Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2022, 08:14 PM   #1521
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Ah man, she's gonna cheat on Walt with this Ted Beneke guy isn't she...?
I'm about halfway through season 3 of Breaking Bad now, and gaaaad I can't stand Skyler. Petulant twit!

Credit to Anna Gunn as an actress, and the work of the writers.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:07 PM   #1522
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last edited by mile; 08-08-2022 at 12:12 PM.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:14 PM   #1523
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

This new guy is Miracle Whip.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 08:23 PM   #1524
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I'm going to get the ending I wanted.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:35 PM   #1525
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoilering because I finished the episode a little early

Spoiler!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 09:11 PM   #1526
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

*shrugs* this all feels like slow building plot you'd have at the start of a series or season. There's only 1 episode left.

At this point, I'd rather it have ended with the transition to Saul after him and Kim broke up. I could pretend to love the artsy fartsy-ness of it all, but I can't be bothered. The last 3 episodes are a huge letdown.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:18 PM   #1527
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yeah much better from Aaron Paul this week. Kudos to folks calling Marion outing Saul (maybe obvious to most but I wouldn’t have guessed it myself had I not been reading Reddit discussion).
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:48 PM   #1528
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Count me as one that has loved how they've rolled out and built to the finale. I can't wait until next Monday.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 09:56 PM   #1529
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The One Where Rhea Won An Emmy.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 10:03 PM   #1530
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Count me as one that has loved how they've rolled out and built to the finale. I can't wait until next Monday.
yeah I concede im in the minority
Old 08-08-2022, 10:19 PM   #1531
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was fantastic. All of Kim's scenes were great. The Gene scenes had me on the edge of my seat.

I'm really glad that Gene didn't kill anyone.

The question is whether he dies or goes to jail. If he goes to jail, does he reunite with Kim?

Big lol at Ask Jeeves being a part of Gene's downfall

Last edited by mile; 08-08-2022 at 10:22 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 11:08 PM   #1532
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 11:45 PM   #1533
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I'm happy for Kim's new boring, guilt-free life.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:47 AM   #1534
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I know the Gene episodes haven't been super well received but they have grown on me more each week. I do still concede whiteouts point that now is not exactly the opportune time for a slow building plot reset.

I guess the disconnect when thinking of it this way is that they just spent the last 2 or 3 seasons building this incredible web of plot lines with Nacho, Lalo, Mike, Gus, Howard etc and then it all came crashing down with 4 episodes left. They had built up so much tension wondering how it would all sort out, and then released it all and left us with these 4 random episodes.

However, the other side of my brain does remind me that at the root, this is Jimmy's journey. Thinking back to season 1, there was no Lalo, Gus wasn't around, Mike was there but not yet involved in the game, etc. So this is a story about the evolution of Jimmy to Saul to Gene. And these 4 episodes, while slow in pace, are trying to define exactly which of the 3 still exists.

This episode gave us so much to digest about Kim, a character so many of us have come to love through this journey. In terms of closure for fans, I'm not sure it was particularly satisfying. The 'yup' guy at the beginning was insanely depressing. But I see how for her character it does make sense. She has totally lost faith in herself to make decisions. And she seems to be content in the shallow lifestyle she has created. Maybe even seeing it as a deserved punishment for all her wrongs.

With Gene, we continue to see him all over the map. At the end of the Nippy episode I thought him leaving the shirt and tie was a sign he could keep it under control. But rejection from Kim, and some resentment towards a due with cancer really pushed him over the line. The bad decisions of going back to the house and then lingering much longer than necessary didn't feel like things Jimmy or Saul would do. He lost control and is making bad decisions. He just about went full Walter White and strangled poor old Carol Burnett. Did her 'I trusted you' comment get him to snap out of it? Is it too late regardless?

I've still had lots of excitement for these last episodes because to me, there is very much a feeling of not knowing what is coming. There were certainly lots of theories about a Jimmy/Kim happy ending in Nebraska, but with that looking just about impossible, there is a lot of uncertainty. I do worry these last 4 episodes will fall flat with a lot of the fan base. That people will lump it in with great shows that just couldn't stick the landing.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 08:13 AM   #1535
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep

Yep

Yep
Old 08-09-2022, 08:59 AM   #1536
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently that scene was a reference to the Mesa Verde commercial, that even makes it more depressing for Kim
Old 08-09-2022, 09:39 AM   #1537
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post

I've still had lots of excitement for these last episodes because to me, there is very much a feeling of not knowing what is coming. There were certainly lots of theories about a Jimmy/Kim happy ending in Nebraska, but with that looking just about impossible, there is a lot of uncertainty. I do worry these last 4 episodes will fall flat with a lot of the fan base. That people will lump it in with great shows that just couldn't stick the landing.
Creator and showrunner Peter Gould liked this tweet:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1551447230024134660

I've personally enjoyed these last run of episodes. I know they've been polarizing to some, but I hope as time passes more people will come to appreciate it.

Just rewatched the final scene of yesterday's episode, it was even better than I remembered. That was beautifully shot and acted. The sadness in Gene's face when he sees his old commercial in color was heartbreaking and a nice callback to the opening scene of the first episode.

Seeing him go from cornering Marion with the phone cord and looking legitimately terrifying to realizing how far he's fallen after she told him "I trusted you", it reminded me a little of how Walt looked before and after the knife fight with Skyler and Walt Jr in Ozymandias. I didn't think Gene would find any personal redemption before that scene but I think he has a chance now if he turns himself in and clears Howard's name. Maybe him and Kim finally reunite, but in jail.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2022, 10:50 AM   #1538
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

I've enjoyed it as well. This entire season has been outstanding IMO. Loved that they focused on Kim's life post-Jimmy in last night's episode. Excellent performance by Rhea Seehorn.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:04 AM   #1539
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did like the last three episodes a lot, actually; what's not to like? I thought Kim's bursting in tears on the bus for wasting her whole life for nothing was incredibly believable and strong. I am just disappointed they keep it all to the finale to tell us what and how it all has happened. Perhaps, simply being really sorry it's coming to an end.

"Talking Saul" episode was quite entertaining last night as well. The stories about Vince Gilligan meeting Carol Burnett through a limo driver serving as an intermediary, Bob Odenkirk forgetting if he had a stroke or a heart attack at Cinnabon (it was a panic attack), Lalo becoming a character and a plot story out of literally nothing (a mere name mentioned by Saul over the phone in BB)... I plan to re-watch BB in a month or so.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:39 PM   #1540
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So does Saul go on the Lam or surrender to the po po.

Tags
breaking bad , saul goodman