Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-29-2018, 02:58 PM   #221
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like that the Edmonton snake dips out of the graph.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #222
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might be a blessing in disguise, the team spending most of February on the road.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #223
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
How very strange. By a cursory reading of CP the past several weeks one would think the Flames are the worst team in the NHL. The snake would seem to disagree.
Keep in mind that the bar here is a line that just gets you into the playoffs. Being 0.6 points above that line is not exactly a suggestion that they are the 1976 Canadiens.

Many fans believe this team should be on pace to exceed 100 points. And or them, there is plenty of room for angst.

Now back to regularly scheduled sneking.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #224
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Keep in mind that the bar here is a line that just gets you into the playoffs. Being 0.6 points above that line is not exactly a suggestion that they are the 1976 Canadiens.

Many fans believe this team should be on pace to exceed 100 points. And or them, there is plenty of room for angst.

Now back to regularly scheduled sneking.

Yeah, that’s fine. But the Flames are only three points off of a 100-point-pace, which I assume would meet everyone’s basic expectations. That strikes me as a fairly insignificant cause for much angst. It I s the difference of a single win and an OT/SO loss over the course of 82 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:29 PM   #225
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yeah, that’s fine. But the Flames are only three points off of a 100-point-pace, which I assume would meet everyone’s basic expectations. That strikes me as a fairly insignificant cause for much angst. It I s the difference of a single win and an OT/SO loss over the course of 82 games.
Well I did say exceed 100 points, but whatever.

Also, it only takes a few swing games to make all the difference. If they hold off and beat LA in regulation, or they hold off and beat the Oilers, it would only mean one more point, but it would make all the difference in the world with respect to sentiment.

Also, let's not lose site of the fact that the Flames only clawed their way to the happy side of the line after a 7-game winning streak. Let's see if they can remain there before we get all complacent,.

Anyway, this conversation has been had over and over, let's keep the thread on track.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:20 PM   #226
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Let's see if they can remain there before we get all complacent,.
I don't know about you but I'm complacent all the time and it doesn't seem to affect the Flames' record.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 11:56 AM   #227
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's just the nature of our world today - "what have you done for me lately?". If the Flames went 7-1-4 like this:

W, W, OL, W, W, OL, W, L, OL, W, OL, W

instead of like this:

W, W, W, W, W, W, W, OL, OL, OL, OL, L

I'm sure everyone would be much more happy, even though it has the same total point gain. The season is long for a reason - teams will ebb and flow, but overall their ending record is a pretty good indication of how good they actually are. That's why the snake is great - we can take out all the emotion of the ups and downs and see that in the long run all we need is to slowly work our way above the black line, and there are 82 game in which to accomplish this goal.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #228
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
It's just the nature of our world today - "what have you done for me lately?". If the Flames went 7-1-4 like this:

W, W, OL, W, W, OL, W, L, OL, W, OL, W

instead of like this:

W, W, W, W, W, W, W, OL, OL, OL, OL, L

I'm sure everyone would be much more happy, even though it has the same total point gain. The season is long for a reason - teams will ebb and flow, but overall their ending record is a pretty good indication of how good they actually are. That's why the snake is great - we can take out all the emotion of the ups and downs and see that in the long run all we need is to slowly work our way above the black line, and there are 82 game in which to accomplish this goal.
Plus, as the 7 wins all happened in one cluster you have to throw them out. Streaks don't count.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:00 PM   #229
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s funny how the above posts only want to look at the Flames record starting with the win streak. Kind of an interesting starting point when trying to criticize posters who are too focused on “streaks”.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #230
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It’s funny how the above posts only want to look at the Flames record starting with the win streak. Kind of an interesting starting point when trying to criticize posters who are too focused on “streaks”.
I was referring to posts that throw out a win streak when considering the whole season. Criticism of the act, not any particular poster.

edit: How else would you rearrange two streaks that are back-to-back? Include non-streak games before and after?

Last edited by the2bears; 02-01-2018 at 05:06 PM.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 05:39 AM   #231
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

The snake is back on the rise.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #232
Loudog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

snek snek snek!
Loudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #233
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, all I was getting at is how streaks tend to skew people's perception too much in each direction. People tend to overvalue how good a team is playing on a win streak, and undervalue a team on a losing streak.

Now that we've won 2 in a row again, the 6 game losing streak is mostly forgotten even though people were crying wolf last week that the team needed a big shake up.

Also - Go Snek!
Old 02-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #234
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Yeah, all I was getting at is how streaks tend to skew people's perception too much in each direction. People tend to overvalue how good a team is playing on a win streak, and undervalue a team on a losing streak.

Now that we've won 2 in a row again, the 6 game losing streak is mostly forgotten even though people were crying wolf last week that the team needed a big shake up.

Also - Go Snek!
I’m personally more interested in what occurs during the winning and losing streaks rather than freaking out or crying wolf. I’ve drawn the conclusion that this team relies tok heavily on a few players to win this team games.

When we go on long winning streaks or good stretches this season, it’s mostly been on the backs of Johnny Gaudreau’s point streaks and his line along with major contributors from the Backlund line. Mike Smith has also been one of, if not the largest reason for the number of wins and points we’ve collected.

When there’s a slight drop off at all or an off game from anyone one of those guys, we tend to lose those games because quite frankly, you can’t expect our top guys to score every night or to have Mike Smith always stand on his head.

To me, there’s a very obvious drop off from our top 2 lines to the bottom 2 lines and this has to be fixed asap if we want to contend this season. They’ve just been too wildly inconsistent or completely non existent this season. I can’t even imagine how much better our placement in the standings would be if we just had better performances from our bottom 6 this season.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #235
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

The snake does not care about who is on the top line, how the goalie is playing, what the drop off is from the top two lines to the bottom two lines, whether Gulutzan should have called a timeout, or what Iginla is doing. All the snake cares about are points.

The red snake is 0.049 points below the black line, 1 point above the green snake, and 7 points above the purple snake.

Regular:

Extra crispy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #236
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Long live Snek.

Only thinking about this because of our 6 game losing streak with OTLs but, what is the least possible amount of victories one could get and still hit 96 points with the loser league?

14 W- 0 L - 68 OTL = 96 points... I think this point system is stupid
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:30 AM   #237
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

The red snake is having a fierce battle with the green snake right now. Go red snake!
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:45 PM   #238
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

וְהַנָּחָשׁ֙ הָיָ֣ה עָר֔וּם מִכֹּל

Second in the Pacific.

Hail Snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:42 AM   #239
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #240
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

With last night's win, the red snake climbs above the black snake one more time. It has a 0.780 advantage over the black snake, 1 point on the green snake, and 7 points on the purple snake. Over the last 16 games, representing almost 20% of the season, the red snake has earned 24 points. This is a 1.5 PPG pace, equivalent to a 123 point season.

Regular:

Extra crispy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:

Tags
mcsnake , playoffs , snake , snek , win