the same boat, almost didn't go, but my date had never seen the show (or the chucks for that matter) so we stuck around. Really glad I did.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #77
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They have Motocross this year? I wonder if I should go check it out. I only saw the grandstand show the one year, and it was entertaining in some ways... boring at other parts.

I just remember being less than sober, seeing the sexy girls dancing around in their tights. Oh, and the ripped dudes lifting each other like in Knocked Up when they go to the Cirque de Soleil on mushrooms.

I'd love to answer your questions, but I can't hear you with my ######y cowboy hat on. Sorry.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #78
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...37#post1924537
Old 07-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #79
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
I'd love to answer your questions, but I can't hear you with my ######y cowboy hat on. Sorry.
Haha, aww come on. Not everyone IS a ######... sometimes they just unwittingly dress like one!
The Following User Says Thank You to alltherage For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #80
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, aww come on. Not everyone IS a ######... sometimes they just unwittingly dress like one!

And sometimes they just post like they are one.

Yes, they have motocross this year. In fact they've had it for several years.

Tags
fashion police , feelings hurt , sirens , tools , woo woo