Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Pick the best player from the following list
TJ Brodie 136 55.28%
Dion Phaneuf 110 44.72%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2020, 08:12 AM   #41
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
So do we take Brodie’s legit first and second wins, and call it, or do subsequent runoffs against Macoun and Lousy until voter fatigue sets in and someone else places
Strangebrew and I go back in time and advocate for a 3 person run off to split enough votes so Dion makes it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #42
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a tossup between the two. However, I'd take a guy who can hit and have a great point shot any day.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #43
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
If you had a choice between an 18 year old
Hamilton
Bouwmeester
Phaneuf
Brodie
Housley
And told me Dion was your pick, I'd question your sanity.
Housley
Hamilton
Phaneuf
Bouwmeester
Brodie

I don't see how Brodie should make this team, in any consideration. He's been a solid flame, but never a peak performer.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #44
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Strangebrew and I go back in time and advocate for a 3 person run off to split enough votes so Dion makes it.
What I have learned is the anti Phaneuf sentiment runs strong. He can probably only get so many votes, even if he was running off against Kylington.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 11:08 AM   #45
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
What I have learned is the anti Phaneuf sentiment runs strong. He can probably only get so many votes, even if he was running off against Kylington.
Now I know how the Kent Nilsson fans felt.

This is bbq chicken pizza all over again.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #46
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Brodie is a good player. Phaneuf, in his time with the Flames, was a better player. Easy choice.
Agreed. Throughout the exercise I haven't understood the commentary regarding tenure. The question of the poll is best player meaning each player should be judged on what they accomplished per-game or per-season with the Flames.

For a "best" player, being great in a short period of time with the team should beat being good for a long period of time with the team.

Another fun exercise would be "best Flames career" which would incorporate total contribution regardless of duration with the team.

For best player, I voted Phaneuf. For best career, I would vote Brodie. None of Brodie's seasons, as far as I'm concerned, can touch Phaneuf's 2007-08 but obviously many disagree.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:07 PM   #47
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Agreed. Throughout the exercise I haven't understood the commentary regarding tenure. The question of the poll is best player meaning each player should be judged on what they accomplished per-game or per-season with the Flames.

For a "best" player, being great in a short period of time with the team should beat being good for a long period of time with the team.

Another fun exercise would be "best Flames career" which would incorporate total contribution regardless of duration with the team.

For best player, I voted Phaneuf. For best career, I would vote Brodie. None of Brodie's seasons, as far as I'm concerned, can touch Phaneuf's 2007-08 but obviously many disagree.
I viewed Phaneuf as having a good shot and being a big hitter. As far as actually playing defense and being a solid defenseman? I’ve never thought he was very good at that part of the game. Arguably the most important part. I’d rather Brodie.
As for your criteria I’d argue Cammy should be above both Tanguay and Tkachuk. 08/09 Cammy was probably better then any season they had.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:32 PM   #48
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

I could just never seem to get on board with Phaneuf. I always thought he was kind of a DB and while I cheered for him, of course, being a Flames fan, he just wasn't a player I really liked.

Looking back at his stats I may be exaggerating it out of my own bias because I didn't like him, but I always remember his shot being hard and useless; wildly inaccurate.

I was glad when he was traded but was somewhat disappointed with the return. I thought his hype throughout the league might have garnered better, but of course Stajan turned out to be a beauty and Dion carried on being an over-rated, over-hyped DB, at least for a while (in my mind). Then he turned into what he is.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:39 PM   #49
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know I just feel Housley needs to be here.

And I feel like McCoun and Jaybo should be ahead of Phaneuf and Brodie.

I think recency bias is affecting this vote more than the forwards.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #50
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Yeah,,,,if you step back and say to yourself...is TJ Brodie one of the top 7 defensemen to EVER play for the Flames the last 40 years?

There is just no way I can agree with that, but then it depends what one values in determining it. He has tenure and a good season and a half of offense and a really nice run as the defacto #1 when Gio got injured. That simply isnt top 7 resume stuff for myself though.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #51
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah,,,,if you step back and say to yourself...is TJ Brodie one of the top 7 defensemen to EVER play for the Flames the last 40 years?

There is just no way I can agree with that, but then it depends what one values in determining it. He has tenure and a good season and a half of offense and a really nice run as the defacto #1 when Gio got injured. That simply isnt top 7 resume stuff for myself though.
Agreed. Now replace Brodie with Phanuef and your statement is still completely accurate.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #52
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
Agreed. Now replace Brodie with Phanuef and your statement is still completely accurate.
No argument here.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:19 PM   #53
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Housley
Hamilton
Phaneuf
Bouwmeester
Brodie

I don't see how Brodie should make this team, in any consideration. He's been a solid flame, but never a peak performer.
I think Brodie is the best Flames defenseman on that list. Gio & Brodie have been a top pairing for years with Gio consistently performing at a Norris level.

Replace Brodie with Hamilton, and Gio is no longer Norris calibre and the Flames don't have a dominant top pairing.

Brodie and Engelland were the top pair on the team after Gio got injured. I don't think any other player on that list could have done that with Engelland... on his off side too!

He's half of the best D pairing the Flames have ever had. And he's not a passenger, he makes Gio better. Good players make players around them better.

Bouwmeester has had a better career, and was a better player than Brodie at his peak. But not as a Flame. To Bouwmeester's credit, he made Butler look like an NHL defenseman.

Housley and Phaneuf put up better numbers with the Flames, but i don't think they were particularly good at the defensive part of the game. And Phaneuf definitely didn't make his teammates better.

I wasn't sad when Phaneuf, Housley, Bouwmeester or Hamilton left town and I don't think the Flames got worse without them. At least two of those players were addition by subtraction.

But I'll be sad when Brodie leaves. If Andersson wasn't such a beauty, Brodie's departure would leave a huge hole on the back end

All IMO.
Plett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Plett25 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 10:02 PM   #54
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I cannot vote for either option here while a Hall of Famer gets the shaft.

Saying TJ Brodie is better than the 4th all-time NHL D scoring leader is preposterous.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/reco...s-leaders.html
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 11:47 PM   #55
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I cannot vote for either option here while a Hall of Famer gets the shaft.

Saying TJ Brodie is better than the 4th all-time NHL D scoring leader is preposterous.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/reco...s-leaders.html
I agree. He is still 3rd in career points out of American hockey players (behind only Hull and Modano). Housley seems to be underrated, probably because he played on the Flames when the franchise was struggling.

Macoun gets overlooked a little I think because the Flames defense was so deep at the time. Same with Reinhart.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:49 PM   #56
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is the way I'd rank 'em.

Al MacInnis - Brad McCrimmon
Mark Giordano - Gary Suter
Paul Reinhart - Phil Housley
Robyn Regehr (Rob Ramage)
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:59 AM   #57
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Ill admit when voting for the 7th D, I somehow missed Phil Housley.

But here I vote Brodie over Phaneuf. Brodie is underrated by Flames fans and does so much more than hes given credit for.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:11 AM   #58
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I remember Phaneuf's one-timer..."Passes to Phaneuf, one-timer, misses the net, passes to Phaneuf, one-timer, misses the net, passes to Phaneuf, one-timer, misses the net, passes to..." Over and over again

I was excited for Phaneuf, but he only had one year as a Flame where he didn't drive me crazy.

I think Brodie has been a far better player as a Flame.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:11 AM   #59
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I agree. He is still 3rd in career points out of American hockey players (behind only Hull and Modano). Housley seems to be underrated, probably because he played on the Flames when the franchise was struggling.

Macoun gets overlooked a little I think because the Flames defense was so deep at the time. Same with Reinhart.

It also doesn't help that his best seasons were in Buffalo and Winnipeg.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:45 AM   #60
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

In hindsight i should have voted Housley as well but I wasn’t a huge hockey fan back when he was on the team.

Phaneuf has a decent run with the single Norris Nomination and thunderous hits. Brodie has been a top pair or at least top 4 role for 8 years and was this teams best Dman when they won their only playoff series outside of 2004.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote