Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #81
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

And I think you’re just talking the standings

What’s the point and regurgitating the standings in a similar list?

It’s no secret the Toronto gives up way too many scoring chances

They score their way out of it and have goaltending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #82
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

However I will give you Carolina. Read something this year where someone watching the details of their games suggested there passing up dangerous scoring opportunities to ensure they get shots on goal

Old 12-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #83
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
And I think you’re just talking the standings

What’s the point and regurgitating the standings in a similar list?

It’s no secret the Toronto gives up way too many scoring chances

They score their way out of it and have goaltending

Not at all. I want stats that can give me more, or better, or different information than the standings do, to better illustrate who has been good (in this case).

But those stats do not correlate with who has been good. THey don't tell us anything.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #84
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding Toronto, there have been times that goaltending has covered up bad D to be sure. Lots of times in fact.

But the Leafs have been good nonetheless. If you can score more goals than you give up every night, you're doing something right. and it hasn't been ALL goaltending.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #85
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

First off I’m certainly not arguing for 100% correlation of anything

Every year there’s always teams that have terrible underlying numbers but win And the complete opposite

The Canucks were winning constantly with terrible underlying numbers and it caught up with him as expected. Toronto has so much skill they probably don’t need to worry about that. But I would suggest Buffalo might.

Overall I see six or seven teams in the top 10 for stats that are actually very good hockey teams

So we can certainly argue about teen A versus team B etc. But I think the overall list is fine as it is

Old 12-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #86
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on, no one is arguing for 100% correlation.

But that isn't a list of 7 or 8 solid teams with a couple outliers. It is completely random with respect to which have been the best teams so far this year.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #87
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll give you a stat that tells me who's been playing well... goal differential.

Top 4 (+22 - +28):
TOR
TB
COL
NAS

Next 3 (+13 - + 14):
CAL
WAS
WPG

Next 4 (+7 - +9):
CBJ
BUF
BOS
MIN

To me, that list pretty much nails the top 11 teams so far.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #88
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I’d argue that goal differential generally meet standings as a result so it wouldn’t tell you anything new

Old 12-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #89
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I'll give you a stat that tells me who's been playing well... goal differential.

Top 4 (+22 - +28):
TOR
TB
COL
NAS

Next 3 (+13 - + 14):
CAL
WAS
WPG

Next 4 (+7 - +9):
CBJ
BUF
BOS
MIN

To me, that list pretty much nails the top 11 teams so far.
100% agreed. Goal differential almost always tells an accurate story.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #90
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I’d argue that goal differential generally meet standings as a result so it wouldn’t tell you anything new

It correlates strongly, because they are both good indicators. But when they disagree, that's when you get more information (which is precisely the point of the exercise IMO).

I'll take the top 10 by goal differential, and bet against your top 10 from that stats list - total points for the rest of the season for $100
Old 12-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #91
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

But here's the thing .. it's not my top ten. Never suggested it was the best list or a better list than the standings.

It's a simple mathematical average of two averages; one for things they create, two for things they give up.

The whole point of the list was to provide what underlying numbers would say is the top teams in the league vs the teams that are there for how they've done in the standings. The idea is to have them different or what's the point? The differences are either telling of teams that have been somewhat fortunate, teams that have been somewhat unfortunate, or telling of nothing at all in some cases.

When I first posted this ... this is all I said ...

Quote:
Teams in the standings vs their underlying numbers ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #92
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course it's not your top 10. But you presented it as 'their underlying numbers', and used it as a data set that suggests who is better or worse than their record.

But it's a really weak data set (for that purpose).
Old 12-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #93
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, way too early. A few teams have separated themselves from the pack, but there are still a lot that "could" contend - the Flames being one of those many.

Like others mentioned, if goaltending can come together, that will be the difference between being a bubble team/first round fodder, or being a team that can catch lightning in the playoffs.

The Flames are a mystery box at this point IMO.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:33 PM   #94
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think Buffalo is at least in the second grouping.
At least? They had a 10 game winning streak with three regulation wins.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:35 PM   #95
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think many were picking the Caps at this time last season...they were also a crossbar away from going down 3-0 in the first round.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #96
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I don't think many were picking the Caps at this time last season...they were also a crossbar away from going down 3-0 in the first round.
The margin between winning and losing in this league is really small.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #97
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Of course it's not your top 10. But you presented it as 'their underlying numbers', and used it as a data set that suggests who is better or worse than their record.

But it's a really weak data set (for that purpose).
I'd be a lot more comfortable if you used "in my opinion" a little more often.

If you're looking at goal differentials you won't be happy with many lists that don't mirror the standings to a large degree.

I think the Devils and Flyers are interesting teams. I think the Wild have been great this season. I like the Flames (watch them closely), and think the Bolts and Vegas have been solid.

Carolina is the team at the bottom for me in this group because they may just be the team playing for underlying stats and therefore somewhat of an odd case.

The Flames had a good record before those ugly three games but I didn't like the way they were playing. Their CF% was great, but they were bleeding chances and because of that my focus was on the team tightening up. They've done that and the results we've seen are not a surprise.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #98
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet I use IMO more than any other poster on this site.

I don't know why you're getting defensive. I - and most people, I am sure - very much appreciate you digging up stats and presenting them.

But once they are up, they are grounds for discussion (which is, I believe, the point).

And IMO, these ones didn't do a good job of what they were trying to do. Or should I say were presented to do? But even if I am right, that's okay, because you still accomplished the goal of discussion.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #99
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I bet I use IMO more than any other poster on this site.

I don't know why you're getting defensive. I - and most people, I am sure - very much appreciate you digging up stats and presenting them.

But once they are up, they are grounds for discussion (which is, I believe, the point).

And IMO, these ones didn't do a good job of what they were trying to do. Or should I say were presented to do? But even if I am right, that's okay, because you still accomplished the goal of discussion.
Dude I had a giant smiley face after the in my opinion comment ... not trying to be defensive at all.

I think it's a good list because it's a lot more detailed then just rating teams by CF%, which is what most sites do.

I think it's a good list because it averages the generation stats into one number (eliminating an over emphasis on one number), and the prevention stats into one number (avoiding over emphasis again).

Add in the fact that it's all brought together and the numbers are counted by independent sources it is exactly what is was reported to be ... a list of who's playing well based on underlying numbers.

That vs the standings is interesting.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #100
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

The difficulty about averaging stats is that not all stats deserve to be weighted equally. So how do you weight them, and for that matter, how do you get rid of redundant information due to dependent variables?

At that point you're into hocus-pocus modelling, in which sheer opinion is hidden under a veneer of applied math. It's been said that with seven variables, you can make any data set fit any curve you choose if you fiddle enough with the coefficients.