Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #22
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
They made the host too much a big deal on Jeopardy and now no host can fit that standard. Heck, a 40 year old Alex Trebek today would have a social media history and not be hired.
I feel like I'm the only person who read the Ringer article and saw all the other concerning info about the way he managed people and the shows he worked on? The way he excluded people who have worked on the show for decades when doing the hosting search? The dumb comments he made on a podcast don't seem to be the only thing people should be worried about.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 12:00 PM   #23
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1428726415088930819
Old 08-20-2021, 12:12 PM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wont be happy until Samuel L. Jackson gets a fair chance.

"English MF! Do you speak it??"

"Say 'What is' again! Say 'What is' again! I dare you!"

I can see the elderly white people fainting in their living-rooms already.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #25
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure that guest hosts was a good idea. When Bob Barker retired they just replaced him with Drew Carey and it's now been 10+ years. No issues.

They made the host too much a big deal on Jeopardy and now no host can fit that standard. Heck, a 40 year old Alex Trebek today would have a social media history and not be hired.

Like I said in the other thread, if you're resorting to digging up podcast now? Forget it. Those are unfiltered.
This is a good point. Such a drawn out public search was a bad idea. They should have had someone lined up as soon as Alex said he was dying. They could have even gotten his public blessing, which would have gone a long way to avoiding controversy.

All the guests hosts did was create divisiveness. All these controversy articles keep saying Lavar was a fan favourite but I'll be honest, I thought he was quite weak. Although there are conspiracy theories that he was intentionally sabotaged by Richards. Same with Jennings.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #26
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I feel like I'm the only person who read the Ringer article and saw all the other concerning info about the way he managed people and the shows he worked on? The way he excluded people who have worked on the show for decades when doing the hosting search? The dumb comments he made on a podcast don't seem to be the only thing people should be worried about.

That was what made him resign. The Ringer article alone was alarming but they hired him knowing this, or he hired himself. It's all just a mess.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:42 PM   #27
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I also dont think Jeopardy and The Price is Right are really that comparable.

Jeopardy has held itself something of a 'step above.'

There is a slight difference between having vast amounts of knowledge spanning a veritable cornucopia of topics and being able to guess the price of a block of butter.

The standards are likely a little higher.

It's just the host not the contestant. Jeopardy and its fans probably value it too high. Bet you Drew Carey could host Jeopardy no problem. In fact Richards lost out to Carey to host The Price is Right.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:16 PM   #28
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Thanks for the new thread, I tried to change the title on the old one and I couldn't for some reason.

I think Jennings is probably the best candidate at this point. Maybe have LeVar come in and do the occasional game, too?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:19 PM   #29
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
This is a good point. Such a drawn out public search was a bad idea. They should have had someone lined up as soon as Alex said he was dying. They could have even gotten his public blessing, which would have gone a long way to avoiding controversy.

All the guests hosts did was create divisiveness. All these controversy articles keep saying Lavar was a fan favourite but I'll be honest, I thought he was quite weak. Although there are conspiracy theories that he was intentionally sabotaged by Richards. Same with Jennings.
Honestly, I'm not sure. I've seen hand-picked successors that create more controversy than giving people fair auditions.

What if Trebek had hand-picked Richards? That then potentially taints Trebek.

I was one of the people firmly on the LeVar bandwagon. I thought he would be awesome and he genuinely values reading and learning, its a cause he has dedicated a good chunk of his life to.

Then I watched him do it and changed my mind.

Maybe he just needs some coaching? Maybe some time to grow into the role? Maybe he's just not cut out for it.

I'm allowed to change my mind based on the audition. And I have. It sucks because in my mind I thought he'd be perfect, but he wasnt. Thems the breaks and thats why they have auditions/job-interviews.

Right now my short-list would be:

- Jennings
- Rodgers
- Buzzy

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:59 PM   #30
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Jeopardy isn't just memorization. Categories like crossword clues, before and after, and some where you merge words and phrases all require more than just memorization. And if you don't have things memorized, you can still tease out the correct response by using the clues provided.

I don’t doubt some of the questions are more challenging, but whenever I have watched the vast majority are definitely exercises in recollection more than what’s the next shape in this series of patterns or a Google / Microsoft interview question.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:19 PM   #31
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1428749180051333121
Old 08-20-2021, 02:47 PM   #32
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Bingo. Trebek was just another schmuck in a suit back in '84, former host of a succession of failed game shows. If the pressure of replacing Art Fleming in '84 was anywhere near as high as replacing Alex Trebek today, Trebek never would have been Jeopardy! host in the first place.

They should have done precisely what The Price is Right producers did: held private auditions, picked a new host, and went with it. This parade of guest hosts publicly auditioning for the job was a terrible idea.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:48 PM   #33
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's probably been great for ratings, though.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:50 PM   #34
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

It would be interesting to know the ratings. I'd baselessly wager that they're worse than the last couple months' worth of tapings hosted by Trebek.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:58 PM   #35
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewals...h=24fac610230f

Interesting, only Jennings came close.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:15 PM   #36
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Thanks for the new thread, I tried to change the title on the old one and I couldn't for some reason.

I think Jennings is probably the best candidate at this point. Maybe have LeVar come in and do the occasional game, too?
LeVar was terrible
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:16 PM   #37
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewals...h=24fac610230f

Interesting, only Jennings came close.
Jennings was first up so had a huge advantage. No matter, they were going to get a higher audience those first couple of weeks. I'd like to see if it tailed off over the weeks or not.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:27 PM   #38
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

That story is also from May, so it doesn't include a lot of the guest hosts.

Here's the full ratings through the first week of August: https://www.nexttv.com/news/jeopardy...-how-they-rank

The lowest-rated weeks were those that were directly against the Olympics, which is to be expected.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:51 PM   #39
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
LeVar was terrible
I thought Blossom was terrible, and she got the gig. LeVar needed some more time to get comfortable but he was still my favourite (loved reading rainbow as a kid so I'm partial)
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 04:02 PM   #40
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
I thought Blossom was terrible, and she got the gig. LeVar needed some more time to get comfortable but he was still my favourite (loved reading rainbow as a kid so I'm partial)
Yeah, I agree with Jiri. LeVar was the worst guest host by a mile - I know he didn't have time to get into it, but there were a ton of unforced errors, and a major reliance on his cards. You didn't see that with some of the other guest hosts, who were in the same boat.

Still hoping Buzzy gets the role. David Faber was also a great host - he'd be a very safe choice (which might be something they're looking for right now).

Maybe next time, don't let the guy doing the hiring decisions hire himself.
Probably should have done a better job of vetting himself too.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
double jeopardy , therapists , who is