Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #21
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
If things go as planned, and they start next season in December (I think January would be too late/ambitious if they intend to catch up in the next few years), it'll be a fast paced schedule like the NBA is.

There's going to be a lot of injuries coming as a result of this. Or at the very least, much more use of scratches to rest up players. Teams are gonna be making a lot of AHL callups, so organizational depth is going to be extremely crucial.

Is there even going to be an AhL to call up players from next year? I have no idea what the plan is for prospects for the next 12 months ?
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #22
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I wonder if the NHL would do like MLB and go to a different more regional schedule in the next two years to try and get back into their previous routine. Once it becomes a 32 team league you can do 6 Division, 4 Conference and 8 inter Conference games to get to 82 games. Which would mean 4 road games out of Conference.
Think the NHL has a strong mandate to make every team face each other at least twice so then every team (and their superstars ideally) can visit every NHL arena. Lots of owners in the west complained about getting Ovechkin or Crosby in their buildings once every few years.

I think the 32 team schedule breakdown would be more like this:

4 Division, 3/2 split for conference (3 games against 6 opponents, 2 games against 2 opponents - this would be yearly rotation), and 2 for interconference.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #23
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Think the NHL has a strong mandate to make every team face each other at least twice so then every team (and their superstars ideally) can visit every NHL arena. Lots of owners in the west complained about getting Ovechkin or Crosby in their buildings once every few years.

I think the 32 team schedule breakdown would be more like this:

4 Division, 3/2 split for conference (3 games against 6 opponents, 2 games against 2 opponents - this would be yearly rotation), and 2 for interconference.
Yes, but that was then. This is now.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:46 PM   #24
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Yes, but that was then. This is now.
And we're talking about the future. And in the future, if teams can travel within their own division for games that fans can attend, then they can travel the continent on a yearly basis.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #25
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

So do these amendments take place immediately or in 2 years once the extension kicks in?
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:18 PM   #26
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
So do these amendments take place immediately or in 2 years once the extension kicks in?

It would be immediate. The first two years over-write the current CBA.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 04:38 PM   #27
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
I wonder if they consider allowing expanded rosters due to a condensed schedule next year
That's a good point. Methinks they won't, but I would definitely think it'd be considered. Hopefully the players don't get burnt out.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #28
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
That's a good point. Methinks they won't, but I would definitely think it'd be considered. Hopefully the players don't get burnt out.

Im thinking they will have unlimited roster spots. Highly doubtful that there is any minor league or junior league hockey next year, so those eligible would likely be allowed to skate/practice with the big club. College guys would be another set of circumstances.

Can't have to many obviously as the main guys need to get that work in (should there even be a season) but younger guys cant go without skating and practice for what could amount to 18 months when all is said and done.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:59 PM   #29
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Im thinking they will have unlimited roster spots. Highly doubtful that there is any minor league or junior league hockey next year, so those eligible would likely be allowed to skate/practice with the big club. College guys would be another set of circumstances.

Can't have to many obviously as the main guys need to get that work in (should there even be a season) but younger guys cant go without skating and practice for what could amount to 18 months when all is said and done.
That will be hard to figure out using the salary cap then.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:35 PM   #30
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

LOL salary cap at 81 million.

When the federal money stops flowing we are entering the biggest recession in a century. The NHL will be playing in empty buildings even if there is a widely available vaccine
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:19 PM   #31
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes me wonder how those contracts are structured and if there’s a “if for some reason games aren’t played you don’t get paid” clause for AHL/2 way contracts
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:37 PM   #32
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should join AHL rosters and NHL rosters, travel together and do double headers. No need for call ups. Would be tricky to do with various team ownerships, loaned players and AHL only deals but there could be some efficiencies.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #33
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I wonder if they don't allow a practice roster type of thing like what they have in football. Allow teams to have a protected list of like 28 players over the age of 20 type of thing but have a practice squad for guys who are not on the regular 28 man roster. Junior age players can be on the practice squad but are exempt from protection lists or being claimed by other teams. If a player gets injured you can bring up a guy from the practice squad. If another team has injuries they can sign another unprotected player from another teams practice roster.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #34
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
LOL salary cap at 81 million.

When the federal money stops flowing we are entering the biggest recession in a century. The NHL will be playing in empty buildings even if there is a widely available vaccine
The cap floor/ceiling numbers have never been anything more than a general guideline/estimate. I've long advocated for a fixed base 100 system, where players simply agree to a %...which is really what they've been doing all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
They should join AHL rosters and NHL rosters, travel together and do double headers. No need for call ups. Would be tricky to do with various team ownerships, loaned players and AHL only deals but there could be some efficiencies.
Love this idea. Might be tough for a few teams that are distant from their affiliates, but the players themselves are already transient, and most AHL organizational staff will be redundant or transient enough themselves..
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #35
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I wonder if they don't allow a practice roster type of thing like what they have in football. Allow teams to have a protected list of like 28 players over the age of 20 type of thing but have a practice squad for guys who are not on the regular 28 man roster. Junior age players can be on the practice squad but are exempt from protection lists or being claimed by other teams. If a player gets injured you can bring up a guy from the practice squad. If another team has injuries they can sign another unprotected player from another teams practice roster.
I think if there is no minor leagues, we will definitely see practice squads for sure and probably a bunch of prospect tournaments. I imagine they will stick with the 25 man roster, but anyone under contract and potentially unsigned players on their reserve list if they sign a PTO/ATO of sorts, would be eligible to be on the practice squad as if there is no AHL or ECHL, there likely won't be a CHL season either
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:58 PM   #36
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that according to all the tweets, players have 3 days from vote ratification to opt out with no penalty. So by later this week.
Families are allowed in the bubble for the SCF.
If you leave the bubble for serious circumstances, when you come back you have to quarantine for at least 4 days.
Breach of the bubble rules could result in loss of draft picks.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:20 PM   #37
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Respect the sanctity of The Bubble.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:54 PM   #38
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Breach of the bubble rules could result in loss of draft picks.
Man, do I ever want to see this happen to the Oilers. One of their players breaches the bubble during the playoffs to have a non-game day nap with their girlfriend. They lose a draft pick and we could watch the fan base turn on the offending player. I hope its James Neal.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:45 PM   #39
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Man, do I ever want to see this happen to the Oilers. One of their players breaches the bubble during the playoffs to have a non-game day nap with their girlfriend. They lose a draft pick and we could watch the fan base turn on the offending player. I hope its James Neal.
Would be great if McPerfect was caught sneaking out in the night to score a handy.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:31 AM   #40
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Would be great if McPerfect was caught sneaking out in the night to score a handy.
Why go for a handy when Kassian can give him a gummer
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post: