Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #721
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

That shot is the reason they got rid of Derozan for one year of Kawhi, if that's what it ends up being. In a way it is a bit of what seemed to plague this years Flames team. With Lowry and Derozan the Raptors have been a good team, but when they went up against Lebron they would get beat down. These guys could just never seem to get it together and be consistent in the playoffs.

We have already seen with Leonard, that even if he's not entirely on his game, he'll grid like crazy and find a way to do something whether his team mates decide to contribute or not. You don't hesitate putting the ball in his hands in any moment. You did with past guys that they have had.

It's probably as memorable a moment in Toronto sports that they've had in the past 20 years with the Bautista bat flip. Certainly the finality of this adds to the drama. It's about the most memorable Raptors moment that I can think of. But nothing will ever top Carters home run.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 05-13-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:37 PM   #722
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I think the hype will peak when they take Game 1. They will then probably lose in 5.

But it doesn't matter - that's what's so great about a moment like that. It lives on forever even if you don't win it all. I was thinking about what to compare it to last night, and thing it most reminds me of is Yzerman's slapper in game 7 2OT against the Gretzky Blues. That's an all-time moment that everyone can picture, and it doesn't matter that the Red Wings got beat by the Avalanche in the following round. It's sports history. Obviously I wasn't in the building, and I wasn't there in person for this, but they're both things I'll always remember watching.
Yep. Fleury’s game 6 goal was a great moment at the time. Can’t take that away even if it meant little in the scheme of things.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #723
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Or Martin Gelinas game 7 winner against Vancouver or his game 6 winner against Detroit. Of course they will be etched in history as huge sports moments despite the outcome of the playoffs. And of course fans went crazy at the time, that's what sports is.

MagnumPEI just came in here to be a dope and he probably got what he wanted.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #724
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those are big moments for Flames fans, but comparing this to those moments massively undersells what that shot is. There are lots of big goals that mean a lot to a particular local fanbase.

This isn't that. This is literally the only time in a game 7 someone has hit a buzzer beater, much less one that bounced four times off the rim. The Raptors' history and context form a part of it, but it transcends the Raptors. "Matteau Matteau Matteau" is a better comparison, or Lemaire to Lafleur, or "Off the Floor, On the Board", or the Yzerman goal. It's that big a moment.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 05-13-2019 at 02:26 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #725
jayswin

Exp:

I was responding to the absurdity that people shouldn't be excited about a big sports moment because they may not win it all. Flames comparables were meant to be other examples of big moments(perhaps ones that would get through to MagnumPEI), not other examples of big moments on the same level in sports history.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #726
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1127759122072518656
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #727
jayswin

Exp:

^^^^^^

That is absolutely amazing! It really does add to it, lol.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #728
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Those are big moments for Flames fans, but comparing this to those moments massively undersells what that shot is. There are lots of big goals that mean a lot to a particular local fanbase.

This isn't that. This is literally the only time in a game 7 someone has hit a buzzer beater, much less one that bounced four times off the rim. The Raptors' history and context form a part of it, but it transcends the Raptors. "Matteau Matteau Matteau" is a better comparison, or Lemaire to Lafleur, or "Off the Floor, On the Board", or the Yzerman goal. It's that big a moment.
In the context of the NBA in general you’re overselling how big a win it is. The Raptors would have to do something with this now, or else it’s not exactly going down as historic. Yeah there has only been one game 7 buzzer beater, but that’s more of a quirk of the clock. And the game was tied.

I don’t know why people can’t just enjoy it without worrying about how other people are going to view it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #729
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1128005675097972747
Old 05-14-2019, 01:08 PM   #730
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shifting away from the Raps to tanking, tonight is probably the most anticipated draft lottery since LeBron. Zion is an immense talent, but it'll be interesting to see if he's used as trade bait for another star depending on who wins (namely the Knicks).
Old 05-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #731
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Shifting away from the Raps to tanking, tonight is probably the most anticipated draft lottery since LeBron. Zion is an immense talent, but it'll be interesting to see if he's used as trade bait for another star depending on who wins (namely the Knicks).
This isn’t a statement to question you, but is Zion really the next great one? To me, he seems like Shaq lite but I don’t think I’ve seen him as dominant or mobile as Shaq was in his prime. I’m positive I’m wrong because I haven’t seen him for prolonged stretches but if it were him or Anthony Davis, I’d take Davis without a second thought.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:29 PM   #732
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Barkley comparisons are the most valid, he's undersized but super athletic and obviously he's a big boy too in terms of how bulky he is. I like the prime Larry Johnson (i.e. when he was on the Hornets) comparisons too. But if he can develop that jumper then he can definitely be closer to somebody like LeBron.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #733
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the Barkley comparisons are the most valid, he's undersized but super athletic and obviously he's a big boy too in terms of how bulky he is. I like the prime Larry Johnson (i.e. when he was on the Hornets) comparisons too. But if he can develop that jumper then he can definitely be closer to somebody like LeBron.
So far the remaining four in this draft have a need for the pick. Interesting how the lakers moved up. Hmm. I’m guessing

1) New York
2) Lakers
3) Memphis
4) Pelicans

Edit: Knicks lose! Lol. Great that they missed out on the big two.

Last edited by bluejays; 05-14-2019 at 06:52 PM.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #734
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i think larry johnson is a good comparable... i can't recall Barkley being quite as athletic.

should be interesting... i think he's a great player, but being great in the NBA requires a lot of growth in his game; as athletic as he is, i don't think he's going to have open lanes to the rim anymore.

Morant should be interesting... a lot of small school guys become stars in the NBA... Curry, Kawhi, Lillard are all small school guys...

Pelicans get Zion... the NBA marketing guys are sad that LA and NY missed out
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:55 PM   #735
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the NBA is thrilled with the lottery results, AD to the Lakers is now guaranteed since the Pelicans get Zion to replace him and the Lakers will be able to use the #4 pick as an asset. Subtle rigging by the league.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #736
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the NBA is thrilled with the lottery results, AD to the Lakers is now guaranteed since the Pelicans get Zion to replace him and the Lakers will be able to use the #4 pick as an asset. Subtle rigging by the league.
Yeah. I'm sure the league wants Zion in the worst market in the league. C'mon dude. Theres no rigging.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #737
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

NBA doesn't give a #### about the Knicks. Lakers getting AD is their dream and that's gonna happen now.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #738
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
NBA doesn't give a #### about the Knicks. Lakers getting AD is their dream and that's gonna happen now.
The NBA doesn't care about its single largest market?

OK then.

That has some serious conspiracy stuff in it.

Not as much as this one though.

"Kawhi's shot is part of a conspiracy"

https://twitter.com/user/status/1128696125332922368
Old 05-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #739
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nah, Dolan is a horrible owner and they have no interest in helping him and would prefer he sell. The Lakers becoming the Clippers (Sterling era) though is bad for the league.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #740
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I personally think the first photo is better than the Sun one. The first one has a contrast (away team player waiting vs home team players waiting) and an almost artsy, eerie look to it.

The first one truly captured everything in the moment.
Top provides insight to people who watched the game. Because bottom includes the ball and the rim, it's got more context, though, for those who didn't.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote