Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2021, 07:03 PM   #381
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also kind of weird that Hwy 93 and the Kicking Horse Pass were paved in 1937 but Canmore to Lake Louise wasn't.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2021, 07:16 PM   #382
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Also kind of weird that Hwy 93 and the Kicking Horse Pass were paved in 1937 but Canmore to Lake Louise wasn't.
TCH through Kicking Horse Pass wasn’t built until 1962, was there a precursor it it?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:02 PM   #383
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

According to the map there seems to be, but I can't find anything about it.

But my cursory search revealed that the reason Kootenay National Park exists was to get federal funding to finish off that highway because the BC government couldn't afford to finish it.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:50 PM   #384
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently went down a rabbit hole of following the big rivers and tributaries in BC...the topography is definitely not amenable to E-W travel.

My favourite realization was that the Kootenay River comes within 3km of Columbia Lake at Canal Flats, but those waterways take dramatically different courses before actually meeting at Castlegar.

Kootenay:
1. source is within 5-7kms of Temple Mountain, Moraine Lake, and MacArthur Lake (great hike from Lake O'Hara);
2. flows SE to Marble Canyon then and follows most of the Banff-Windermere Highway, but continues SE/S to Canal Flats, whereas the highway turns west to climb/descend to Radium
3. continues south to the border (becoming Lake Koocanusa) to Libby, MT (65km south of the 49th as the crow flies)
4. Turns back NW to Kootenay Lake (Balfour/Crawford Ferry) meeting Duncan River/Duncan Lake from the north
5. Flows west through Nelson to Castlegar

Columbia:
1. From Columbia Lake flows NNW for ~300km (as the crow flies) to Kinbasket Lake (Mica Creek are). For nearly half that distance it flows parallel (though opposite flow) to the Kootenay River which is only 15-30km away.
2. flows back SSE through Revy and Nakusp down to Castlegar

3. then south through Washington and eventually to the Pacific near Portland, OR

It's just crazy to me how close those waterways are before ending up 450+kms apart (crow flies) and then actually end up meeting again...Canal Flats to Castlegar is about 150km as the crow flies.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2021, 10:15 AM   #385
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I recently went down a rabbit hole of following the big rivers and tributaries in BC...the topography is definitely not amenable to E-W travel.

My favourite realization was that the Kootenay River comes within 3km of Columbia Lake at Canal Flats, but those waterways take dramatically different courses before actually meeting at Castlegar.

Kootenay:
1. source is within 5-7kms of Temple Mountain, Moraine Lake, and MacArthur Lake (great hike from Lake O'Hara);
2. flows SE to Marble Canyon then and follows most of the Banff-Windermere Highway, but continues SE/S to Canal Flats, whereas the highway turns west to climb/descend to Radium
3. continues south to the border (becoming Lake Koocanusa) to Libby, MT (65km south of the 49th as the crow flies)
4. Turns back NW to Kootenay Lake (Balfour/Crawford Ferry) meeting Duncan River/Duncan Lake from the north
5. Flows west through Nelson to Castlegar

Columbia:
1. From Columbia Lake flows NNW for ~300km (as the crow flies) to Kinbasket Lake (Mica Creek are). For nearly half that distance it flows parallel (though opposite flow) to the Kootenay River which is only 15-30km away.
2. flows back SSE through Revy and Nakusp down to Castlegar

3. then south through Washington and eventually to the Pacific near Portland, OR

It's just crazy to me how close those waterways are before ending up 450+kms apart (crow flies) and then actually end up meeting again...Canal Flats to Castlegar is about 150km as the crow flies.
I find it interesting how near the Columbia icefields you have the Bow/N Saskatchewan flowing to Atlantic, Athabasca R to Arctic, and just on the other side, the Columbia/Fraser watershed!
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delthefunky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2021, 01:38 PM   #386
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man it’s starting to get bad again; hearing reports of flooding in maple ridge and poco, and reports of evacuation orders in areas of Abbotsford again and Merritt as well… and no sign of the rain letting up anytime soon. Tuesday is going to be scary.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #387
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How much of Abbotsford is/was in water.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:32 PM   #388
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
How much of Abbotsford is/was in water.
A significant amount, but not the most dense or high-impact areas. It wasn't like when Victoria Park got flooded. The airport wasn't affected at all I don't think.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:18 PM   #389
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
I find it interesting how near the Columbia icefields you have the Bow/N Saskatchewan flowing to Atlantic, Athabasca R to Arctic, and just on the other side, the Columbia/Fraser watershed!
It is the hydrographic apex of the continent.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:29 PM   #390
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
It is the hydrographic apex of the continent.
Also worth mentioning that the southern most part of Alberta (Milk River) is also part of the Greater Mississippi watershed that eventually drains to the Gulf of Mexico. Interesting that the St. Mary River is part of the Saskatchewan River watershed that flows to the Atlantic and is further west from the Milk River, although they are only separated by only a short distance and are joined by a canal.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #391
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just thought it would be nice to give the good people of Vancouver some credit here, no massive line ups at gas stations, no morons filling carrier bags with gas, the stores seem normal, no hoarding of toilet paper.

Well done Vancouver
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #392
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Also worth mentioning that the southern most part of Alberta (Milk River) is also part of the Greater Mississippi watershed that eventually drains to the Gulf of Mexico. Interesting that the St. Mary River is part of the Saskatchewan River watershed that flows to the Atlantic and is further west from the Milk River, although they are only separated by only a short distance and are joined by a canal.

Another fun fact is the Milk River watershed is the only part of Canada that was formerly a part of the USA. The border was originally split between the Hudson Bay and Gulf of Mexico drainage basins before the agreement on the 49th parallel.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:27 PM   #393
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Is Hudson Bay a part of the Atlantic Ocean? I always assumed it was part of the Arctic Ocean.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:35 PM   #394
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Is Hudson Bay a part of the Atlantic Ocean? I always assumed it was part of the Arctic Ocean.
Good question. I think you are probably right.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:51 PM   #395
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

According to Wikipedia, Hudson Bay is considered a marginal sea of the Arctic. You had me wondering, though, and looking at a map, I can see why it could be considered part of the Atlantic.

On another note, I just checked Google Maps to see what would be the best way to drive to Vancouver from Calgary - Going South through the US via I90. Just over 14 hours.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:09 PM   #396
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

According to this map waters from Hudson Bay (mostly) go east through the Hudson Strait to the Labrador Sea, the northwestern tippee-top of the Atlantic Ocean. :P

(rather than northwest through the Fury and Hecla Strait—between Baffin Island and the mainland—to the Arctic Ocean)
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:30 AM   #397
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is a large hole to fill...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc...7720143417483/
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 11:41 AM   #398
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Probably a good candidate for a bridge, otherwise we'll have this same issue again when material comes down the mountain in another rain event. Leave the naturally occurring debris chute as is and start planning ahead.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:42 AM   #399
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Probably a good candidate for a bridge, otherwise we'll have this same issue again when material comes down the mountain in another rain event. Leave the naturally occurring debris chute as is and start planning ahead.
I think we should build a sweet jump.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 11:47 AM   #400
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
A bridge takes a long time though, this is the #1 so they need it fixed fast. I'd imagine they drop a big culvert in and add loads of fill, then worry about engineering a proper solution later.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote