Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #41
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
So now we have:

1. An Aliens/Event Horizon ghost ship that is randomly blinking in and out of regular space

2. That same ship looks more like a battlestation and it has the power to destroy worlds (Death Star)

3. The Warden has some psychic abilities to calculate probabilities by instinct so that coin flips always go her way

4. Gaal now has powers of prescience like Paul Atreides of Dune, which flies in the face of the point of Foundation which is that we don't have crystal ball ways of seeing the future but rather we use math and probability to calculate it

5. Hari Seldon calculated that he had to martyr himself so he turned himself into the Hologram Doctor from Voyager
And you never go 'Full Voyager!' NEVER!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #42
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

There actually is reference to a battleship in the book, but this ain't turning out the same.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #43
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

If people in this universe have the ability to do a full brain dump into functioning hologram (which was stored in a knife btw) that can still work decades after a violent death, why the need for the Cleon genetic dynasty? If I were Cleon I, I would just dump my brain into a hologram and achieve immortality and not worry if a bunch of failed clones would ruin my legacy down the road.

Stupid show.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:48 AM   #44
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And you never go 'Full Voyager!' NEVER!
Alright, I'll have to pretend Hari Seldon is Rimmer from Red Dwarf instead.

Full Voyager is when the Invictus jumps and the crazy speed devolves everybody into lizards... Or Foundation comes up with a teleporter and two people get merged into one.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:53 AM   #45
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If people in this universe have the ability to do a full brain dump into functioning hologram (which was stored in a knife btw) that can still work decades after a violent death, why the need for the Cleon genetic dynasty? If I were Cleon I, I would just dump my brain into a hologram and achieve immortality and not worry if a bunch of failed clones would ruin my legacy down the road.

Stupid show.
A David S Goyer property that's not thought out? Who would've guessed.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:40 PM   #46
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Stupid show.
yeah as soon as they introduced that I had a feeling they done f***** up, because unless you have very specific rules around how it works and the limitations (i.e. Altered Carbon) then it's a universe-breaking plothole. either there's no stakes because characters should always have a backup copy in case they die, or everyone is terminally stupid for not taking reasonable steps to prevent permadeath.

I haven't read any Asimov, but based on his reputation as a sci-fi giant I would assume he didn't put this in the book without the proper precautions.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:59 PM   #47
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
yeah as soon as they introduced that I had a feeling they done f***** up, because unless you have very specific rules around how it works and the limitations (i.e. Altered Carbon) then it's a universe-breaking plothole. either there's no stakes because characters should always have a backup copy in case they die, or everyone is terminally stupid for not taking reasonable steps to prevent permadeath.

I haven't read any Asimov, but based on his reputation as a sci-fi giant I would assume he didn't put this in the book without the proper precautions.
They already Altered Carbon this show as well when they showed the backup clones of Cleon with the data uplink keeping it up to date with everything happening with the current one.

This is basically a Carbon Copy of Altered Carbon's idea of the backup being transmitted to a backup sleeve for the rich and powerful.

Also, doesn't this tech negate a lot of need for the Foundation? Let's just turn all our best and brightest scientists and scholars into immortal holograms and your knowledge won't be lost.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 02:14 PM   #48
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe because it's been awhile since I read the first book, but I don't remember most of this stuff. It is definitely not how Seldon died, and they seem to be mashing characters together. Gaal is feeling like they are going the direction of Seldon's grand daughter for some of her character, but it was handled much more gracefully in that book. None of it makes any sense, and I suspect Asimov would have turned it off by this point. I really don't understand what they are doing.

They seem to want action scenes in every episode, so the write a script that allows for that. It's not at all necessary. It would be like trying to shoe horn in a space battle into every episode of The Expanse.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #49
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:27 AM   #50
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So many Cleons...just eons and eons o' Cleons.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #51
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Just came in to say I've given up on this show. It's trash.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #52
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really really want it to be good. But it's missed the point so badly it's painful to watch.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I really really want it to be good. But it's missed the point so badly it's painful to watch.
I'm not there yet. You cant mess up the source material this badly....right?

Right?

Old 11-04-2021, 02:16 PM   #54
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I've given up on it. Haven't even watched the last episode, but after reading the reactions to it I removed it from my queue. Just don't have time for a merely average to bad sci-fi show when there's so many other series of higher quality available. We're in the golden age of TV shows right now, if you're spending that kind of budget for effects but can't bother with decent writing or acting it's just a setup for failure
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:19 PM   #55
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I've given up on it. Haven't even watched the last episode, but after reading the reactions to it I removed it from my queue. Just don't have time for a merely average to bad sci-fi show when there's so many other series of higher quality available. We're in the golden age of TV shows right now, if you're spending that kind of budget for effects but can't bother with decent writing or acting it's just a setup for failure
Le Sigh.

This is problem. The 'decent writing' was already done and gift-wrapped for them.

I dont blame you. I'm going to continue. I hope they get back to what this was supposed to be.

Old 11-05-2021, 06:58 PM   #56
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

It started out with a lot of promise and slowly went downhill to a point where it’s become a popcorn sci-fi series. Disappointed.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to badradio For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 11-05-2021, 07:06 PM   #57
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I’m with ya.

I bailed a few episodes ago. It was so bad.

Just checking back in to see if things had picked up. I’ve received my answer.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:08 PM   #58
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
That sums it up for me. Removing it from the books and looking at it just as standalone stories, the Cleons are pretty interesting. I'd watch a whole series based on the Cleons. The Terminus and Gaal/Hari storylines are so weak though.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 04:38 PM   #59
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

So The Invictus is full on plagiarism of Event Horizon. The bridge has the same cross-shaped window, the entire ship looks just like the jump drive to hell.

Then we also have a rip-off of Dune where computers cannot navigate space, but you need a human brain so specialized living space navigators have to plug into the ship to plot jump points.

Salvor has the abilities of Domino from Deadpool where luck/probability always go her way for no rational reason.

Gaal bails because she has a temper tantrum and has had enough of everything, deciding its better to take a 130 year journey in a pod back to her backwards religious planet rather than go to Hari's homeworld. Oh also, she has full on prescient abilities down to knowing the split second to block a micro asteroid moving faster than a bullet from hitting her, again for no rational reason whatsoever.

Lee Pace is holding the show on his shoulders. Brother day's political moves as and moral ambiguity is the only thing really worth watching. The whole Cleon Genetic dynasty doesn't exist in the books. It's all a fabrication for this show.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-06-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:50 AM   #60
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

This episode shat on Asimov's face. Disgusting, and went against everything Asimov ever stood for.