Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon56 Arbitrator awards Trouba one year $5.5 mil deal

Ken Wiebe @WiebeSunSports
#NHLJets D Jacob Trouba was awarded a one-year, $5.5 million contract by an arbitrator

Ken Wiebe
@WiebeSunSports
Since the player elected arbitration and the award is higher than $4.22 million, the #NHLJets have up to 48 hours to accept the award - which seems like a formality at this point.

Team was looking for $4 mil, Player wanted $7 mil
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
kbvall
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Seems to be a hard job to be an arbitrator

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
kbvall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kbvall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbvall View Post

Yeah, Really can't stand the NHL arbitration process, team always goes in super low and player goes in super high knowing the arbitrator will pick in the middle. It really should be a pick one or the other, In baseball the arbitrator chooses one number or the other based on which offer is closest to the salaries of players with similar ability and service time.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

This happens so rarely I still struggle with the rules.

My understanding.
1. After an award the team has the option of making this a one or two year contract.

2. As the tweet says, since the contract is above approx $4M the team has the opportunity to walk away. Does this mean for all of the flames free agents that the team must accept all arbitrator awards?

3. If the award is below approx $1M the cap hit can be burried in the AHL at the teams expense but no impact on cap hit.

4. In accordance with item 2 if my understanding is correct, all contracts awarded from approx $1-4M will count against the cap unless the team buys the player out on the spot (then half will count) or can somehow trade them.

I would love some help from the CP braintrust. Between all of the different shows on the Fan 960 on Thursday and Friday they were absolutely horrible in terms of consistency with these rules.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NHL arbitration process is completely broken and dumb.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #6
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish the arbitrator was around for me each time my salary is reviewed.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #7
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
This happens so rarely I still struggle with the rules.

My understanding.
1. After an award the team has the option of making this a one or two year contract.

2. As the tweet says, since the contract is above approx $4M the team has the opportunity to walk away. Does this mean for all of the flames free agents that the team must accept all arbitrator awards?

3. If the award is below approx $1M the cap hit can be burried in the AHL at the teams expense but no impact on cap hit.

4. In accordance with item 2 if my understanding is correct, all contracts awarded from approx $1-4M will count against the cap unless the team buys the player out on the spot (then half will count) or can somehow trade them.

I would love some help from the CP braintrust. Between all of the different shows on the Fan 960 on Thursday and Friday they were absolutely horrible in terms of consistency with these rules.

1. If the player files for salary arbitration, it is the team that gets to choose a 1 or 2 year award from the arbitrator. There is an exception to this that if the player is 1 year from UFA, the award will automatically be 1 year.

If the team files for salary arbitration, the player gets to choose 1 or 2 year.

2. The walkaway for this year is $4.22 million. Any player elected salary arbitration award below that cost must be accepted by the team. This is why you see less teams qualify marginal RFAs. The $4.22 million number is tied to the salary cap and will increase/decrease as the salary cap does.

Since all the Flames players still going to arbitration will likely be below the walkaway number, the Flames will have to accept whatever the arbitrator awards them. This is why you will see them do whatever they can to lower the arbitration award.

3. Any player that is sent to the minors will have their cap hit reduced by $375k + minimum NHL salary. This year NHL minimum salary is $650k, which means anyone with a cap hit of $1.025 mil or less will not count against the salary cap.

4. The buyout cap hit is not simply 1/2 the cost. There is still a cap hit for buying out a player. Capfriendly has a good FAQ about buyouts: https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-faq.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbvall View Post

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Yes, it is.

(a+b) /2= arbitration award
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #9
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seems like an overpay for Trouba... 1 mill too high?
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Yes, it is.

(a+b) /2= arbitration award
I think I'm worth $10 billion. You think I'm work $1. Calculate.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #11
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Seems like an overpay for Trouba... 1 mill too high?
For multi year that would seem about right, to my mind. He's going to want more than that next year though, as comparables go up again.

5.5, eating up a couple of UFA years is what I would pay him.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #12
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
Thanks for your contribution.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #13
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Jets would be wise to move Trouba for the highest return before the season. This break up has been years in the making
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think the Jets would be wise to move Trouba for the highest return before the season. This break up has been years in the making
We've been saying that for years though. And yet the Jets keep him around.
cannon7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
We've been saying that for years though. And yet the Jets keep him around.
Easier said than done. The guy is on a fairly low contract (assuming the Jets accept) but no term, so to move him hes a rental.

Could be a tough pill to swallow.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #16
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
1. If the player files for salary arbitration, it is the team that gets to choose a 1 or 2 year award from the arbitrator. There is an exception to this that if the player is 1 year from UFA, the award will automatically be 1 year.

If the team files for salary arbitration, the player gets to choose 1 or 2 year.

2. The walkaway for this year is $4.22 million. Any player elected salary arbitration award below that cost must be accepted by the team. This is why you see less teams qualify marginal RFAs. The $4.22 million number is tied to the salary cap and will increase/decrease as the salary cap does.

Since all the Flames players still going to arbitration will likely be below the walkaway number, the Flames will have to accept whatever the arbitrator awards them. This is why you will see them do whatever they can to lower the arbitration award.

3. Any player that is sent to the minors will have their cap hit reduced by $375k + minimum NHL salary. This year NHL minimum salary is $650k, which means anyone with a cap hit of $1.025 mil or less will not count against the salary cap.

4. The buyout cap hit is not simply 1/2 the cost. There is still a cap hit for buying out a player. Capfriendly has a good FAQ about buyouts: https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-faq.
You're the best!!
Old 07-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #17
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post

I noticed the same thing. The morning show had it correct, but Will Nault on the afternoon show suggested a team could walk away from any arbitrator award and when called out on the error by the text line, he claimed he was correct and cited Steinberg as his source. For a radio station that really only goes in depth for one sport, that stuff should be tight!
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #18
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Take the years, put him in a position to really succeed this season, sell high in a young D-man with a bright future and team control with another year locked in.

He's a great player that is bailing the second he gets a chance, cash in while you have control.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #19
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
Good news is we’ve signed your five billion dollar contract. The bad news is we’ve subsequently traded you to Edmonton.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 04:34 PM   #20
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Easier said than done. The guy is on a fairly low contract (assuming the Jets accept) but no term, so to move him hes a rental.

Could be a tough pill to swallow.
He's still an RFA though, the team getting him would have him for another year at least.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote