Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
He's still an RFA though, the team getting him would have him for another year at least.
Thats a good point.

Heres a question I have though because I'm not an expert on Arbitration, but if a team were to take Trouba on would he be eligible for Arbitration again in his last year of RFA?

I mean, if he has a stellar year and is traded at the deadline would the new team be basically held ransom if he goes back to Arbitration is awarded a huge deal? Even if its only for 1 year?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #22
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats a good point.

Heres a question I have though because I'm not an expert on Arbitration, but if a team were to take Trouba on would he be eligible for Arbitration again in his last year of RFA?

I mean, if he has a stellar year and is traded at the deadline would the new team be basically held ransom if he goes back to Arbitration is awarded a huge deal? Even if its only for 1 year?
Yes but can still walk away from it if it’s over the 4.2 mill or whatever it is now
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 07:26 PM   #23
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's a lot for what is essentially equivalent to a bridge deal.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #24
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Contract is for one RFA year, he has hit 30 points once, and has only played more than 65 games once.

Exactly why should he get $5.5M? That amount would be a lot even if the contract included a couple UFA years.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #25
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
The NHL arbitration process is completely broken and dumb.
I think the process is quite successful at its stated goal of avoiding cases going to arbitration. Years ago on the Fan 960 they had one of the player agents who was involved with the NHL when they developed the arbitration process. The goal of it was to provide unpleasant outcomes for both the team and the player of arbitration was to occur. The goal being to incentivize settling before the hearing.

In that sense with only a few cases reaching an arbitration award each year the system works. I do think the baseball process which encourages reasonable offers is better when it gets to the actual mechanics of deciding an award.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Contract is for one RFA year, he has hit 30 points once, and has only played more than 65 games once.

Exactly why should he get $5.5M? That amount would be a lot even if the contract included a couple UFA years.
Yeah I think this guy is overrated. He's a good defenseman but he doesn't have the offensive upside to become a top pairing guy IMO. Looks more like a Travis Hamonic type defensemen and Hamonic isn't making $5.5 million.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:24 PM   #27
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah I think this guy is overrated. He's a good defenseman but he doesn't have the offensive upside to become a top pairing guy IMO. Looks more like a Travis Hamonic type defensemen and Hamonic isn't making $5.5 million.
Agree in principle but the cap was much lower when Hamonic signed his deal. Probably pretty comparable given where the cap is now.
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:10 PM   #28
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keeping Trouba could be like a deadline deal for the Jets. They have a promising roster for this season and might wanna go all in for the Stanley Cup.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:51 AM   #29
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry if this has been clarified but does the party that gets to choose the term 1 or 2 years get to decide after the arbitration judgement? I was under the impression that the term had to be decided prior to the hearing.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:08 AM   #30
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Except for a bit of edge his game is nothing like Hamonic's, if you could combine Hamonic's heart with Trouba's skating and passing you might have another Doughty.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:11 AM   #31
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
Sorry if this has been clarified but does the party that gets to choose the term 1 or 2 years get to decide after the arbitration judgement? I was under the impression that the term had to be decided prior to the hearing.
It's part of the written brief that has to be submitted at least 48 hours before the scheduled start of the hearing. If it's not specified in the brief, the default is one year.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:34 AM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Except for a bit of edge his game is nothing like Hamonic's, if you could combine Hamonic's heart with Trouba's skating and passing you might have another Doughty.
Where would the goals and points come from? Doughty has elite hockey I.Q. and offensive skills. You are selling him short saying Trouba (combined with Hamonic or not) is comparable.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-23-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:26 AM   #33
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might be in the minority but a hanifin trouba pairing would be pretty sexy. Could we add something to hamonic to make it worthwhile for the jets?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:35 AM   #34
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I might be in the minority but a hanifin trouba pairing would be pretty sexy. Could we add something to hamonic to make it worthwhile for the jets?
Why would Trouba want to go from one cold Prairie Canadian city to another? He wants to return to the states. If he doesn't want to stay in Winnipeg he's unlikely to believe Calgary is the New York of the prairies.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:42 AM   #35
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why would Trouba want to go from one cold Prairie Canadian city to another? He wants to return to the states. If he doesn't want to stay in Winnipeg he's unlikely to believe Calgary is the New York of the prairies.
Well theres a cosmic difference between living in Calgary vs Winnipeg so perhaps he could fall in love with the happy medium.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #36
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Well theres a cosmic difference between living in Calgary vs Winnipeg so perhaps he could fall in love with the happy medium.
Sure there is.

He's either going to commit to Winnipeg or be dealt to an American team. Full stop.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:54 AM   #37
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure there is.

He's either going to commit to Winnipeg or be dealt to an American team. Full stop.
Wouldn’t shock me if he ended up in Toronto
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #38
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to imagine he will be traded to a US team by this time next season.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #39
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Wouldn’t shock me if he ended up in Toronto
Toronto might work simply due to proximity of his hometown. It's also Toronto, which is a very different place than a Western Canadian city. But all signs point to him wanting to return to the States for some time town. Detroit would be the obvious top of mind destiation.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #40
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Toronto might work simply due to proximity of his hometown. It's also Toronto, which is a very different place than a Western Canadian city. But all signs point to him wanting to return to the States for some time town. Detroit would be the obvious top of mind destiation.

It’s hilarious how you attempt to draw equivalency between Winnipeg and Calgary by using the umbrella term “Western Canadian cities” as if they are all the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: