Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2021, 11:37 AM   #2261
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
I mean that if you compare viewing figures to the likes of the Sopranos, GoT, Sex and the City, or TD, it's pretty low. It's barely doing Veep numbers despite being as good as all those if not better.
Those first 3 were cultural phenomena in a different era. It's hard to compare apples to apples ratings too since many HBO subscribers don't even have the live channel anymore or watch it if they do.

It seems like it is successful enough to keep getting renewed and the production quality looks very well funded.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #2262
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've rewatched the "piss mad" scene 4 or 5 times and I still laugh.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:47 AM   #2263
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
That first episode is a masterpiece in itself.

Just taking a quick perusal at ratings and it looks like Yellowstone has double the viewership as succession. I know yellowstone has some fans on here but that show is peak trash drama
A little condescending there, but thats okay.

Clearly Yellowstone has tapped into a reservoir of viewership that other shows have not.

Thats not to say that one is objectively better than the other. TV shows dont typically have 'teams' because viewership of one does not make viewership of another mutually exclusive.

An individual can like them both.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:19 PM   #2264
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can say that I like both Succession and Yellowstone for vastly different reasons. Succession is a smart show that shows the corporate world, while Yellowstone has some of the most beautiful scenery on TV (I am biased with my deep love for Montana though).
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #2265
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
I can say that I like both Succession and Yellowstone for vastly different reasons. Succession is a smart show that shows the corporate world, while Yellowstone has some of the most beautiful scenery on TV (I am biased with my deep love for Montana though).
I've enjoyed parts of Yellowstone, but this year has been pretty bad so far. So much time has been spent on Jimmy and the fancy horse guy to set up a spin off that I can't imagine anyone wants to see.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:01 PM   #2266
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
A little condescending there, but thats okay.

Clearly Yellowstone has tapped into a reservoir of viewership that other shows have not.

Thats not to say that one is objectively better than the other. TV shows don't typically have 'teams' because viewership of one does not make viewership of another mutually exclusive.

An individual can like them both.
you missed the "some fans on here" meaning on CP. Of course, double the viewership would mean Yellowstone has more than "some fans"

I also wasn't cheering for any one team. I was surprised Yellowstone had the viewership given that both shows operate on subscription based TV channels and streaming platforms.

I suppose Yellowstone is on Amazon in Canada correct? I guess many people have access to that through Prime vs an HBO tv subscription.

They actually have the same IMDB rating (8.7) which is funny.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:08 PM   #2267
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I suppose Yellowstone is on Amazon in Canada correct? I guess many people have access to that through Prime vs an HBO tv subscription.
If you get the Paramount channel with your Shaw subscription it is on there as well "for free".

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 02:14 PM   #2268
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
you missed the "some fans on here" meaning on CP. Of course, double the viewership would mean Yellowstone has more than "some fans"

I also wasn't cheering for any one team. I was surprised Yellowstone had the viewership given that both shows operate on subscription based TV channels and streaming platforms.

Yellowstone is on the Paramount network in the US which is a linear basic cable channel that used to be known as Spike TV which used to be known as TNN, and current episodes aren't on any streaming services other than the pay per episode. So most will watch on the linear channel. Completely different than HBO that is usually a standalone subscription.
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 03:14 PM   #2269
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I mean that if you compare viewing figures to the likes of the Sopranos, GoT, Sex and the City, or TD, it's pretty low. It's barely doing Veep numbers despite being as good as all those if not better.
I think a lot of people watched the first few episodes like I did then never went back. The characters are all terrible people, so there's no one to root for or get attached to. I tried to get into it but I found it very boring watching ultra rich people be #######s to each other
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:46 PM   #2270
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I think a lot of people watched the first few episodes like I did then never went back. The characters are all terrible people, so there's no one to root for or get attached to. I tried to get into it but I found it very boring watching ultra rich people be #######s to each other

I think that’s part of the entertainment. Just as you start to feel some sympathy for a character, they go and de-redeem themselves.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:23 PM   #2271
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That was me. I barely got past the first few episodes, but now there's a lot of unexpected humor and intriguing drama, even if it is still rich people being #######s to each other. You start to see deeper character traits develop and factions warring, not dissimilar to game of thrones, along with all the political machinations. To me, that's where it gets interesting.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:36 PM   #2272
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, Prime carries new episodes of Yellowstone. There was a glitch in the system and people were panicking when they couldn't watch the new episode last night. I saw that it finally dropped when I went to bed.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:38 PM   #2273
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Yes, Prime carries new episodes of Yellowstone. There was a glitch in the system and people were panicking when they couldn't watch the new episode last night. I saw that it finally dropped when I went to bed.
I wasnt panicking but I was a little disappointed. Its a nice show to watch with my wife on Sunday nights.

Initially I assumed that they just werent going to air one on American Thanksgiving.

Spoilered for size.

Spoiler!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-29-2021, 11:18 PM   #2274
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I wasnt panicking but I was a little disappointed. Its a nice show to watch with my wife on Sunday nights.

Initially I assumed that they just werent going to air one on American Thanksgiving.

Spoilered for size.

Spoiler!
A Facebook friend was saying that they have to buy Shaw so they could watch Yellowstone on Universal because it wasn't going to be on Amazon anymore. Like... holy kneee jerk reaction Batman.

It was disappointing because we were looking forward to watching a fresh new episode. Instead we keep trucking through old episodes of Criminal Minds.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:55 AM   #2275
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
A Facebook friend was saying that they have to buy Shaw so they could watch Yellowstone on Universal because it wasn't going to be on Amazon anymore. Like... holy kneee jerk reaction Batman.

It was disappointing because we were looking forward to watching a fresh new episode. Instead we keep trucking through old episodes of Criminal Minds.
Too many goddamned streaming services.

This is becoming just like Cable except with extra steps and thus worse.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 10:00 AM   #2276
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Succession is an absolute powerhouse of a show and you can see it being star turns for much of the cast. The writing and acting are incredibly sharp.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:32 AM   #2277
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I also don't really understand this "they are all terrible people" with whom you can't sympathize. Roman is the only character who fits that bill for me. I like everyone else and find them to be pretty normal considering their circumstances.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:40 AM   #2278
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default I need a new TV series to get into (old or new) v2

I only feel bad for Greg, mostly cause he’s getting screwed over by everybody and having to deal with Tom’s sadistic treatment of him.

All of the other main characters are extremely self-serving.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:33 AM   #2279
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I also don't really understand this "they are all terrible people" with whom you can't sympathize. Roman is the only character who fits that bill for me. I like everyone else and find them to be pretty normal considering their circumstances.
Ha, Roman is the only one I sort of cheer for as he's the only one who seems self aware in his faults. Kendall and Tom are particularly awful people compensating for all their faults and insecurities by being horrible to everyone else. I can't help seeing Don Jr in Kendall and can't stand all his need for adoration.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:19 PM   #2280
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lots of great shows are filled with people who do bad things. It tends to make for much better drama.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote