Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #81
JohnnyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I am totally confused by this post. I don't disagree with any of it but it provides no arguments for. Palm has the opportunity to create a product to compete with the iPhone and using iTunes media by simply coming up with an innovative way of getting the library's content. Instead, they got lazy and pretend that they are an iPhone.

How is this innovative or good for competition?

I don't care that Sony made a motion controller but I would if they did it by allowing you to plug in a Wiimote into a PS3 or used copyrighted Nintendo technology.
I would say it was very innovative and goes along with what Palm said in the past which was open season. I've read that they may have done it just because it's win /win for them. It gives them a ton of publicity. It shows up Apple as a closed against competition, force the customer to take what they offer kind of company against their tradition of allowing one and all to get involved. Heck it's not like they would have any problem doing some syncing software especially considering how many ex-Apple employees they brought in.

They could very easily just match every Apple update with one of their own and when Apple counters they anger their own customers while gaining nothing. They could go to court but that's likely nothing more than a crapload of money given to lawyers.

Again I look at it from the point of view as a customer. I don't care if it's tech that they invented or just fool it into thinking it's something else. What's it to me? Apple can always just cut some deal with Palm and push it under the radar if they are smart. Did not iTunes exist before ipod? Did it not allow other devices in? Did they not then decide to close it up? Should have just remained open in the first place.
JohnnyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #82
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I don't understand your point. Palm's phone is sending a false vendor ID to iTunes to spoof it into thinking it's an iPod - which is enabling it to sync with iTunes. The argument is why don't they just write their own sync software like everyone else does?

Why should Apple be forced to make its privately-built and funded sync application work with a competitor's product? Blackberry makes their own. Microsoft makes their own. Apple makes their own. Palm should make their own.

It doesn't really need to be more complicated than that.
Are they being forced?

Is Palm asking them to do anything?

Where they cross the line is when they actively block Palm.

Personally I think Apple just needs to continue their development and ignore companies like Palm.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #83
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Oh, I wasn't saying they were being forced... I was just responding specifically to JohnnyFlame's stance that they should be forced.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #84
JohnnyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Oh, I wasn't saying they were being forced... I was just responding specifically to JohnnyFlame's stance that they should be forced.
I didn't say they should be forced. Just that they should open it up and just let whoever connect however. At the very least just do what Bobblehead suggested and ignore them. I think they have played right into Palm's hand.
JohnnyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #85
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Today's response from the USB-IF not only dismissed Palm's complaint against Apple, but also turned the tables on Palm by requesting an explanation of the company's apparent violation of USB policies in using Apple's USB Vendor ID. From the USB-IF's letter:
http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/22/...ncing-dispute/

Haha... thanks for coming out Palm. iPhone killer, indeed.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote