Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2018, 10:50 AM   #181
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Just curious, how come so many of you only play Offline?

I used to play offline before online was a thing, but IMO it's way better to play against a person. And since I dont always have a buddy over the Online Vs is great. That's basically all I play.

My kid however, plays every mode except Online Vs. But he's only 9 and would get killed playing anyone half decent.
I was skeptical too but this years game is much different. HUT is easier to get good players through trade in sets (Got Stamkos, Gretzky, Rinne, LaFleur, Naslund, Pavelski but they are untradeable) so my team is already at a 86 overall without spending any cash. The only issue is the tripping penalties online.

Franchise mode is where this game shines this year. The added scouts are great and you can hire your retired players to be scouts. You can turn fog of war on/off. Create a team has more options this year.

The game play is much better and smoother compared to 18 and hitting is more fun. Overall I would say this game does feel different that NHL 18 and I'm enjoying it. They just need to tune the tripping penalties.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #182
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I used to play offline before online was a thing, but IMO it's way better to play against a person. And since I dont always have a buddy over the Online Vs is great. That's basically all I play.

My kid however, plays every mode except Online Vs. But he's only 9 and would get killed playing anyone half decent.
Nothing ruins a game faster than other people. Most of them dont play the game like they're playing hockey, they just find that years exploit and try to do that all game
Add in the fact you have to pay to play online = big pass from me.

I also love franchise mode and be a pro, which as far as I know aren't available online. I can have a blast building a team as the GM and simulating most, if not all of a season, to see how the roster I built performs. I'm perfectly content to spend 60+% of my time in menus planning out my salary cap structure

Last edited by btimbit; 09-18-2018 at 11:02 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #183
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mostly just get together with a couple buddies and play out a franchise while having a couple beers.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #184
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Nothing ruins a game faster than other people. Most of them dont play the game like they're playing hockey, they just find that years exploit and try to do that all game
Add in the fact you have to pay to play online = big pass from me.

I also love franchise mode and be a pro, which as far as I know aren't available online. I can have a blast building a team as the GM and simulating most, if not all of a season, to see how the roster I built performs. I'm perfectly content to spend 60+% of my time in menus planning out my salary cap structure
Hmm see I actually look forward to people trying to do the same move or play over and over. Much easier to stop them that way I find.

Though that's where I think the game has improved over the years. The cheap plays and exploits are way less than they were 10 years ago and way way way less than 20 years ago.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #185
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

For me, I don't play enough online on PS4 to justify the $70 a year.

$150 for NHL 19 is more than I'm willing to pay.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #186
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hmm see I actually look forward to people trying to do the same move or play over and over. Much easier to stop them that way I find.

Though that's where I think the game has improved over the years. The cheap plays and exploits are way less than they were 10 years ago and way way way less than 20 years ago.
I'm like that for every game though not just NHL. Playing online just doesn't appeal to me. The only games ive played online all year were Battlefield and Rainbow Six on PC, where I didn't have to pay extra to do it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #187
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:

To echo the other response: I don't really like other people. It feels like 75% of my games end in somebody rage quitting on me in the 2nd period, making some snide comment at me, or trying the same move over and over and over again. I don't get people who only play online... is it actually fun navigating those waters? I have a small group of buddies and we play against each other, but we schedule our games so you're only really playing about 3x/week. Beyond that it's all cpu for me. It takes a beating and doesn't whine or call me gay.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #188
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was one of the big things that GM Connected dealt with. You get to play real people, instead of a CPU (which to me feels pointless), but they've all invested something in your league and presumably you know most of them either personally or through a venue like this one. It's sort of like a hockey pool - you can even organize it like one, where everyone buys in and the cup champ takes the pot. And you get all the team building benefits of Franchise mode but without the terrible GM AI.

Basically, I'd always play online because playing any other way feels like a waste of time. I spend a bunch of hours playing (or simming) games to see if I can build my team and organization how I want it, and after a few hours I'll be struck with the absurdity of it. Why am I doing this? Playing the games against a CPU opponent gets repetitive for me, particularly since I get no real sense of accomplishment at beating a machine.

Online vs mode is better but also gets a bit boring after a while. EASHL is probably the best implemented mode, but has the drawbacks people have mentioned about trying to get into a game and then people quitting when they're losing, plus it doesn't really feel like NHL controlling only one player - or at least it's less fun for me. HUT, I will never ever play given its pay-to-win nature (and frankly even if you gave me a team of legends I'd still get bored; playing with all-star teams isn't that fun).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #189
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe its just luck but the majority of online games I play are just good competitive games. I get the odd message after but I dont even read them, I also dont use a headset.

Funny enough its the only game I plat online, any first person shooters etc I much prefer single player. I find people ruin those games online, or really I just suck at them.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #190
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe its just luck but the majority of online games I play are just good competitive games. I get the odd message after but I dont even read them, I also dont use a headset.

Funny enough its the only game I plat online, any first person shooters etc I much prefer single player. I find people ruin those games online, or really I just suck at them.
Online does seem better this year. Every game I've been in has been close. 4-2-0 in competitive seasons so far.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #191
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm loving online so far this year. 30 games in and still undefeated!
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2018, 01:12 AM   #192
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

The new game has great graphics, very smooth... i like the body positioning and player physics in regards to hitting. The poke check is basically turned into a high skill move that us poke check spammers will have to get used to. However, i think it can be addressed by playing towards the arcade end of the scale, so it's not as penalty driven to punish you for doing it (just a guess thought).

They did this with the dive block a couple years ago.

Overall, it plays pretty nice and is a really great step forward. Can't wait to play the career mode on this one.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:34 PM   #193
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haven't played online yet so I'm not sure how much cheese there is, but as far as offline gameplay this feels the best it has in years.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #194
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I can’t take these games anymore. I think the game itself is vastly improved, but the poke checking is so out of control. For someone like me who only plays online versus it pretty much makes the game unenjoyable. So unrealistic and basically non-stop tripping penalties. Not a lot you can do about it either because the AI of your team still sucks so it’s hard to beat the poke check. 9 times out of 10 the guy you pass it to is standing still so that just results in another poke check.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:54 PM   #195
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Just be better.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #196
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Just be better.
At one point I was ranked 57 in online versus a few years ago. I don’t think being better is the problem. I just don’t have much fun playing a first missed poke check loses game any time I play someone who is a quality matchup. I’ve mostly been playing threes last year as with only 3 players on the ice you can get away from the poke check a little more.

I don’t play it enough anymore to be ranked very high like when I was younger but I’d venture there still wouldn’t be very many that would beat me easily. I just don’t find it very fun anymore. NBA2K19 is a much better online versus experience and I routinely get my ass kicked by 20 points.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 09-30-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:26 AM   #197
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have you played NHL 19, Oracle? I’m not sure if you’re suggesting that the issue with poke checking is that it’s too effective, or too ineffective. 19 is radically different than 18 in this regard - you need to be more selective with your poke checks and body position/stick lifting is the surest means of robbing and retaining the puck this year. It’s good. Combined with the new player movement tech, I find that this year’s game feels far more natural and enjoyable to play than the past several iterations.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #198
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Have you played NHL 19, Oracle? I’m not sure if you’re suggesting that the issue with poke checking is that it’s too effective, or too ineffective. 19 is radically different than 18 in this regard - you need to be more selective with your poke checks and body position/stick lifting is the surest means of robbing and retaining the puck this year. It’s good. Combined with the new player movement tech, I find that this year’s game feels far more natural and enjoyable to play than the past several iterations.
Yes I have. Purchased it last week. Definitely a large improvement over 2018 like you said. The constant poke checking just really effects the online versus. I’m had a guy take 14 tripping my minors on me last night. Really slows the game down.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #199
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The scouting system is a MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT. Wow. Once you get the hang of it and start to get efficient in your scouting you can really have a fun draft.

Trading up and down to get the player you want, making informed decisions instead of just auto-drafting.

Now if they just gave you notifications when scouts were finished their assignments....

...and improved almost every other aspect of the mode.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #200
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the 10 hour demo and played it yesterday. Haven't really dived into the single player part of the game, but multiplayer I was playing for a bit. The gameplay is a bit different, but IMO it's mostly the same ol' with a fresh coat of pain on it.

The stickwork is kind of frustrating as other's have said. Maybe I need to adjust my play, but the tripping penalties are over the top in MP. Like it or not, active sticks are a huge part of real hockey. For example, when a skater is coming at me in the game and I'm a D skating backwards. If I use my stick to try and poke the puck away, what doesn't happen in real life is the skater tripping on my stick and a penalty getting called. The replays make it look even more dumb, like a forward facing slew foot. It's as if the algorithm tells the game if RB/R1 is pressed and the stick is in the vicinity of the skates, it's an automatic penalty. It doesn't seem that the penalty is called when the physics of the stick cause the skates to slip. It's almost as if every poke check is interpeted by the game as a slew foot, and the animations show as such. It's dumb and should be fixed. Watch an NHL game and you see stick work all game long.

But IMO what's even dumber is ONCE AGAIN the lack of OTP mode that every single other version of the game had except for last year and now this year. Now maybe I'm dumb and it's hidden somewhere. But the 6 vs 6 mode that was fun to play is actually gone. Now if you want 6 vs 6, it has to be with your created character in HUT mode. Whomever made that decision is an idiot and deserves to be called out for it. Now I get to enjoy playing my crappy HUT character against people who have higher level characters. Put back in the original 6 vs 6 OTP mode that was a part of the series for 12 years. Don't mess with it.

But perhaps the dumbest aspect of all, the thing I've been asking for to get changed since 2006 is the ability to pause the game in multiplayer and make other gamers wait on you. You can't pause in COD or other multiplayer games. So why the F is it acceptable to pause in a damn online hockey game?? If you need to pause an online game, you shouldn't be playing it in the first place. However EA should have made it so you hit pause and the AI takes over until you come back. Not to mention the extended replays and intermission times that no one ever seems to skip through and you are forced to watch. I firmly believe that people don't skip through replays or intermissions because they want you to rage quit out of impatience, thus giving them the win. There's no need to have 1 minutes of replays after each period, followed by a 30 second intermission. Make it 10 seconds like every respawn in every other MP game.

And the stupid PowerPoint-like animated menus are still cumbersome to navigate. Nothing like having the menus lag out while the music blares in the background, just so you get get to the next menu.

I'm one of those annoying people who seeming complains about the game every year. But really it's these tiny things that EA never seems to correct that just makes it frustrating. The actual game play itself has its nuances, but overall it's a decent game of hockey. But pausing online games, Powerpoint laggy menus, removing features (6vs6!!!). It's things like this that hold the game back. Essentially every year is just dust off the ol' temple and apply a fresh coat of paint.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 10-09-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote