Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #13821
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Or they are just remnants of the Flames initial interest resurfacing every time Ristolainen's name comes up in trade speculation.
Maybe. But it's still there regardless. I dont want to seem like I'm championing a cause for Ristolainen to become a Flame but I also won't wave off things I have heard over the past year either.

Still just seems like it's a thing thatll happen. That's all.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:56 AM   #13822
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
And yet there's still been on going reports and ties to Ristolainen and Calgary in trade rumors 2 years following that Burkie nugget. To me it seems more like if the price was right they'd do a deal instead of a complete no go.
All that was said is there is a team (none specifically said) that is looking at Risto as part of a trade with buffalo for Reinhart or Eichel.

I find it hard to believe that that team would be Calgary
Old 06-18-2021, 10:56 AM   #13823
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Risto could be very good in an appropriate role (2nd pair).

I still think Andersson is the most likely piece where the Eichel talks start (+Dube/Mangi + prospect + pick), so bringing Risto back would fill that gap for the year (and be a decent TDL sell if Flames are out of contention).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
If you do a post mortem on where this rebuild went wrong in 5 years...there is no doubt that the mandate of "trucullence" post Feaster for a year derailed us. In a league this close...it just takes a Kucherov and Point pick to turn around the whole next decade. Instead we went after the Keegan Kanzig, Hunter Smith type players. The Schneider over Demko pick even at the time didn't make sense.

In a 31 team league...3 decisions like that at the different between 1st and bubble team.
The thing I'll mention about Point until I'm blue in the face is that we could have had more pick(s) in that range if Burke wasn't so stubborn about not trading Cammi.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:09 AM   #13824
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I think Risto could be very good in an appropriate role (2nd pair).

I still think Andersson is the most likely piece where the Eichel talks start (+Dube/Mangi + prospect + pick), so bringing Risto back would fill that gap for the year (and be a decent TDL sell if Flames are out of contention).

The thing I'll mention about Point until I'm blue in the face is that we could have had more pick(s) in that range if Burke wasn't so stubborn about not trading Cammi.
And the likelihood of Calgary picking Point? IIRC Burke ran that draft. I agree, he should have traded Cammaleri
Old 06-18-2021, 11:16 AM   #13825
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
And the likelihood of Calgary picking Point? IIRC Burke ran that draft. I agree, he should have traded Cammaleri
Burke running that draft is a complete CP fabrication because one of the players taken was tall
Old 06-18-2021, 11:18 AM   #13826
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Burke running that draft is a complete CP fabrication because one of the players taken was tall
Well who else did? Treliving may have had some late input but I have to imagine Burke was acting as GM during a lot of prospect evaluation meetings leading up to the draft.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-18-2021 at 11:21 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #13827
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
it makes sense though, Tre was only recently hired and as we have seen in the drafts since, the focus the scouts have is different, there was not enough time to completely change everything pre draft after he was hired.

But yes it is speculation
Old 06-18-2021, 11:21 AM   #13828
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well who else did? Treliving may have had some late input but I have to imagine Burke was acting as GM during a lot of prospect evaluation meetings leading up to the draft. If you look at some of those picks they do look like Burke had his finger prints on them as they do not overly resemble the types of players the Flames drafted before or after that draft.
Yup:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/burk...-pick/c-714988

And especially farther down the draft, Treliving would have been leaning heavily on Burke and his team.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:21 AM   #13829
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Well who else did? Treliving may have had some late input but I have to imagine Burke was acting as GM during a lot of prospect evaluation meetings leading up to the draft.
Treliving had full autonomy and control of all hockey decisions by the draft and would have been completely prepared for it due to his role in Arizona
Old 06-18-2021, 11:23 AM   #13830
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That article completely disproves your point haha

He says it will be the new GM’s call and that he literally never even watched Sam Bennett play

So Burke ran the draft huh?
Old 06-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #13831
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Treliving had full autonomy and control of all hockey decisions by the draft and would have been completely prepared for it due to his role in Arizona
Except he was working with Coyotes scouts who may have focused on different players. I can't imagine Treliving was allowed to bring Coyotes player evaluations with him. Most of the leg work was done under Burke.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 11:27 AM   #13832
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That article completely disproves your point haha

He says it will be the new GM’s call and that he literally never even watched Sam Bennett play

So Burke ran the draft huh?
I'm not sure what that has to do with the discussion. Burke was clearly involved with player evaluation as stated in your link.

Quote:
"The only top guy I haven't seen is Bennett because he was suspended the night I was supposed to go in and see him," Burke said. "He got suspended the night before which, in Brian Burke's book, that's not a bad thing."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 11:32 AM   #13833
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His main role in Phoenix was managing the minor league team and day to day hockey ops in Phoenix.

Not to mention preparing for Phoenix’ draft could be a fair bit different than Calgary.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #13834
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Chris Cuthbert saying that Yzerman himself knew he was going to draft Point after seeing him play just one game.

I think it comes down to simple talent evaluation rather than prolonged exposure in the Calgary "backyard"

But with that said, the Flames draft from the WHL way more often than they do from the QMJHL. So they obviously watch the WHL closely.
I have heard Burke talk about Point last playoffs when he was still in the media. He did say Calgary knew about him and how good he was they just thought he was too small. The Flames really blew that draft in a big way. I always remember Burke coming across as a skeptic when Gaudreau was the top prospect in the organization as well which was maybe to temper expectations but I think is also derived from his belief at least at the time that small players won’t work.

Drafting Hunter Smith in the second round then trading a 3rd for Bollig (Point was taken before that pick anyway) were signs of what Burke was looking to do. Bennett was the slam dunk choice but going McDonald over Demko made little sense as did drafting Smith and trading a pick for a 4th line tough guy with a bunch of term left on his deal.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 11:40 AM   #13835
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure what that has to do with the discussion. Burke was clearly involved with player evaluation as stated in your link.
His role had completely changed by the time the draft actually happened

So how can we say a guy who didn’t even watch the prospect we took fourth overall ran the entire draft? He never scouted Sam Bennett but forced the GM to take Hunter Smith? Seems like a massive reach

I also don’t see how (outside of Smith) any of the picks are particularly “Burke” style picks. A goalie out of the Q in the early second round actually seems like the opposite of Burke philosophy to me
Old 06-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #13836
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default 2020/2021 Trade Speculation and Rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I have heard Burke talk about Point last playoffs when he was still in the media. He did say Calgary knew about him and how good he was they just thought he was too small. The Flames really blew that draft in a big way. I always remember Burke coming across as a skeptic when Gaudreau was the top prospect in the organization as well which was maybe to temper expectations but I think is also derived from his belief at least at the time that small players won’t work.

Drafting Hunter Smith in the second round then trading a 3rd for Bollig (Point was taken before that pick anyway) were signs of what Burke was looking to do. Bennett was the slam dunk choice but going McDonald over Demko made little sense as did drafting Smith and trading a pick for a 4th line tough guy with a bunch of term left on his deal.

I seem to remember Burke in an interview early on about Gaudreau when he was still a prospect but fans were getting excited about him. I think Burke interrupted a reporter asking him about gaudreau. I’m paraphrasing all of this here but it went something like this:
Reporter: “obviously he is a smaller player but-“
Burke: “he’s not just small, he’s tiny”

I remember disliking Burke’s attitude in that interview cause I think the flames still had not signed Gaudreau and we were all still worried he might play his final year of college and go FA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by stemit14; 06-18-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #13837
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So how can we say a guy who didn’t even watch the prospect we took fourth overall ran the entire draft? He never scouted Sam Bennett but forced the GM to take Hunter Smith? Seems like a massive reach

I also don’t see how (outside of Smith) any of the picks are particularly “Burke” style picks. A goalie out of the Q in the early second round actually seems like the opposite of Burke philosophy to me
Really? I honestly do not get what is hard to comprehend?

Burke is the boss he has a team (scouts) he has assembled that is going to execute his vision for the team (players). The message was almost certainly “we need to get bigger and tougher” the scouts then prioritize a list that ensure this criteria is met. In the top 4 I am sure the Flames prioritized BPA to which there was a clear tier of 4 players at the top. We all knew there was a 95% chance the Flames would get Bennett, Draisaitl, Reinhart, or Ekblad (no way he was falling to 4th however). There was some discussion if the Flames even had Nick Ritchie that high on the list because he was a big power forward winger.

They take the first pick with a plan to take their top goalie in the 2nd round then focus on big, tough players. Burke doesn’t have to personally scout anyone to set a vision for what type of player he wants.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 11:58 AM   #13838
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eklund is speculating that the Canucks will trade the 9th pick and a goalie prospect to the Sabres for Reinhart.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #13839
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So either the current GM completely screwed up that very important draft, or the guy brought in to mentor the current GM completely screwed it up. Not great either way.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:02 PM   #13840
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Someone in the organization really whiffed on McDonald. I doubt Sigalet would have been overly involved in scouting him as he wasn't promoted from the Heat until a month after the draft. I also don't know how involved a guy like Burke would have been with goaltender evaluations. Someone in amateur scouting must have been really high on McDonald. Hope that person if still with the organization isn't involved in scouting goaltenders.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread