Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2022, 06:52 PM   #721
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Yes. In both cases there was a gratuity automatically added to the bill... When the server presented the terminal after entering the total bill - which included the auto gratuity - I (due to my own carelessness) added a further (20%) tip.

I understand the concept of the auto grat, but the problem I have here is two-fold:

1) I have a large family and we tend to dine out often. I can't recall ever being charged an auto grat for our party of 6 - and I've been to both of these restaurants plenty of times before. Party of 8? Sure. Group of 10? Definitely. But for a table of 6, this is definitely new to me. Reminds me of shrinkflation.

2) Ignoring the possibility of being caught off guard by moving goal posts when it comes to party size, neither server made any effort at all to state the policy up front (as I've experienced in the past with larger groups) or at the time to pay the bill - No, "Here's your bill. We include a gratuity for tables of this size"...

Just seems greasy.
If you are regular there, I'd be calling the manager. Maybe they are not really aware it is an issue. Losing customers to that would be bad.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:18 PM   #722
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Yes. In both cases there was a gratuity automatically added to the bill... When the server presented the terminal after entering the total bill - which included the auto gratuity - I (due to my own carelessness) added a further (20%) tip.

I understand the concept of the auto grat, but the problem I have here is two-fold:

1) I have a large family and we tend to dine out often. I can't recall ever being charged an auto grat for our party of 6 - and I've been to both of these restaurants plenty of times before. Party of 8? Sure. Group of 10? Definitely. But for a table of 6, this is definitely new to me. Reminds me of shrinkflation.

2) Ignoring the possibility of being caught off guard by moving goal posts when it comes to party size, neither server made any effort at all to state the policy up front (as I've experienced in the past with larger groups) or at the time to pay the bill - No, "Here's your bill. We include a gratuity for tables of this size"...

Just seems greasy.
That's just wrong. That is not a large group in any way, shape, or form. And even less so when it's immediate family.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:42 PM   #723
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

On the topic of foodies from the 960 thread, my personal/biased/"Sliver" take is that I don't get the obsession with food that some people have (I've discovered over time by bringing up the topic that I know a few people that can talk endlessly about food....endlessly....).

I mean I get remarking on something that's delicious when it is. You want to acknowledge when a dish is well done/prepared. But I don't linger, dwell on and analyze it, deconstruct it in my mind later and have dreams about it. It's just food. It goes in the mouth hole, you absorb the nutrients, and you expel it in the crapper. The pleasure part of eating tasty food is just a fleeting sensation.

Now I get that its also a passion for some. And I can respect the concept of something exciting you and wanting to gush about said thing. I do the same. But in a RL discussion, food just isn't a very interesting topic to me, beyond 2-3 minutes of exchanging a recommendation. It can only go so many places and there isn't much controversy or greater meaning to it unless you're two hard-core foodies with differing opinions in a clash.

Like there are only so many times/ways you can tell me that something is delicious and make yummy faces and rub your tummy before I get bored with what you're saying and begin to drift off into the nethers of literally anything else. Great, it's tasty, I believe you. What else? Whats going on in your life?

My friend and his family can (and have) go an entire dinner gathering talking ONLY about FOOD. it's just bananas to me. I left the first time aghast that we didn't touch on a single other topic.

And I actually hate talking about food whilst eating a big meal too. If it's something that clashes with what I'm eating, it can make me feel ill. Or it just serves to make you more hungry for more and then you over-eat.

A small gear grinder but one, nevertheless.

Last edited by djsFlames; 07-06-2022 at 05:47 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 06:58 PM   #724
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish there was one designated day for everyone to mow their lawns. It’s impossible to have a day where the drone of lawnmowers and weed whackers aren’t ever present on the background.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:05 PM   #725
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I wish there was one designated day for everyone to mow their lawns. It’s impossible to have a day where the drone of lawnmowers and weed whackers aren’t ever present on the background.
Yeah, so frustrating...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:22 PM   #726
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure there is. Every day between November and March.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:35 PM   #727
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just ban non-electric mowers and trimmers. No need for two stroke oil filled engine pollution
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:39 PM   #728
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Success. Final time: 1:47:21... It's sad that I've seen worse.
Why are you pursuing the lowest fare and the worst service.

This is part of shaving every dollar out of the airline cost. It’s great when things work out but when they don’t those cuts that allow ridiculously low fares hurt.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:14 PM   #729
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Sure there is. Every day between November and March.

Then there’s the scraping of shovels on sidewalks. There’s no winning.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:19 PM   #730
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Why are you pursuing the lowest fare and the worst service.

This is part of shaving every dollar out of the airline cost. It’s great when things work out but when they don’t those cuts that allow ridiculously low fares hurt.
Because I fly out to the coast 10+ times a year and those cost savings add up. I kind of just expect certain issues. For example, that flight was scheduled to leave at 11 pm, got delayed until 230 am, I called, waited for and hour and 45 minutes, got them to switch me to the 8 o'clock flight, which was then delayed to 9:15. Their online check in was broken so I got to the airport a bit early. The flight ended up being delayed again and left around 10:45.

So I ended up landing right around when I originally thought, it just took a roller coaster to get there. That's how it goes. To be honest the way Air Canada is going right now I doubt it would have gone much better had I flown with them.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 07-06-2022 at 08:22 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:22 PM   #731
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because I fly out to the coast 10+ times a year and those cost savings add up. I kind of just expect certain issues. For example, that flight was scheduled to leave at 11 pm, got delayed until 230 am, I called, waited for and hour and 45 minutes, got them to switch me to the 8 o'clock flight, which was then delayed to 9:15. Their online check in was broken so I got to the airport a bit early. The flight ended up being delayed again and left around 10:45.

So I ended up landing right around when I originally thought, it just took a roller coaster to get there. That's how it goes. To be honest the way Air Canada is going right now I doubt it would have gone much better had I flown with them.
So you grind your own gears then. You received the expected level of service for the fee you wanted to pay.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 09:26 PM   #732
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's basically true in every way except for the waiting on hold for over an hour. I don't think any company should ever do that. And again that's something that's not limited to a budget airline. The entire strategy of "make it as difficult and painful as possible to get customer support so the customer gives up" is pretty widespread and is a totally reasonable gear grinder every single time it arises.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 09:44 PM   #733
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's basically true in every way except for the waiting on hold for over an hour. I don't think any company should ever do that. And again that's something that's not limited to a budget airline. The entire strategy of "make it as difficult and painful as possible to get customer support so the customer gives up" is pretty widespread and is a totally reasonable gear grinder every single time it arises.
I’d say if you are intentionally paying for a discount service a lack of customer service is one of the few ways to cut costs.

You can have older planes, limited schedules, but staffing whether it be flight attendants, check in people or customer service is a huge chunk of the non-fixed costs.

It’s the same with budget cell phones and no fee banks. Great until you need help.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:52 PM   #734
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’d say if you are intentionally paying for a discount service a lack of customer service is one of the few ways to cut costs.

You can have older planes, limited schedules, but staffing whether it be flight attendants, check in people or customer service is a huge chunk of the non-fixed costs.

It’s the same with budget cell phones and no fee banks. Great until you need help.
While I do agree with you, you cannot currently (or at least recently) reach Air Canada help desk. You get a pre recorded message saying that due to shortage of staff there is no one to take your call. Please visit AC online blah blah blah
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:29 PM   #735
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Just ban non-electric mowers and trimmers. No need for two stroke oil filled engine pollution
F that. It takes me like an hour of pure cutting time to tend to the yard and boulevard around my house. My mower and trimmer work fine and should run for another 50 years given their use. No way in hell am I tossing that for $1000 worth of battery packs for something I do once a week tops.

Ban the ####ers out there mowing down their 1” grass to 15/16” every other day. Get a life fools, let the grass grow a bit.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:30 AM   #736
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
F that. It takes me like an hour of pure cutting time to tend to the yard and boulevard around my house. My mower and trimmer work fine and should run for another 50 years given their use. No way in hell am I tossing that for $1000 worth of battery packs for something I do once a week tops.

Ban the ####ers out there mowing down their 1” grass to 15/16” every other day. Get a life fools, let the grass grow a bit.
Really we should ban lawns as they are a poor fit with our climate. Maybe you just grandfather out gas powered motors or put decibel and pollution restrictions on them so that the externalities of owning them are priced in.

If you had to pay for your Nox and CO emissions that drive air pollution perhaps it wouldn’t be economic for you to continue to use it.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:43 AM   #737
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Start by banning 2-stroke engines, they are the worst. 4 stroke are up to 10x fewer HC emissions, and quieter.

https://www.edmunds.com/about/press/...delinecom.html

You could eventually ban the sale of 4 stroke as well, but they aren't all that bad, considering how short of a time they run for in a month.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:48 AM   #738
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Freaking Boomers.

Go to Apply Apple Podcasts. Go to Library. Click on podcast of choice. Click the three dots in upper right corner. Click on settings. Then click on Episode Order Oldest to Newest.

You're welcome.
Haha, I’m also not a boomer (and not really close), it’s just a terrible app.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:05 AM   #739
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Start by banning 2-stroke engines, they are the worst. 4 stroke are up to 10x fewer HC emissions, and quieter.

https://www.edmunds.com/about/press/...delinecom.html

You could eventually ban the sale of 4 stroke as well, but they aren't all that bad, considering how short of a time they run for in a month.
4 stokes are still terrible for Nox. Your link shows the 4 stokes are 3 times the Nox emissions of a two stroke. Still terrible on a cumulative basis. I’m terms of persona Hydro carbon emissions an hour a week of mowing is essentially more Nox being emitted then driving or a week. It terms of Nox it’s 3-1. So the amount the now your lawn is just as bad as all the driving you do on the week end

Last edited by GGG; 07-07-2022 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:54 AM   #740
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
4 stokes are still terrible for Nox. Your link shows the 4 stokes are 3 times the Nox emissions of a two stroke. Still terrible on a cumulative basis. I’m terms of persona Hydro carbon emissions an hour a week of mowing is essentially more Nox being emitted then driving or a week. It terms of Nox it’s 3-1. So the amount the now your lawn is just as bad as all the driving you do on the week end
If you drive a diesel, it's far worse. Nox emissions are about 0.125g/km for a modern pickup. That's 12.5 per 100km of driving vs 1.86 per hour for the mower. So ban diesel pickups if you are that concerned about Nox. And if you are actually concerned, ban mods and fine them heavily, because they emit far more. Even "clean diesels' emit far more Nox than a mower.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...a-big-business