Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2021, 07:27 AM   #3341
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I ride through the winter, and last year I converted an old mountain bike to my winter bike. As others have said, it was nice to go for a ride on my summer bike on Friday. A few more tips:

- I have a balaclava hoodie that I swear by. Occasionally you will find one at the outlet store- I think I only paid around $50 for mine.
- I use my ski helmet for most of the winter. It is warmer and also fits my ski goggles better.
- I use regular winter boots when I ride, however this year I also bought heated socks. I'll see how those work.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 10:15 AM   #3342
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Well I pulled the trigger on the Kickr Core over the weekend. I kept being warned by people to get a trainer or they would be sold out entirely for the season and the store was indeed down to its last one.

Sporting Life had their spend $450 and get $100 credit back so I went for it.

Now, the only issue is that I need to find a compatible cassette for this as well. Either an 11 speed for my 105 carbon bike in storage or my Sora 9 speed that is my regular commuter (not afraid of locking up outside bike).

That and I need to clear up space in my condo to set this up in front of a TV. Do you guys have one of those trainer mats? Or possibly get one of those plastic holders for your front wheel?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 11:02 AM   #3343
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Now, the only issue is that I need to find a compatible cassette for this as well. Either an 11 speed for my 105 carbon bike in storage or my Sora 9 speed that is my regular commuter (not afraid of locking up outside bike).

That and I need to clear up space in my condo to set this up in front of a TV. Do you guys have one of those trainer mats? Or possibly get one of those plastic holders for your front wheel?
I would use your least used bike on the trainer if possible. That way, when the weather is unpredictable (usually fall and spring), you're not having to swap off the bike you want to ride.

I just use an old yoga mat under my bike to protect the floor from sweat. I do have a wheel block. I think I just picked one up on Amazon but all the bike shops should have them as well.

If you're in a wood frame condo, you might want to consider more floor padding to dampen some of the sound.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:56 AM   #3344
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I pulled the trigger on the Kickr Core over the weekend. I kept being warned by people to get a trainer or they would be sold out entirely for the season and the store was indeed down to its last one.

I have the Wahoo Kickr (model one above Kickr Core). You shouldn't need the block for the front wheel. They are designed so you change the setting on the trainer for what type of bike size and cassette you have, and your wheel sits on the ground. This allows you to ride your attached bike with all dimensions as if you were riding it outside on two wheels.

I have the Wahoo mat. It's nothing special, but it does the job. I would never buy the Kickr fan. Sure it is compact and looks neat, but it's $360. I bought a fan from Home Hardware for $50 and it works well. If the Kickr climb grade simulator was cheaper, I'd get that, but at $900 it's a hard pass from me. Climbing on Zwift is not climbing. All that happens is the resistance gets stronger. You aren't using your climbing muscles, which is why I maintain that any climbing done on a trainer doesn't count as ascent. It's also why I always ride Tempus Fugit when on Zwift, to get the minimal ascent possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:11 PM   #3345
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Just take the cassette of your bike that you're throwing on the trainer, chain whip and cassette removal tool will be cheaper than a new cassette. Cassettes should last quite a while as long as your change your chain out regularly
Old 11-15-2021, 12:46 PM   #3346
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Your Kickr should come with a plastic holder for your front wheel. Some people put a textbook underneath to elevate it slightly (helps a bit with weight distribution on a static bike).

You should definitely get a mat. Thicker than a yoga mat. Lots of options on Amazon.

If it were me I would buy a matching cassette so you don’t have one less thing to adjust when transferring from indoors to outdoors but your call — either will be sufficient for training (you don’t need the extra gearing of an 11 speed).

Last edited by Flames0910; 11-15-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #3347
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Your Kickr should come with a plastic holder for your front wheel. Some people put a textbook underneath to elevate it slightly (helps a bit with weight distribution on a static bike).

You should definitely get a mat. Thicker than a yoga mat. Lots of options on Amazon.

If it were me I would buy a matching cassette so you don’t have one less thing to adjust when transferring from indoors to outdoors but your call — either will be sufficient for training (you don’t need the extra gearing of an 11 speed).
Yeah, I was looking at the option of getting a cheap Chinese Shimano compatible road cassette and weight doesn't matter on the trainer. Actually the $1799 Kickr comes with a Sunrace 11 spd cassette in the box. Decathlon has 11 spd no-name cassettes for $35.

But you have a good point that each cassette is different and my biggest worry is screwing up the indexing.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:29 PM   #3348
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I was looking at the option of getting a cheap Chinese Shimano compatible road cassette and weight doesn't matter on the trainer. Actually the $1799 Kickr comes with a Sunrace 11 spd cassette in the box. Decathlon has 11 spd no-name cassettes for $35.

But you have a good point that each cassette is different and my biggest worry is screwing up the indexing.
Congrats on the purchase! I hope you enjoy it and you’re able to get a ton of use out of it, for me I’ve never regretted getting it, it has been well worth the money.

I don’t use a block for the front wheel, never felt the need. I do have a piece of cardboard underneath it just to prevent marking of the floor.

My cheapo version of a cycling desk, I got the kickr box inside of a brown same sized shipping box, and I just have the 2 boxes on either side of the front wheel with a hardwood sample piece overtop as the desk portion. Totally ghetto, but works well enough I’ve never felt the need to change it.

Is the trainer going to be on a hard floor or carpet? Mines on a hard floor, so cleaning up around it isn’t as big an issue, but a cheap yoga mat or old section of carpet is a good idea…between sweat, gunk getting shed off of the drivetrain, and maybe some crumbs from whatever your nutrition is, the floor around it is going to get a bit gross.

A good fan is vital. Doesn’t have to be expensive, but a tall one around body and head height, and close and decently powerful makes a big difference to both comfort and performance.

And I’d just get a cheap cassette like you mentioned dedicated to the trainer for whatever bike your going to put on it. It shouldn’t affect the indexing at all, it’s just a matter of how smoothly it shifts when on the trainer. And if you end up doing any structured training, you’ll usually be in ERG mode for that in which case you’ll just set up a straight chain line and otherwise no shifting.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 11-15-2021 at 07:38 PM.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:53 AM   #3349
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a wee bit of wind our there this morning...almost brought me to a standstill a couple of times, always under the overpasses where the wind tunnel really gets going good.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #3350
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

first world cycling problem... with Garmin device.
So I haven't changed my user heart rate zone settings in a few weeks. I have great midday bike ride on Nosehill.. lots of hammering and high efforts. Get home, download, and suddenly Garmin decides I only had 1-2 mins of intensity minutes even though I'm in my level 4 (of 5) zones, which for me is my lactate threshold zone (in other words, pushing super hard, but barely sub anaerobic). Before it would count all of level 4 as intensity minutes but now it doesn't. anyone else get this?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #3351
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quick question if anybody knows. Is there a cycle friendly bridge under Crowchild Trail crossing the Bow river? Google street view almost lets me see it; or what appears to be one. I'm parked near Pumphouse again and want to get a few extra kilometres in after work. Figured that would be a good way from downtown.
https://goo.gl/maps/cFy9gRq8EXSJYHr67
Old 11-23-2021, 10:27 AM   #3352
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Quick question if anybody knows. Is there a cycle friendly bridge under Crowchild Trail crossing the Bow river? Google street view almost lets me see it; or what appears to be one. I'm parked near Pumphouse again and want to get a few extra kilometres in after work. Figured that would be a good way from downtown.
Yes, under Crowchild.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 01:43 PM   #3353
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yes, under Crowchild.
I’d suggest since you’re at the pump house just ride the paths on the north and south sides of the river from Crowchild all the way down past the weir. Quite a few bike friendly crossings so very easy to add a few kms here and there. Really it’s quite hard to get lost or in any trouble. Oh… er… sometimes around the Edmonton Trail bridge (both north and south sides) there can be a few sketchy people. Just don’t stop… keep moving…
Old 11-24-2021, 02:21 PM   #3354
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

If you plan on going as far as edworthy bridge, keep on the north side of the river, the south side is now blocked by “June” the annual glacial buildup of treachery

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:26 PM   #3355
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watch for wayward glass under Reconciliation bridge and the 5th avenue flyover. Other than that it's fine.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #3356
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
If you plan on going as far as edworthy bridge, keep on the north side of the river, the south side is now blocked by “June” the annual glacial buildup of treachery

Never heard it called that but it fits.

Actually it just needs an adequate amount of miscreant traffic, some crusty snow for traction, lots of dirt/rocks, and it becomes marginally usable again. I remember a few years back the glacier got as high as the fence, or dang close to it. And um... yeah... I was on my bike so that was pretty sketchy... and that was attempting to walk across the glacier with one hand one the small remaining bit of fence, the other holding onto my stupid bike that was sliding everywhere, whilst my feet took turns losing traction.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 08:49 PM   #3357
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Thanks guys. Yeah- I often take the north side of the river as I head east when I am doing the full commute. I guess I’ve been lucky with glass.

I should be good for my commute tomorrow which should push me over 3000 km for the year- a new personal best.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 11:08 PM   #3358
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Wahoo trainers are 10% off at Sporting Life if you can still find one in stock! Not sure if it is a Black Friday only deal here.

I've never seen trainers go on sale elsewhere.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:39 AM   #3359
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wahoo trainers are 10% off at Sporting Life if you can still find one in stock! Not sure if it is a Black Friday only deal here.

I've never seen trainers go on sale elsewhere.
Wahoo trainers are on sale everywhere they are sold this year. Also tacx neos and some other tacxs.

Wahoo/ HLC is making up the 10% to dealers . It's like a forced sale so they are giving us the 10% credit. We have a bunch if anyone's interested.

https://www.rockcitycycles.ca/sitese...search=Trainer
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #3360
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I hit 1800 kms on Thursday. I never imagined I would be on my bike this much this year. It’s been remarkable and truly enjoyable.

[/url]

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post: