Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2020, 06:57 AM   #81
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
The covid rules are going to once again be exposed as ridiculous and lacking common sense.

Players will be out practicing and playing games in 3-4 hour blocks where they focus on close contact where they will be breathing heavily on one another.

Then immediately after they have to isolate themselves wearing face coverings and social distancing in all places except their hotel rooms.

There are 35 players currently testing positive for Covid out of the 350 getting tested daily.

Will these 35 players get to have family contact in their hotel rooms?

There is no mention of the numbers who have had Covid and have now tested covid clear.

Austin Matthews was announced to have tested positive for Covid on June 19 18 or more days since he tested positive. Is he good to go?

There is no mention of the results of antibody testing to show who has had covid and recovered. If the NHL has not done that on the 350 or all the members of the players union I would be very surprised. Maybe this information is available to players and that is why they all appear ready to go.

Sometime in the next 2 weeks the Canadian COVID-19 Immunity Task Force will be releasing the results of antibody testing of thousands of Canadians who have donated blood over the last 4 months and is expected that the recovered case rate will be 10 to 20 times what was being reported by only testing symptomatic people.
NHL rules are way more strict than the rules I'm currently working under.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:46 AM   #82
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I’m curious how OT playoff hockey changes without fans. Like everything in all sports will be worse, but I bet losing the building tension there will be the biggest overall loss. 18,000 people audibly holding their breath can’t be replicated.
Well, at least we won't have to hear dummies banging on the glass right underneath the mic
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #83
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Well, at least we won't have to hear dummies banging on the glass right underneath the mic
Or American fans standing all overtime, or sometimes all game. This one bothers me for some reason. I think it's because you don't get the jumping out of your seat when something exciting happens. Seems strange to me.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:43 AM   #84
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrell View Post
Or American fans standing all overtime, or sometimes all game. This one bothers me for some reason. I think it's because you don't get the jumping out of your seat when something exciting happens. Seems strange to me.
They stand all football game in certain NFL cites as well.. I find the sitting in your seat calming while watching live sports to be the strange thing.

Try standing during play at the dome, won't last 1 minute.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #85
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Free Agency will be fun again!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1280998227987365888

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #86
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder why they eliminated that? They give reasoning?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:13 PM   #87
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I wonder why they eliminated that? They give reasoning?
I would imagine probably to make it more of a ratings hit.

Not very exciting when the big name players all are rumored signings and are off the board before July 1st.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:15 PM   #88
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I would imagine probably to make it more of a ratings hit.

Not very exciting when the big name players all are rumored signings and are off the board before July 1st.
Yeah, but I don't think the NHL cares that much about TSN/Snet ratings for free agent frenzy do they?

Or maybe they do...I dunno.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:31 AM   #89
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but I don't think the NHL cares that much about TSN/Snet ratings for free agent frenzy do they?

Ratings for the non-game aspect of sports are important too, look at how much the draft and draft lottery have evolved to maximize their value to TV.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:27 AM   #90
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Oh yeah they definitely do, they can use those rating as positives when negotiating a new TV contract, and the new TV deal ends in 2025-26. The NHL will argue having the TV deal gives them more access for these TV events in trade deadline day, the NHL draft and free agent frenzy, so giving a boost to the rating on July 1st could be profitable for the NHL.

This new CBA extension expires the same time as the Canadian TV deal. IIRC the previous Canadian TV deal was 5.2b over 12 years, while the American deal was only 2b over 10 years. So the potential of adding a little more revenue is good for both the league and the players.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:40 PM   #91
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Is this news not considered an issue yet or just not big enough to cause a ripple?

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-3a4128aad60e/

Edmonton’s Misericordia Community Hospital is effectively shutting its doors to the public to battle a “full facility” COVID-19 outbreak that has now left three patients dead and another 20 patients and 15 staff infected, Alberta Health Services said Wednesday....
bobbylouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #92
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless they're taken to that hospital, I don't see how it would be an issue of any kind.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #93
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Unless they're taken to that hospital, I don't see how it would be an issue of any kind.
I'm not too familiar with hospitals in Edmonton, but wouldn't U of A be the likely destination if there were a major injury?
Old 07-09-2020, 06:36 PM   #94
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I'm not too familiar with hospitals in Edmonton, but wouldn't U of A be the likely destination if there were a major injury?
Royal Alex is closest, and the U of A has some of the more advanced equipment.

The Mis as they call it is in West Edmonton by the Mall and is part of the Covenant or Catholic influenced health system. It is by far the most dilapidated hospital in the region. The buildings are in a state where replacing them is less costly than repairing them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 10:24 PM   #95
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hub Hotels. Flames are in the cootie-free hotel...

I wonder if this is just for the play-ins, or will the Flames, Wild, and Blackhawks stay at Sutton Place even after the first round starts?

At first, I thought that "Hotel X" was some kind of secret mystery hotel, but I guess that's the name of an actual hotel in Toronto.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:12 AM   #96
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Bahahahaha! The “Hub City Announcement Laughing Guy Meme” is even better now.

Royal York and Hotel X or........ Sutton Place and The Marriot in Edmonton. Bahahahaha
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:31 AM   #97
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Hub Hotels. Flames are in the cootie-free hotel...

I wonder if this is just for the play-ins, or will the Flames, Wild, and Blackhawks stay at Sutton Place even after the first round starts?

At first, I thought that "Hotel X" was some kind of secret mystery hotel, but I guess that's the name of an actual hotel in Toronto.
When I first looked I thought the same as you about Hotel X