Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-22-2019, 10:41 PM   #3301
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

One for the Old Skool Calgary footie fan.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #3302
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I heard the same as what was echoed before: A more red home shirt and all Can PL clubs will apparently have black away shirts.

Last edited by Kipper is King; 11-24-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #3303
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

All clubs wearing black on the road? Good call guys. Would hate for teams to have their own identities or anything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 08:23 AM   #3304
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Yeah I am not OK with this. Black-colored kits may look sleek but they're going to limit the color palettes of teams to ensure their home jerseys are succinct, and provide a bit of a color eyesore on the field, especially if the home side has darker color schemes themselves (Edmonton I'm looking at you). Additionally, this is a wasted opportunity for merchandising as no one is going to buy the black jerseys because they're all going to look generally the same.

Basically the league should ensure the field is populated with a "red vs. blue" situation (extremely contrasting colors), which giving the teams opportunity to fully design/customize their own kits with their preferred colors.

In addition to this, Cavalry switching to pure red and abandoning the Orange and green is kind of a slap in the face to the people who invested all that money into Cavalry last season and feel a sense of pride as being pioneers for the inaugural season.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:30 AM   #3305
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind a black kit every so often, but (if true) mandating it league-wide for away kits is absurd. Cavalry's green away kit was better than most of the other home and away kits.

That being said, I would imagine that black kits sell very well. But that should be up to the team to roll one out every few years. I guess that's the good thing about soccer - kits change frequently, so if you have a stinker, you can always fix it next season. Unlike hockey and shoulder flags... stuck with 'em for a decade or more. I know that's more the club than the league, but still.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #3306
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I don't mind a black kit every so often, but (if true) mandating it league-wide for away kits is absurd. Cavalry's green away kit was better than most of the other home and away kits.

That being said, I would imagine that black kits sell very well. But that should be up to the team to roll one out every few years. I guess that's the good thing about soccer - kits change frequently, so if you have a stinker, you can always fix it next season. Unlike hockey and shoulder flags... stuck with 'em for a decade or more. I know that's more the club than the league, but still.
If the idea is a league wide black kit, they should allow more teams to have a third jersey. If Cavalry rolled out a new red, an away black, and a third green, I bet they would all sell quite well. Most MLS and European teams offer a third kit.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #3307
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
If the idea is a league wide black kit, they should allow more teams to have a third jersey. If Cavalry rolled out a new red, an away black, and a third green, I bet they would all sell quite well. Most MLS and European teams offer a third kit.
If the idea is a league-wide black kit then whoever came up with the idea should probably get drop-kicked in the face.

As far as ideas go its dumb. Really, really dumb.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #3308
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Maybe the league could just hand out generic black pinnies to go over top of everyone's current aways.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #3309
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Maybe the league could just hand out generic black pinnies to go over top of everyone's current aways.
Shirts and skins?

Doesn't give you anything to sell, but cuts down on team op costs. Might be chilly for the finals.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #3310
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Shirts and skins?

Doesn't give you anything to sell, but cuts down on team op costs. Might be chilly for the finals.
That could really work. They could help fix the issue of the split season lacking meaning for the spring season winner by saying the overall winner gets to be shirts in the final!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 11:42 AM   #3311
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Anyone else catch themselves cheering for the Bombers because Forge == Hamilton == Tiger Cats?

I've watched 2 CFL games this year but found myself excited to see Hamilton get upset. I bet Kyle Bekker was devastated.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #3312
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I would have cheered for the Bombers anyway since it had been three decades since they last won. But watching Bob Young fail to buy himself a second championship was a little extra motivation to pick a side.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #3313
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tommy Wheeldon has won the CPL coach of the year award, and Marco Carducci has won the Golden Glove award. Both well deserved.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #3314
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I would have cheered for the Bombers anyway since it had been three decades since they last won. But watching Bob Young fail to buy himself a second championship was a little extra motivation to pick a side.
Now would be a good time to email their COO of the TigerCats and the President of Forge, Matt Afinec, with his perspective into racism allegations in the NHL vs CPL

mafinec@ticats.ca
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #3315
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is the league wide black jerseys and kits are cost cutting by the league and Macron. Sewing or screening different sponsors badges and names on identical stock black kits league wide saves a lot of cost associated with that many extra unique change kit shorts, socks and tops.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 10:17 AM   #3316
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
My guess is the league wide black jerseys and kits are cost cutting by the league and Macron. Sewing or screening different sponsors badges and names on identical stock black kits league wide saves a lot of cost associated with that many extra unique change kit shorts, socks and tops.
Good call, I never thought about it like that. I don't mind the league finding ways to save money, I would rather have longevity over anything else honestly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 03:29 PM   #3317
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
How much money can that really save in the grand scheme of running a professional sports league, though? I know every dollar counts, but even modifying existing template kits to use club colours can't cost that much, right?
Old 11-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #3318
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
How much money can that really save in the grand scheme of running a professional sports league, though? I know every dollar counts, but even modifying existing template kits to use club colours can't cost that much, right?
It could also be simple things like how dirty the jerseys get and going through less as a result.

The league needs to penny pinch and literally every dollar counts.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:48 PM   #3319
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
I agree. The clubs aren't paying retail prices for their kits from Macron either. I'd guess that they'd be getting them at a wholesale price at most, or even less in exchange for advertising/exposure as per the sponsorship agreement with Macron.

Plus the potential missed opportunity of merch sales by going generic needs to be factored in. I'm sure that black shirts will sell well, but if I want something that screams Cavalry, I probably won't opt for "CanPL generic away black". As teams form their identities, league mandated black would seems like it would cost more in long-term branding opportunities missed than any pennies saved in the short-term.

I'm not overly fussed. As I mentioned earlier, the beauty of soccer is that the kits change frequently enough that nothing is ever around for long, for better or worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 02:24 PM   #3320
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big "kick" Dominick is back for 2020.

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/article/d...ator-returning

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge