Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-14-2022, 01:21 PM   #901
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
passwords

our company switched to a 30 character minimum password, 30! No Upper case or special characters or numbers or anything, just 30.

and if I'm remoting in on VPN, I have to enter it 3 times. 30 characters!
I’d quit over anything above 10.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 03:23 PM   #902
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Waaah I have to type a bunch of letters to keep the corporate network secure. Waaah.

Actually that does sound like a pain in the ass, but knowing how poor most passwords that people create are I can see why they did it. Be mad at the users, not IT.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 03:40 PM   #903
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whydoesitsuckandmakemypassword30characters. Is a good password.

I much prefer long passphrase style passwords which don’t need special characters or numbers then 10 digit with a non-first letter Capital, a non ending number and a non-ending symbol where symbols can’t be used to replace their common letter.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 04:13 PM   #904
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or, y'know, just switch everyone over to app-based multi-factor authentication, maybe even a passwordless implementation.

Note, app-based. None of that SMS or call-based garbage.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 05:21 PM   #905
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

An IT department that thinks 30 character passwords are secure is an IT department that either is incompetent or is being forced by upper management to do stupid things to make it look like security is "improving".

The main vectors for stealing passwords involve automated methods that use malware, phishing, compromised websites, proxies, or other ways to record them. A script that saves your password doesn't care if it is 8 characters or 800 long, those are equally just blocks of data. The only attacks it helps prevent are brute-force ones and stupid users; the first is better solved by other means, and the second is insoluble.
Old 07-14-2022, 05:44 PM   #906
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
An IT department that thinks 30 character passwords are secure is an IT department that either is incompetent or is being forced by upper management to do stupid things to make it look like security is "improving".
In our case, it's demands from clients - "you must meet these specific security standards as a pre-requisite to us working with you", etc. Everyone in IT knows the requirements are dumb, but they have no real choice.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 05:51 PM   #907
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
passwords

our company switched to a 30 character minimum password, 30! No Upper case or special characters or numbers or anything, just 30.

and if I'm remoting in on VPN, I have to enter it 3 times. 30 characters!
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:41 PM   #908
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? Now with 3x more gears...

A sound worse than gas-powered lawn maintenance equipment, bird chimes, or whistling has to be basketball dribbling on the driveway.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 08:50 PM   #909
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I always thought those convoy protestors were selfish #######s, but after seeing the latest one roll down deerfoot this evening they've upped their rep to evil mass murderer sympathizers. You had the usual gaggle of trucks and semis with a ridiculous amount of Canadian flags, but the lead truck upped that by flying a giant Canada flag upside down flanked by two Russian flags above it. He was followed by a couple of pickups also flying Russian flags so it wasn't a rogue idiot. My mild annoyance towards them has now changed to deep hatred, and I hope their unvaccinated Russian loving asses get hit with Covid and they die coughing and screaming
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2022, 12:17 AM   #910
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

The hell are they doing running a convoy on a thursday night? Are they doing one nightly because of stampede or something?
Old 07-15-2022, 06:14 AM   #911
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackarcher101 View Post
the hell are they doing running a convoy?
fyp.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2022, 07:01 AM   #912
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
A sound worse than gas-powered lawn maintenance equipment, bird chimes, or whistling has to be basketball dribbling on the driveway.
no way. I love the basketball sound. Brings back memories of playing the game when younger.

It's a happy sound.

What's way worse is having to hear humans. It harshes my mellow when I'm trying to relax at home in the evening with windows open, and I have to hear the chatter and laughter of people.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:39 AM   #913
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
When my neighbor's kid was younger they had a skateboard ramp set up in the backyard. That takes the cake. You can't escape the noise in any part of your house.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:40 AM   #914
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I always thought those convoy protestors were selfish #######s, but after seeing the latest one roll down deerfoot this evening they've upped their rep to evil mass murderer sympathizers. You had the usual gaggle of trucks and semis with a ridiculous amount of Canadian flags, but the lead truck upped that by flying a giant Canada flag upside down flanked by two Russian flags above it. He was followed by a couple of pickups also flying Russian flags so it wasn't a rogue idiot. My mild annoyance towards them has now changed to deep hatred, and I hope their unvaccinated Russian loving asses get hit with Covid and they die coughing and screaming
The far right loving Russia further cements my belief they've been bamboozled by FSB/GRU psyops.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:41 AM   #915
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
no way. I love the basketball sound. Brings back memories of playing the game when younger.

It's a happy sound.

What's way worse is having to hear humans. It harshes my mellow when I'm trying to relax at home in the evening with windows open, and I have to hear the chatter and laughter of people.
Amen. The noise of adults blabbing away is a good way to ruin peace.

Now, having A-type partner who functions at 5:30AM and needs a god damned game plan for everything, is also a good way to ruin the peace. I love her, but #### me sometimes I feel like a fool for getting attached.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:23 AM   #916
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There are 5 basketball hoops in the street on my block, doesn't even phase me anymore. The gas powered leaf blower at the end of the street - it's been 10 years of the same jackass lawn care company, I'm pretty much over it. Neighbors a half block over have a live band for their stampede party - hey, sounds like fun and they wrapped it up at a decent time.

But I swear to god one day I am going to go Bruce Cockburn on that damn Global traffic helicopter hovering over my neighborhood.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:27 AM   #917
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
The far right loving Russia further cements my belief they've been bamboozled by FSB/GRU psyops.
It’s so painfully obvious. Easily the dumbest collective of people in North America.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:29 AM   #918
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Amen. The noise of adults blabbing away is a good way to ruin peace.

Now, having A-type partner who functions at 5:30AM and needs a god damned game plan for everything, is also a good way to ruin the peace. I love her, but #### me sometimes I feel like a fool for getting attached.
For whatever reason your wife/gf posts have stuck in my head, and your wife/gf sounds like a ####ing boss.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2022, 09:39 AM   #919
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah, I love when he posts about her, but I do wonder what she'd think if she read them sometimes. Hopefully laugh and roll her eyes. I mean, if we know this guy, certainly she does, too haha.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:52 AM   #920
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
In our case, it's demands from clients - "you must meet these specific security standards as a pre-requisite to us working with you", etc. Everyone in IT knows the requirements are dumb, but they have no real choice.
Exactly this, our San Diego branch has security requirements dictated by the California DMV so we can access their system. Lucky they don't require any obscure requirements like 30 character passwords.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote