Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
Jojado
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Flames [News] Kraft Hockeyville 2020 Twillingate, NL - Flames connection - rd 1 ends FEB 9TH

My childhood rink in Twillingate, Newfoundland is making a bid to become Kraft Hockeyville 2020.

https://www.krafthockeyville.ca/comm.../georgehawkins

The kicker for this bid is the Calgary connection. As a Flame, Gary Roberts came to Twillingate in 1993 to host a hockey school and honestly it would be an understatement to say it made a major impact. There was a line-up longer than the length of the hockey rink to get his autograph. His school was also well attended, and in the following years there were significant improvements made to the arena: new glass around the rink (to replace hard-wire mesh), a new spacious 2nd-level lounge and a new Zamboni (previously they were using a farm tractor hauling hot water tanks).

Last time I was at this arena was in January 2019. It has held up fairly well, but one thing that stood out - in a bad way - was the quality of the ice. It was hard to stop and do crosscuts (I'm not a bad skater). The temperature in the arena was also quite frigid, making it uncomfortable for spectators.

The people of Twillingate are very proud and the arena is absolutely a focal point in the community. They are borderline fanatical. No doubt they'd roll out the red carpet if they were to win. Newfoundland is renowned for its hospitality and this would definitely crank it up to 11.

So if you feel like dropping a note, writing a story or just want to see what all the fuss it about, check the link. Gary Roberts and his training centre in Toronto have also endorsed the bid.

Last edited by Jojado; 01-24-2020 at 12:49 AM.
Jojado is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jojado For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #2
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Must be what Gundo wanted to say in the other Hockeyville thread he bumped from 2 years ago.

SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When I was in Newfoundland last summer the people of Twillingate were especially wonderful. Newfoundlanders in general are the best but Twillingate was really special for me.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #4
Jojado
Backup Goalie

Exp:

https://www.krafthockeyville.ca/comm.../georgehawkins

Bumping this as the first round deadline is this coming Sunday night, Feb 9th at 10pm MT (12 midnight ET).

A like or short note counts as something; a short story submission makes the biggest positive impact on the community's rating.

Last edited by Jojado; 02-07-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
Jojado
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Twillingate made the Top 4 in Kraft Hockeyville so for those of you who went ahead and made a submission back in Jan/Feb it's very much appreciated and you'll likely be seeing more of the town on the NHL broadcasts in the coming days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojado For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 09:15 PM   #6
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Tyne Valley, PEI takes it this year. after a fire destroyed their arena the kids from many municipalities had to play on outdoor rinks.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote