Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #41
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Edmonton Couldn't afford him. The Islanders would be my guess. They only have 6 D-men on their roster and they have $14,809,167 in cap space with 43 contracts.
I could see Colorado making sense. Lots of cap room and some pretty weak, cheap, inexperienced bottom pairing defensemen.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #42
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same thing with Schroeder two years ago. Wild waived him before arbitration, he cleared, he signed a half two-way contract (two years, first one was two-way, second year was one-way).

I think it is just a quick reality check for players fighting for one-way contracts. If no other team is willing to claim you, despite you coming in at pretty much league minimum, then why do you think you are one-way worthy as a bonafide NHL would be? Gets the point across and avoids arbitration.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 07-19-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #43
Cantrader
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Remember that LV did not even claim him on the expansion draft and took a guy that they can get anyways.
Cantrader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cantrader For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #44
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesNation23 View Post
Damn it i really liked kulak. Would have preferred it if we traded stone
Seriously? If we're just talking on-ice, Stone is significantly better than Kulak in many regards. Especially in a bottom pairing role. He's bigger, tougher, smarter, and has a way better shot. Kulak is a better skater for sure, but that's about it.

Now obviously there are other considerations but it's not even close on-ice.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #45
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I always wonder how other GMs find out about these things. Do they receive an email notification on their Outlook? Is it from a staff member or does the league have an automated system to relay all of the information.
Cortex!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyTitan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #46
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He did play in 71 games so it's possible he gets picked up I suppose but only being better than Matt Bartkowski isn't going to take you far in this league. This organization has younger defensemen with much more upside so this isn't really surprising.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #47
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTitan View Post
How about a team with bad defence and not much cap space? I would assume even a highly rewarded Kulak is sub $1,000,000.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
If he would take 1 million or be arbitrated at 1 million it would be done because that can be buried in the minors without a cap hit. The fear is a cap hit above the amount that can be buried.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #48
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame^thrower View Post
Kulak being a LD I would think, if it were to make room for a young D, that it would be for Valimaki more so than Andersson. Which would be weird without absolute certainty that he would be more ready
Valimaki was the most ready looking in preseason last year IMO. If he was a year older I think he would have made the team over Kulak and Andersson (handedness notwithstanding).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #49
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Not surprised. If he's claimed, it's really not a huge deal. Rather they lose him than Stone because at the end of the day, he barely beat out guys like Jyrki Jokipakka and Matt Bartkowski for his role, he really isn't that great.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #50
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Classic case of a 3rd pairing defenceman who’s headed to arbitration getting waived. This may be the move that Treliving rues the most. On the off chance someone actually does claim him you can’t just replace a bottom pairing guy. That’s why they’re called replacement level, the level is so hard to replace.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #51
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
It is a calculated risk on Treliving's part, must feel there is a low chance Kulak gets picked up.
I kind of feel like they're wagering that another team won't want to spend the weekend developing an arbitration case book. They're probably right even if I think (and I do) that Kulak would get claimed had they done this a week prior or a week hence.

Still not a risk I like.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #52
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Classic case of a 3rd pairing defenceman who’s headed to arbitration getting waived. This may be the move that Treliving rues the most. On the off chance someone actually does claim him you can’t just replace a bottom pairing guy. That’s why they’re called replacement level, the level is so hard to replace.
OK, this post made no sense.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #53
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is all about the cap space needed for Hanifin IMO.

I wonder what an arbitrator would award kulak? 1.5-2.0m+ and he's nothing but an inconvenience as they try to lock up hanifin.

It's a shame for kulak, Stone and Brouwer are the ones who should go.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #54
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kulak was like a Stone-lite. Physical, decent shot, didn't make too many glaringly stupid plays in his own end but still got pinned in the defensive zone a lot.

If we repace him with Valimaki that would mean we have at least one proper puck-mover/first pass guy on all three defensive pairings, not to mention greatly heightened offensive potential from the D (which was sorely needed last season).
Old 07-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #55
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
OK, this post made no sense.
Hopefully he meant they are replacement level because that means they are easily replaceable?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #56
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hope this isn't another Byron and Schlemko mistake
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #57
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't imagine any team in the NHL claiming him right now. Not only is he a 6th defencemen, but he also has an arbitration hearing. Remember Feaster preferring to use a pick to get Russell instead of claiming him off of waivers?

The only team that I think he could legitimately get claimed by would be Edmonton as their defensive corps kind of sucks, but adding another bottom pairing defencemen to a stable of bottom 4 defencemen isn't going to move the needle much, and Edmonton is hard up against the cap.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #58
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Cap management has shifted to the bottom half of the roster in recent seasons, and teams that keep their fourth lines and third pairings on the cheap have the flexibility and room to do more with their upper end roster.

I see this a good sign to be honest, ... they like Kulak or they wouldn't have qualified him but they want a deal done before the arb date and the agent is insisting he has more value than what they are offering.

If that difference of opinion can't be moved you're better off to show lower value and get a deal done then or just lose him and replace him with a different option.

Teams needs players making 750K at in their final 5 roster spots.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #59
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Hope this isn't another Byron and Schlemko mistake
If those are the biggest mistakes a GM makes (obviously Brouwer was worse) we are in pretty good hands.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #60
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Valimaki was the most ready looking in preseason last year IMO. If he was a year older I think he would have made the team over Kulak and Andersson (handedness notwithstanding).
I would love to see Valinaki make this team. Going to be an exciting year either way. Looking forward to seeing him play period.
Back on topic, it is too bad about Kulak as I thought he was pretty decent. Also he may still be back though too
flame^thrower is offline   Reply With Quote