Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-05-2015, 10:43 AM   #21
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The levelling questing, but that's it. All endgame questing is Apexis dailies. The levelling experience is like 10% of the game.

Basically what this game needs is a dungeon randomization system like Diablo has. I'm not sure if it's possible or not, but 5 man dungeon content is something I'd wish they focus more on. A new dungeon every month (or more) through an expansion would be great.

Last edited by nik-; 08-05-2015 at 10:47 AM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #22
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The levelling questing, but that's it. All endgame questing is Apexis dailies. The levelling experience is like 10% of the game.

Basically what this game needs is a dungeon randomization system like Diablo has. I'm not sure if it's possible or not, but 5 man dungeon content is something I'd wish they focus more on. A new dungeon every month (or more) through an expansion would be great.
That doesn't solve the issues either. Most players don't feel like it's worth the time to go through 5 mans when they know Raid Finder gear is better. Most will run them only a few times before not touching them anymore.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #23
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
It's pretty standard Blizzard practice. Their latest patch and raid came at the same time as the FF14 expansion. Major patches are often released at or around the same time as other game major releases.

Wrath of the Lich King was supposed to come out the same time as Warhammer Online, but Warhammer got rushed forward instead (according to rumour)
Also, it's Gamescon. Many big players are releasing new info as this is basically Europe's E3.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #24
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Blizzard loves to mess with peoples emotions, lol.

Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #25
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
That doesn't solve the issues either. Most players don't feel like it's worth the time to go through 5 mans when they know Raid Finder gear is better. Most will run them only a few times before not touching them anymore.
It doesn't solve the issue, no, but it helps. They need to bring back heroic 5 man currencies as well so there's a benefit to continuing to run the heroics. Valor and Justice Points greatly extended the life of heroics in the past. I'm not sure why they got rid of them.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #26
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I far preferred the 5 man dungeons. I was never into hard core raiding; my guild was never large enough. And I was never willing to commit to a hard and fast schedule to a raiding guild.

I enjoyed playing a couple nights a week then weekends. Get a group of 5 together and run through a handful of dungeons. Figure out which bosses had the gear I needed and look forward to taking them down. Dailies got to be a grind, although some of them were fun.

I understand why everything new caters to the end game (by and large). But when all the lower level stuff was altered to make it easier/faster to get to that end game content it really screwed the stuff I enjoyed doing the most.

There were dungeons I remember going into with a 5 person group and it would take coordination and teamwork to make it through, and even then there would be a few full wipes. The last time I was leveling a character, 3 of us (one who had never seen the content) at the bare minimum level were able to roll through those same dungeons.

As I say, I understand the vast majority of the subs are concentrating on end game content - Blizzard isn't going to earn a lot from new subs leveling up. But that was when I had the most fun - when even leveling an alt was challenging and fun.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #27
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I've always enjoyed the 5 man dungeons. I don't much care for the massive raids where one person screws up and 20 people wipe or however it goes. I prefer the smaller scale more tactical dungeon grind. I am probably in the minority though.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #28
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

This host gal annoys the hell out of me.

EDIT: Oh, the feed is live.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #29
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm Demon Hunter class eh?
Old 08-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #30
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

this guy talking right now is awful ... how are they having this guy try to get the crowd interested in this?

I wonder how Burning Legion this is really going to be, and if I can still keep my hopes for a Scarlet Crusade raid alive.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #31
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
this guy talking right now is awful ... how are they having this guy try to get the crowd interested in this?
Yeah, between him and the gal I couldn't stand it anymore. I just closed it and I'll catch up on the details later. Terrible presenters.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #32
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Class is up: Heh, elves only.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/class/demon-hunter

Forgoing heavy armor, Demon Hunters capitalize on speed, closing the distance quickly to sever enemies with one-handed weapons. However, Illidari must also use their agility defensively to ensure that battles end favorably.

Type Melee Damage Dealer, Tank
- Standard Bars Health, Energy
- Available Armor Cloth, Leather
- Available Weapons Daggers, Fist Weapons, One-Handed Axes, One-Handed Maces, One-Handed Swords
Old 08-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #33
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

So much stuff. Wrapping up all the major lore points.

Is this the last expansion? How the heck are they going to do every story justice in such a short time?

Looks reasonable, but I'm a bit wary.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #34
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hm...I get to be a Demon Hunter, and Illidan's back. Well...this will likely get me playing. I've always wanted to play a Demon Hunter.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #35
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cinematic trailer:

Announcement trailer:
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:21 AM   #36
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

New areas look nice. I'll definitely give this a shot when it comes out, but they certainly didn't generate a whole lot of excitement for this. Feels like a whole bunch of random Warcraft plot lines are now conveniently located on another group of random islands that were somehow hidden from our intrepid explorers. I'm especially not keen on having Illidan back again.

If we have to kill Jaina in this expansion, then I think I'll be done with Warcraft as a franchise for good.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:31 AM   #37
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't play Warcraft, but from what I heard, this sounds like they're beginning to wrap up the story and tie up loose ends.

If that happens, then do you guys see future addons just being raiding dungeons?

WOW is getting fairly old and is still the king of MMO's but you have to wonder if Blizzard will want to move on to something new that takes advantage of new game technology and engines.

Wonder what kind of end game event that they would have, when the game eventually shuts down, and what its replaced with?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:30 AM   #38
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't play Warcraft, but from what I heard, this sounds like they're beginning to wrap up the story and tie up loose ends.

If that happens, then do you guys see future addons just being raiding dungeons?

WOW is getting fairly old and is still the king of MMO's but you have to wonder if Blizzard will want to move on to something new that takes advantage of new game technology and engines.

Wonder what kind of end game event that they would have, when the game eventually shuts down, and what its replaced with?
If they were going to replace WoW, it would have been with Titan. Since that's been cancelled, the chances of that happening now are pretty much zero.

They've indicated with some of the things they talked about yesterday that they could still push out another expansion after this one, but you're starting to see themselves being very limited with their choices to take the game.

For example, if the Eye of Azshara is a simple 5 man dungeon, there's no way Azshara herself (one of the most powerful beings on Azeroth) would be a boss there. That's still a thread they could chase into a full expansion (and my personal favorite choice from a lore perspective. She's an interesting character!)

Another example is the planet Argus. They mention the Tomb of Sargeras here, but to take on Burning Legion on their home planet could make for a full expansion. They also have not tied up all the loose threads surrounding the Old Gods yet, so there's room for improvement there as well.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #39
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blizzard will likely continue to move away from large scale games like WoW. There won't be a replacement, there will be 5 smaller replacements in their portfolio.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #40
TheDragon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Blizzard will likely continue to move away from large scale games like WoW. There won't be a replacement, there will be 5 smaller replacements in their portfolio.
Pretty much this. They're making heaps of money on Hearthstone. I'm sure they're going to make a killing on Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch. Blizzard appears to be shifting their profit streams from huge MMOs with massive overhead to free, lightweight games with in-game purchases.
TheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote