Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #21
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I don't think it is overkill.

I think it is well worth the effort and price(which isn't that much more) to get a router where it simply runs and you never have issues with it.

Compared to home consumer models where you have to go restart it at random times for whatever reason.
So, roughly $900-1000, opposed to $359 just to save yourself from power cycling, maybe? I haven't touched mine in months, talk about first world problems. I do everything over IP, my internet connection is the most used utility in my house, and I have nothing to complain about, especially to spend 2.5x ("not much more") the price on something for the same coverage. I can cover twice the size of my house, and expand at will.

EDIT: I should clarify so I don't come off as a dick. People can spend their money however they please, I'm just saying the consumer systems and their functionality and stability do not warrant 2.5x the cost, so thats the strangest argument to make

Last edited by Aleks; 07-06-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #22
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
So, roughly $900-1000, opposed to $359 just to save yourself from power cycling, maybe? I haven't touched mine in months, talk about first world problems. I do everything over IP, my internet connection is the most used utility in my house, and I have nothing to complain about, especially to spend 2.5x ("not much more") the price on something for the same coverage. I can cover twice the size of my house, and expand at will.

EDIT: I should clarify so I don't come off as a dick. People can spend their money however they please, I'm just saying the consumer systems and their functionality and stability do not warrant 2.5x the cost, so thats the strangest argument to make
An Edgerouter lite $150, and 2 AC-Lites ($120x2) will give you rock solid 4000 sqft coverage. $390
Old 07-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #23
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
An Edgerouter lite $150, and 2 AC-Lites ($120x2) will give you rock solid 4000 sqft coverage. $390
Fair enough, but Orbi and Velop have a dedicated backhaul channel for wireless so theres no need to have backhaul or wired connections for the AP's to be connected to
Old 07-06-2018, 07:59 PM   #24
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, but Orbi and Velop have a dedicated backhaul channel for wireless so theres no need to have backhaul or wired connections for the AP's to be connected to
Yup that’s a good point. The APs do need wired connections.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:10 PM   #25
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
About $900 for everything I picked up, but that meant I didn't have to spend $500 for a new router PLUS spend additional money on a wired extender, or buy a $500 mesh system that still risked having the same problems as my previous setup. A wireless backhaul is still going to suffer the interference issues I had. Wired was the way to go.

Yeah, I spent double what a consumer solution would have cost, but it has been rock solid, the spouse acceptance factor is really high, and I get to have fun with enterprise-grade network gear in my house. I'm pretty happy with the purchase.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #26
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have the fancy Orbi and I can't possibly say enough of how much I love it. I have it setup in ethernet backhaul, while I'm sure it's not entirely necessary... I have the cat5e so why not.

I have 170+ megs in my entire room, from my bedroom to the basement TV area.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #27
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Google wifi has worked amazing creating a mesh network in my 2600 sq ft bungalow. Off of 3 units I basically don’t have a single spot in the entire house that can’t push ~125 mb/s and got all 3 on Boxing Day for 400 bucks
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #28
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
About $900 for everything I picked up, but that meant I didn't have to spend $500 for a new router PLUS spend additional money on a wired extender, or buy a $500 mesh system that still risked having the same problems as my previous setup. A wireless backhaul is still going to suffer the interference issues I had. Wired was the way to go.

Yeah, I spent double what a consumer solution would have cost, but it has been rock solid, the spouse acceptance factor is really high, and I get to have fun with enterprise-grade network gear in my house. I'm pretty happy with the purchase.
For sure, but backhaul is 5ghz which by most accounts doesn't suffer the degree of interference.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #29
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Google wifi has worked amazing creating a mesh network in my 2600 sq ft bungalow. Off of 3 units I basically don’t have a single spot in the entire house that can’t push ~125 mb/s and got all 3 on Boxing Day for 400 bucks
True, I was looking at that when it first came out but it was the ac1200 which held me back, it would have been an overall step backward from my previous routers, but would have likely been ok due to the increased coverage. The Orbi and Velop are 3300 and 4000 respectively (although they have different models with different speeds
Old 07-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #30
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

@TorqueDog, where did you buy these from? NewEgg? Been toying with this exact idea for a little while as well, reading this thread is making me want to do this even more!
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #31
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Good point, I didn't think of the backhaul being 5Ghz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
@TorqueDog, where did you buy these from? NewEgg? Been toying with this exact idea for a little while as well, reading this thread is making me want to do this even more!
The 8-port 60w PoE switch was from Newegg as they were significantly cheaper than Amazon. The USG, Cloud Key, AP-AC-Pro and AP-Mesh I picked up from Amazon. Both offered free shipping.

That said, Memory Express is carrying Ubiquiti gear now, and their prices are pretty competitive to Amazon / Newegg. Everything I bought for my setup is a regular stock item -- not special order -- so you could just drive to the store and buy it.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #32
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe someone in this thread can help me find my solution.

I'm lucky enough to have ethernet already wired into each room in the house when I bought it. The problem is I'm not sure how to set it up, ie where the input is. Our shaw modem can be set up right by where I assume the input to the rooms would be, but all there is is two panels of four inserts right beside each other with no labelling.

#1 will plugging ethernet through the shaw modem into the input work? #2 how do I go about finding the input? Guess and check? #3 can I then plug my own router using one of the ethernet ports in a room upstairs to generate the wifi?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #33
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Maybe someone in this thread can help me find my solution.

I'm lucky enough to have ethernet already wired into each room in the house when I bought it. The problem is I'm not sure how to set it up, ie where the input is. Our shaw modem can be set up right by where I assume the input to the rooms would be, but all there is is two panels of four inserts right beside each other with no labelling.

#1 will plugging ethernet through the shaw modem into the input work? #2 how do I go about finding the input? Guess and check? #3 can I then plug my own router using one of the ethernet ports in a room upstairs to generate the wifi?
I used an old laptop with an ethernet port the last time I did it.

This time, I decided to play like the pros and use a toner and probe kit: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.t...000750971.html Plug the tone generator into the jack in one of the rooms, turn it on, then go to your panel and use the probe to figure out which port belongs to that room. Label it, and do the next one.

As far as how you're plugging what into where, that depends on how your house is wired. If you're using the Shaw modem as a router, then you plug the ethernet ports from the Shaw modem into the panel ports, and then that will light up your ethernet ports in the house. If you have more ports in your home than ports on the Shaw router, either decide which are more important, or buy a gigabit switch, connect it to the modem, and plug the panel ports into the switch. You can also plug the Shaw modem into a single ethernet port in one room, then set up a network switch at your panel, and connect all the panel ports to that switch. I think that answers what you were asking.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:43 PM   #34
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I used an old laptop with an ethernet port the last time I did it.

This time, I decided to play like the pros and use a toner and probe kit: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.t...000750971.html Plug the tone generator into the jack in one of the rooms, turn it on, then go to your panel and use the probe to figure out which port belongs to that room. Label it, and do the next one.

As far as how you're plugging what into where, that depends on how your house is wired. If you're using the Shaw modem as a router, then you plug the ethernet ports from the Shaw modem into the panel ports, and then that will light up your ethernet ports in the house. If you have more ports in your home than ports on the Shaw router, either decide which are more important, or buy a gigabit switch, connect it to the modem, and plug the panel ports into the switch. You can also plug the Shaw modem into a single ethernet port in one room, then set up a network switch at your panel, and connect all the panel ports to that switch. I think that answers what you were asking.
Very thorough, thank you!

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:25 PM   #35
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ah, another fellow Ubiquiti convert. Congrats, TorqueDog!

I went UBNT last year myself, and I've never looked back since. SO much better than the Asus RT-68 I had before, and I paid basically the same amount that I did for the Asus when it was new!
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #36
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
Ah, another fellow Ubiquiti convert. Congrats, TorqueDog!

I went UBNT last year myself, and I've never looked back since. SO much better than the Asus RT-68 I had before, and I paid basically the same amount that I did for the Asus when it was new!
Thanks!

What I really like about going this route: when a new wireless standard happens to come out, I don't need to replace my router, re-do all my firewall rules, or lose internet connectivity on all my devices -- wired or wireless -- for a couple hours, or spend time working out the bugs from a new device.

I can replace one access point at a time -- my wireless devices will roam to the other AP -- adopt the new AP into the controller, and once it's provisioned I just replace the other AP the same way. Virtually zero downtime. Buying a new consumer wireless router was always slightly stressful because I knew I was going to have to make sure all my custom configuration was properly ported over to the new device.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #37
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

This "back haul" you guys have mentioned a couple times, what's that all about?

Was at ME today and was looking at the products you mentioned. Right now I have an Asus of sorts that I'm a bit disappointed with. So these Ubiquiti folks, they don't do the router/wireless all in one solution. You buy a router that is only hardwired and buy the wireless receiver separate?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:08 AM   #38
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

When it comes to routers or mesh systems that use access points there is a backhaul. What that means is when your connected to the access point it must first communicate with the main/parent node and information travels from the child node to the parent node and back again. The issue with access points without a dedicated or wireless backhaul is it uses the same channel (band) to downstream as it does to upstream which in turn lowers your throughput(speed) by as much as 50%.

Great systems have a parent node and multiple child nodes that are connected by Ethernet to insure top speeds. Ubiquiti has multiple options when it comes to setups. The one being explained in this thread by most of the users involves buying a managed switch then connected all your access points to this switch by Ethernet. The access points then provide a strong wireless signal by blanketing the home and do not suffer from cold spots or loss of speed when you are out of range of the main router.

Other systems that work well are Linksys Velop, Netgear Orbi, asus AiMesh and Ubiquiti’s consumer options. I had mentioned I had tried several mesh systems and only liked the first three I mentioned above as the other offerings were unable to consistently stream 4K uhd from my server. I attributed this to undedicated backhaul channels/wired backhaul as well as over management of the wireless networks. I have not tried ubiquitis new consumer setup because I am more then satisfied with my AiMesh and Velop setup.

Last edited by Diemenz; 07-26-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diemenz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #39
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
So these Ubiquiti folks, they don't do the router/wireless all in one solution. You buy a router that is only hardwired and buy the wireless receiver separate?
Correct for the Ubiquiti UniFi line, which is enterprise grade.

They also sell a product called the AmpliFi, which uses a central router with a wireless AP built in like a normal wireless router, then two additional wireless access points. The APs are entirely wireless (no wired backhaul for AmpliFi).

A consumer 'wireless router' is a actually a router, switch, and wireless access point in a single package. An 'all-in-one' solution, easy for average consumer to go out, buy, and set up. When the technology advances to the point that the wireless standard is outdated, or the hardware is sufficiently obsolete and no longer up to the task of doing what it was supposed to, you go out and buy a whole new box.

The advantage of an enterprise system is that everything is separate. Your router is a single box (the USG). The previously collocated switch ports, those are now a separate switch. The wireless access points (this is the best part), those are not only separate components but also are able to be located away from the router and switch; as far or as close as is necessary for what you're trying to accomplish. Being able to separate your access points from your router is a huge leg-up for signal strength.

I try and force all my devices to use 5GHz if they support it. With a few edge cases, none of my devices in the house slip below 80% signal strength with just two APs. The Mrs. is outside in our back yard, and her signal strength is sitting at 67% on 5GHz wireless AC. The device is still connected at 650 Mbps.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 07-27-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:39 PM   #40
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, I'm convinced.

Plan is to move shortly and one of the first things I'll be doing in the new place is making sure it has data lines run to each room. After that, this is the network I want to install. Hope you don't mind if you receive so PM's in the future asking some questions
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote