Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #241
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Being top of the conference isn't a great indicator of who will play for the cup. In the past decade, only 2 teams have managed to play in the cup final after finishing the regular season first in their conference (2011 Canucks and 2013 Blackhawks). I think the way the Flames are playing in March will be the best indicator of how they might fare in the playoffs
Last year three of the top four teams in the NHL played in the Conference Finals. Three of the highest-scoring teams also played in the Conference Finals. The Flames are on track to be among the top-four teams by both metrics this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #242
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Both Jets games unless my memory is hazy we came out strong potted some goals and then Winnipeg woke up and started out-shooting us and dominating possession. I would still be concerned about them especially if they get the lead first for once in the playoffs.
The Flames own the Winnipeg Jets. They have lost only three of their last 13 games against Winnipeg in regulation, and one of the those was the final game of the 2014–15 season when both teams had nothing to play for.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #243
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flames have had the Preds and Jets numbers for a couple years running which bodes very well for them if they get out of their divisional matchups and strangely enough, I think that's where the bigger test lies - in getting past SJ, ANA, VGK. We haven't fared well in any of those teams buildings.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #244
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Flames have had the Preds and Jets numbers for a couple years running which bodes very well for them if they get out of their divisional matchups and strangely enough, I think that's where the bigger test lies - in getting past SJ, ANA, VGK. We haven't fared well in any of those teams buildings.
Prior to last season the Flames actually had a respectable record playing in SJ.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2019, 07:52 PM   #245
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Random neat thought; of our rookies.

Points Who?
5 Dube
4 Andersson
3 Kylington
2 Valimaki
1 Mangiapane
0 Lomberg
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #246
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I’ve held off weighing in on this because every time I get excited with this franchise I get let down.

Let that sink in for a moment. And I hope that Flames owners or management or players read that statement and let it resonate- but don’t stop reading. Keep reading this post.

It has been, in my lifetime (but for 2004, obviously, a series of constant disappointments in being a Flames fan.

This isn’t so much a Flames thing as it is a human behaviour thing or pro sports / basic understanding of egoism thing. But the truth is, in my experience and in my following of this franchise, that the better they do the more complacent they are. They get good/ they get complacent- they get ####ty. This is the ever true cycle of good teams. We start to believe in ourselves (hot streak), this we stop skating, then lose.

BUT! The great but.

THIS TEAM, seems like the one that has both skill, hard work AND will never give up.

It is the perfect combination of these things which make me TRULY believe, yeah, this group has it. This group can win the Stanley Cup but only if they a) don’t stop working, b) continue to never give up and c) (AND MOST IMPORTANTLY) believe in themselves and each other

They have the recipe this year. They can do it.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #247
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

The best part about this year is that Peters got off to the right start as coach, and should command respect for years to come. Finally a competent coach and GM at the same time.
After a year like this it will be reasonable for Treliving to talk about winning culture and buying in to the team when talking contracts. Peters will be able to say to players that he takes them far if they listen to him. Not that they already don't do that, but establishing an actual track record is good.

All that we need now is a nice long stretch of good drafting and developing, and the Flames could be one of those perennial winners. Not necessarily winning Cups, but at least being an entertaining, winning team, that always has a chance instead of merely a hope.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:20 PM   #248
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The Flames own the Winnipeg Jets. They have lost only three of their last 13 games against Winnipeg in regulation, and one of the those was the final game of the 2014–15 season when both teams had nothing to play for.
Playoffs are a whole different animal we aren't going to catch them napping and pot 2 early soft goals every game in a series with them. I would still respect them and not take them lightly it is a good squad.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 06:23 AM   #249
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before calling them contenders I would still like to see a better backup solution. They are very close, but a deal for a Rob Rammage and Rick Wamsley would go a very long way to making me feel comfortable about them going deep in the playoffs. Getting Stone back may address one component of that deal, but the goaltending issue is still concerning.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:39 AM   #250
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goaltending is such a crapshoot most of the time. Look at Nashville last year for example. They had the Vezina winning goalie between the pipes but the biggest reason they bowed out in round 2 was because he went cold in the playoffs. Yet the year before when they went to the finals he probably would have won the Conn Smythe had they defeated Pittsburgh and won the Cup.

You can have the best goalie in the world but if hes off his game a bit you're screwed, and you can have a relative unknown or inexperienced goalie and if he's on his game he can steal wins for you.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 01-16-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #251
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can’t help but think it would’ve been great to have Iggy sign for one year with the Flames this season. Even as a 3-4th line winger and on the 2nd unit PP.
I know that Burke has said that there was no interest from the Iggy party, but maybe things have changed? Of course, Iggy would be nowhere near game shape now, but one can dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #252
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
I can’t help but think it would’ve been great to have Iggy sign for one year with the Flames this season. Even as a 3-4th line winger and on the 2nd unit PP.
I know that Burke has said that there was no interest from the Iggy party, but maybe things have changed? Of course, Iggy would be nowhere near game shape now, but one can dream.

Iggy isn’t very good at hockey anymore, let it go.

The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 07:59 AM   #253
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Being top of the conference isn't a great indicator of who will play for the cup. In the past decade, only 2 teams have managed to play in the cup final after finishing the regular season first in their conference (2011 Canucks and 2013 Blackhawks). I think the way the Flames are playing in March will be the best indicator of how they might fare in the playoffs
I was checking the remaining schedule and February is the tough part:

At Washington and Carolina;
Back home to play Sharks;
Then to Vancouver, Tampa, FLA and Pittsburgh;
Then home for Coyotes, Islanders and Ducks;
Then to Ottawa and Islanders/Jersey back to back.
Then home.

13 games in 27 days.
9 on the road;
4 at home.
Fly across the continent SIX times.
37,943 kms. of air travel.
(Edit: A second site calculates it as just over 23,000 kms., but still...).

As a comparison, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and the Rangers fly a total of approximately 51,600 all season, while Philly, Washington, Toronto, Devils, Islanders and Jackets fly about 54,000-56,000 each, all season.
Crazy.

If we get through February with an at or slightly over .500 record, I will be quite content.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #254
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
I was checking the remaining schedule and February is the tough part:

At Washington and Carolina;
Back home to play Sharks;
Then to Vancouver, Tampa, FLA and Pittsburgh;
Then home for Coyotes, Islanders and Ducks;
Then to Ottawa and Islanders/Jersey back to back.
Then home.

13 games in 27 days.
9 on the road;
4 at home.
Fly across the continent SIX times.
37,943 kms. of air travel.
(Edit: A second site calculates it as just over 23,000 kms., but still...).

As a comparison, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and the Rangers fly a total of approximately 51,600 all season, while Philly, Washington, Toronto, Devils, Islanders and Jackets fly about 54,000-56,000 each, all season.
Crazy.

If we get through February with an at or slightly over .500 record, I will be quite content.
Yeah, I had noticed that as well. Maybe the craziest 2 weeks of scheduling I've ever seen.

Some of the eastern teams only cross the continent 6 times for the season.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #255
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best thing about this season is that the team will go into the playoffs understanding how and expecting to be a winner. I've always hated the "just get in and see what happens" mantra. To me that always meant you didn't assemble a very good team and execute your game well enough over the long haul to be confident in your status as a true contender. This year's Flames have the talent, and they have the winning mentality. They truly never seem satisfied without coming away with the W, even when they don't play their best. This team is poised to go far in the playoffs.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #256
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I think "cautiously optimistic" is as far as my hype will go for the playoffs. The Flames have disappointed me so many times in the post season I feel like an abused pet going to a new home. I really hope this group is the one to get it done, but my guard is staying up
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #257
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I feel the same way. I would feel good about the Flames chances against the Jets or Predators but if they open up against the Sharks, Ducks, or even the Oilers I wouldn't feel good at all about their chances as they just haven't matched up well in the division for a few seasons now.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #258
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like their chances, as they've shown the ability to play any way they need to to win.

We need a way to get Rittich games off, and we need to set him up the best way possible to have what it takes in the playoffs. He's shown that he has the talent and mental makeup to handle starting duty, which I think surprised a lot of us to see so quickly after last year. So, I have a lot of confidence he's not done establishing himself. But it doesn't happen if we run him ragged to get there.

I also worry about how the Flames can stand up to a bigger team in the playoffs. They've stood up well in the regular season, and Johnny has played much more elusive since getting knocked a few times to start the season. But there are a lot more liberties taken and allowed in the playoffs and the Flames have a lot to lose if they allow a game to get away from them. A player like Ferland would be all it would take to solve that, however. Someone that can contribute to your top 9 (at least), but plays enough of a heavy game that the Flames can push back before the game gets out of hand.

Though he should be a part of the solution... what I wouldn't give to trade Neal for Ferland right now.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #259
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Before calling them contenders I would still like to see a better backup solution. They are very close, but a deal for a Rob Rammage and Rick Wamsley would go a very long way to making me feel comfortable about them going deep in the playoffs. Getting Stone back may address one component of that deal, but the goaltending issue is still concerning.
You are correct that you need depth. Of course, in 1989 Walmsley got into one period in the POs, and let in 2 goals on 10 shots.

They sure needed Ramage though, when Suter went down.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #260
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I feel the same way. I would feel good about the Flames chances against the Jets or Predators but if they open up against the Sharks, Ducks, or even the Oilers I wouldn't feel good at all about their chances as they just haven't matched up well in the division for a few seasons now.
Out of those 4 teams, I think I'd much rather face SJ.

Edmonton seems to get into our heads, Ducks Nuff Said and Vegas is trouble for the flames so far.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote