Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #41
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drugs, including weed, are a waste of time (getting exercise will give you a better high than any drug would), but marijuana should be legalized. It simply costs too much money to fight it. Not really sure why, even, that governments would be opposed to it. It should be a freedom of choice. Cigarettes ans alcohol are just as bad.

Plus, even if you had it legally available to you, doesn't mean you will then start smoking weed. I sure as hell won't ever again.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #42
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Thanks for calling out the 'cures cancer', 'it's actually good for you' BS.
Show me where this was said.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #43
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Drugs, including weed, are a waste of time (getting exercise will give you a better high than any drug would), but marijuana should be legalized.
You ever exercised... on weed?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HOOT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #44
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
(getting exercise will give you a better high than any drug would)
You must have had some seriously terrible drugs.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #45
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

Is it possible that more study needs to be done? My only concerns is, I wonder if there is the ability to do an independent study anymore. Both side are strongly entrenched.

In fact a quick google search shows that you can find studies that support both sides, but they come from entities that support the findings of the study.
Of course more studies need to be done but because it's illegal they are hard to come by on a non-partisan level. However, when I look at how the government tries to scare people from using a legal drug in cigarettes why wouldn't they do the same for cannabis if it was true? The only thing the governments have said or say is things that are false. Like killing brain cells, makes you lazy, your friends won't like you, ruins your life, etc.

They even have to change their own studies to make their point because they know the dangers for using cannabis are so low. Humans have been smoking cannabis for thousands of years and it's been studied for decades but there is very little evidence of it's harm when compared to other legal or illegal substances people enjoy.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #46
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
They even have to change their own studies to make their point because they know the dangers for using cannabis are so low.
As I mentioned earlier I am undecided, but I would apprecaite a source for that statement.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #47
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
http://www.drugabuse.gov/publication...acts/marijuana

Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person's existing problems worse. In fact, heavy marijuana users generally report lower life satisfaction, poorer mental and physical health, relationship problems, and less academic and career success compared to their peers who came from similar backgrounds. For example, marijuana use is associated with a higher likelihood of dropping out from school. Several studies also associate workers' marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' compensation claims, and job turnover.

Research has shown that, in chronic users, marijuana's adverse impact on learning and memory persists after the acute effects of the drug wear off; when marijuana use begins in adolescence, the effects may persist for many years. Research from different areas is converging on the fact that regular marijuana use by young people can have long-lasting negative impact on the structure and function of their brains.

http://www.cpha.ca/en/portals/substa...lth/faq02.aspx

Is the fact that some people can't moderate themselves a reason to make it illegal for everyone though?

I know a lot of heavy marijuana users that are big failures and I do think that it played a roll and that they started too young.

But I also know quite a few successful professionals who started using it occasionally as adults (after they became somewhat established) and are still quite successful.

Legal or not, kids are still going to abuse it. Would legalization help with harm reduction? That is the real question.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #48
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not a drug user - never have been - haven't even held a normal lit cigarette but I don't get the whole pot being illegal thing.

Make it legal and tax it so I can have better things in life - if people like it they'll find a way to get it.

The only thing a little worrisome is how wrapped up in it some people get. I mean I see so many XBL accounts with the name 420POT_SMOKER4LIFE420 or something like it. It seems like some people almost see pot smoking as a hobby?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #49
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

For sure they do. But there are beer magazines and cigar magazines too, so I don't know if you can really single pot smokers out.

I think the reason people wanna talk about it so much (especially teens and young adults) is because it IS illegal. Rebellion is part of the appeal. If it were legal, I think a lot of the silly hobby people would disappear, though it would still remain a hobby like many other vices.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #50
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Legal or not, kids are still going to abuse it. Would legalization help with harm reduction? That is the real question.
Well if they put even 1/4 of the money used to fight it currently into awareness campaigns and proper regulation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #51
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
http://www.drugabuse.gov/publication...acts/marijuana

Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a person's existing problems worse. In fact, heavy marijuana users generally report lower life satisfaction, poorer mental and physical health, relationship problems, and less academic and career success compared to their peers who came from similar backgrounds. For example, marijuana use is associated with a higher likelihood of dropping out from school. Several studies also associate workers' marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' compensation claims, and job turnover.

Research has shown that, in chronic users, marijuana's adverse impact on learning and memory persists after the acute effects of the drug wear off; when marijuana use begins in adolescence, the effects may persist for many years. Research from different areas is converging on the fact that regular marijuana use by young people can have long-lasting negative impact on the structure and function of their brains.

http://www.cpha.ca/en/portals/substa...lth/faq02.aspx
Correlation <> causation.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #52
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
You must have had some seriously terrible drugs.
Actually, I've done mostly all of the street-level stuff at some point in my life, as embarrassing as that is to admit.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #53
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Interesting Vice cover on Canada's War on Weed.

With a reported value of over six billion dollars, it's no secret that marijuana in British Columbia is big business. However, due to the recent legalization of weed in Washington and Colorado, the draconian crime laws pushed forward by the Canadian Conservative government's omnibus crime bill, and recent changes to medical marijuana regulations, the entire industry is suddenly facing an identity crisis. VICE Canada went west to talk to the people directly affected by these recent events: from the legalization activists and the large and small scale growers, to the illegal traffickers and law enforcement, we talked to the people on the front lines of the battle for control over one of Canada's most undervalued resource.

The only people who want to keep it illegal, are drug dealers and politicians. In my eyes, both are criminals...
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robotic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #54
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, I've done mostly all of the street-level stuff at some point in my life, as embarrassing as that is to admit.
Don't see why that embarrassing. Sounds like you lived a little when you were younger.

I'd consider waking up and realizing you're middle aged with a family and never having done or tried anything a little "crazy" far more embarrassing.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #55
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rob Ford approves this thread.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #56
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
(getting exercise will give you a better high than any drug would)
lol....

If that was the case, the entire planet would be made up of men that resemble Roman Gods and women with flawless bodies.

A quick look around indicates that's not the case.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 06-11-2013 at 04:02 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #57
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Quote:
She is celebrated in a statue on Parliament Hill for her leading role among the Famous Five, who fought in the courts and were ultimately successful in having women recognized as “persons” under the law. And she endures in the spirit of Canada’s marijuana laws, which continue to reflect some of her hysterical views.
I laughed.

They might as well just title the article "Why it's time to boot the Conservatives". This isn't the only time they've ignored all the evidence in favour of ideology.
What I found more amusing with that quote was the use of the word 'hysterical' with respect to her views.

Given the history of the word and the context it's used in I had a little nerd chuckle...
Old 06-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #58
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Outside of the obvious benefits that come from tax revenues, I am more interested in some numbers of how big of a market legalization of pot could create, how many jobs, etc, etc. It could really help drive the economy.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #59
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo_threefour View Post
What I found more amusing with that quote was the use of the word 'hysterical' with respect to her views.

Given the history of the word and the context it's used in I had a little nerd chuckle...
That's why I laughed.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #60
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The fact is, legal or not, people are still going to smoke weed. I can't wait for this summer.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada , cannabis , facts , legalization , marijuana