Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #41
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltherage View Post
Wow, I hit some nerves here hey guys? I didn't realize you were all so... festive! That's fun.
I think people are sick of people bashing all things Stampede. One party a year and people hate it. Pretty baffling.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #42
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, I hit some nerves here hey guys? I didn't realize you were all so... festive! That's fun.
There's a difference between hitting a nerve and getting laughed at for being so bothered by something that doesn't affect you at all.

I don't wear cowboy stuff, but I'm still laughing at you.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #43
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

I don't dress up. I'm in shirt, dress pants, black dress shoes.
I don't own many nice pairs of jeans or any cowboyesque clothes. As well i don't find sitting in my office in jeans is very comfortable.

My opinion, either go all out or not at all. The people who use stampede to dress like a slob for 10 days are cheating. Either stampede or standard work wear. No crappy inbetween.
Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wookie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #44
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know what else is just as stupid as people getting all gussied up for Stampede?

All of the following:
1) people in New Orleans partying over Mardi Gras, seriously, what losers
2) Those Irish s partying on St. Patricks Day in Dublin, seriously, what losers
3) All those crazy Brazilians getting all dressed up for Carnaval, serioulsy, what losers

You know who aren't losers? Everyone who gets dressed up for the "Wet Blanket Festival". Those guys are super fun to hang with.

For the record I am currently wearing jeans, a plaid shirt (which is one of my favorite shirts, and wear pretty often), a pair of cowboy boots (one of two that I own and wear to at least one or two brandings a year), a big ass belt buckle (won at a Stampede event), and my cowboy hat is sitting on my desk next to me.

I like wearing this stuff because I think it looks cool, but I don't get a chance to wear it that often, so when Stampede comes around, you bet I bust it out to the office. I'd imagine a lot of people feel the same way I do.

Bitching about people wearing the cowboy gear is like bitching at people who only wear their suits to Christmas parties and weddings. What losers they are, imagine they like to wear different clothes than they usually do when the get a chance to.

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 07-07-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #45
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Who is opposed to long legs in cowboy boots?

Last edited by troutman; 07-07-2009 at 03:45 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #46
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
There's a difference between hitting a nerve and getting laughed at for being so bothered by something that doesn't affect you at all.

I don't wear cowboy stuff, but I'm still laughing at you.
You are just decked right out aren't you? I think when you write this much about how I am bothered there is really an underlying issue here. I am not really bothered by it, per se... I just wanted to spark a revelation that people look like idiots. If you disagree with my opinion, then awesome! Everyone has one, right? I just decided to express mine. I'm not going to live and die by it, but it's pretty amusing to see people getting their backs up so high about some random anonymous internet board member's opinion.

Don't worry about it so much... who am I really? I was just saying people look goofy in their cowboy stuff. I don't want to have some heart to heart, life changing debate about it.

Laugh at me all you want! If some cowboy dressed fool laughs at me for dressing normal and expressing that you look like a tool, why would I care in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz
You know what else is just as stupid as people getting all gussied up for Stampede?

All of the following:
1) people in New Orleans partying over Mardi Gras, seriously, what losers
2) Those Irish s partying on St. Patricks Day in Dublin, seriously, what losers
3) All those crazy Brazilians getting all dressed up for Carnaval, serioulsy, what losers
This I can somehwat agree with. The main difference here is that these are epic cultural cornerstones for these people that span hundreds of years in some cases. I don't remember getting charged money to enter Mardi Gras, or St. Patrick's day. The Stampede is nothing but a cold cash grab.

Last edited by alltherage; 07-07-2009 at 11:01 AM.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #47
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
As a proud and lifelong Calgarian, naturally wearing my boots (as I do to mostly all Flames games, too) as well as one of the MANY western shirts that I own.
Dignity firmly intact.
Fixed. Don't forget to mention your belt buckles...

And Peanut: Even if we could get our feet into those boots, preggo cowgirls are NOT hot.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #48
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have to ask before I reply ... are you being serious in your misery?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #49
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I kind of like the old school cowboy shirt look, some of them are pretty funky lookin.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #50
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Its just a bad week long halloween trip. Alot of dorks in the office with purple boots, red hats, and too many tassles.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DFO For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #51
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

The wannabe 'Power Suit' worn by a 22 year old summer student or new grad downtown looks even more foolish. Too bad I have to put up with looking at those fools 355 days a year. (Especially those who wear those tan or gator trim long pointy 'elf-like' dress shoes).
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #52
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have several different outfits for the ten days of Stampede. Five different cowboy hats (though I rotate between three). I also grow in a handlebar moustache for the week - a tradition that my wife detests.

I attend a handful of corporate Stampede parties, some community breakfasts, the rodeo, chucks, and everyone is having a great time. Families, businessfolks, everyone.

I love this week and the Western spirit that accompanies it. I'm not a fan of Christmas, but people go all nuts for that. So, I conder this my equivalent.

It's cool if you laugh, but save it for next week when we're all office drones once again and it's back to slacks and dress shirts.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #53
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what I am wearing today.

Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #54
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are just decked right out aren't you? I think when you write this much about how I am bothered there is really an underlying issue here. I am not really bothered by it, per se... I just wanted to spark a revelation that people look like idiots. If you disagree with my opinion, then awesome! Everyone has one, right? I just decided to express mine. I'm not going to live and die by it, but it's pretty amusing to see people getting their backs up so high about some random anonymous internet board member's opinion.

Don't worry about it so much... who am I really? I was just saying people look goofy in their cowboy stuff. I don't want to have some heart to heart, life changing debate about it.
haha what the hell is this crap? Are you another wannabe internet Freud?

You're complaining about something that doesn't affect you at all, and that's the "underlying issue". YOU'RE the tool, and that's the hilarious part.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #55
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
This I can somehwat agree with. The main difference here is that these are epic cultural cornerstones for these people that span hundreds of years in some cases. I don't remember getting charged money to enter Mardi Gras, or St. Patrick's day. The Stampede is nothing but a cold cash grab.
Oh please. First of all, the Stampede is 100 years old, too. So can we soon acknowledge that it's an epic cultural cornerstone of our City yet?

Secondly, Stampede takes place all over the city. Free breakfasts and beer gardens everywhere. Just because you have to pay $15 to enter the epicenter of it, you're choked? How very sad. Have fun in your misery.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #56
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
I have to ask before I reply ... are you being serious in your misery?
Haha, Let me put it like this: Do people seriously look stupid? Yes.

Do I seriously get angry about it? Hahaha... obviously not. What is hilarious is how angry some of the people on here got by reading that they look like tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Oh please. First of all, the Stampede is 100 years old, too. So can we soon acknowledge that it's an epic cultural cornerstone of our City yet?

Secondly, Stampede takes place all over the city. Free breakfasts and beer gardens everywhere. Just because you have to pay $15 to enter the epicenter of it, you're choked? How very sad. Have fun in your misery.
I don't think the Stampede belongs in the same conversation as Mardi Gras and St. Patties day. People in Ireland have never heard of the Stampede, and people in New Orleans aren't recognizing Stampede week.

I'm not miserable, I am actually quite happy in my non ###### outfit.

Last edited by alltherage; 07-07-2009 at 11:09 AM.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #57
Jesse834
Lifetime Suspension

Location: Watching 7ungo Giving Up Goals A 5 Year Old Could Stop!
Exp:

Jesse834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #58
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
I attend a handful of corporate Stampede parties, some community breakfasts, the rodeo, chucks, and everyone is having a great time. Families, businessfolks, everyone.
I think right there is the most important thing.
Seriously, why do people get in such a huff about things like this, when the VAST majority of people are enjoying themselves because of it?

Why do people get so upset that the rest of us are having a good time?
Why do they feel the need to tell us that we are idiots for having more fun than them?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #59
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Suit and tie, I have a meeting with people who are probably not stampedin.
Oh man, there was this one time we had a business meeting last stampede with a guy who was trying to sell his company's service to us and he was in this really akward get up - plaid scarf and all.

Not only was he creepy as hell, he went on to rant on about how he should be allowed to smoke at Stamps games still. My business partner is a seasons ticket holder for the Stamps and disagreed whole heartedly.

Needless to say, Buck Rogers did not get our business.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #60
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post

Yup, anyone who wants to have fun durring Stampede can have it pretty cheaply, if not for free.

Tand to your first point, that's another thing that bugs me, people that go on about how "Western Culture" is stupid, and hokey because in the timeline of civilization it it's relatively recent. Just because it isn't 500 years in the making doesn't make it any less signifigant to the people that grew up around it. FFS, the whole country is less than 150 years old, and the Stampede has been around for 100 of those years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
4X4

Tags
fashion police , feelings hurt , sirens , tools , woo woo