Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #261
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Honestly think he has this season to show what he has with the Flames. If he has a dud of a season, he will be playing for someone else next season.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #262
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnner View Post
I hate this thread. Sam is 21 years old. A 23 year old Backlund put up a monstrous 4 goals and 7 asssists in 41 games. A 21 year old Backlund would have been traded for Brandon Sutter if this over reacting board had its way. Chillllll.....
I agree with you on the point of Bennett being 21 and patience being required, however I feel you missed an important piece of context with regard to Backlund:

A 23 year old Backlund put up a monstrous 4 goals and 7 asssists in 41 games while showcasing his skills as an elite shutdown centre.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #263
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sam Bennett was Connor McDavid's left winger for 8 years when they were growing up.

I'd like to see him play on the wing with Jankowski and if his play improves then it should be a permanent placement. Left wing depth be damned play the kid where he will succeed most
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #264
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It’s almost time to start questioning management on why they feel Sam Bennett needs to play center anymore. There’s no logic or reasoning anymore. We have Monahan locked up, Treliving says re-signing Backlund is a priority. If Jankowski looks ready to be a productive center in this league than why is this team still hung up on forcing him to play center.

It clearly isn’t working nor has it ever worked. They’re putting him and this team and Jankowski in a bad spot. There’s no reasoning anymore behind it. We’re not starved at center, we’ve got room for him at wing where he’s shown to be the most successful thus far in his career. Right now I’m not sure whether it’s just stubborness or pride from th higher ups, but it’s getting in the way and it has to change because wins are the most important thing in this league.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #265
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett's problem right now is confidence.

The combination of working on defensive positioning and struggling with the lack of discipline has him thinking too much. I have no doubt he can be a top six C, but right now he's fighting it.

So simplify things. He needs to have his plate cleared. Let him play wing and give him offensive zone starts. Tell him to just have fun for a while.

Plus, the switch opens the door for Jankowski to get top 9 minutes. Give him some games and see what he does with it.

There is plenty of time to create the top 6 C the team is hoping for.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #266
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
I agree with you on the point of Bennett being 21 and patience being required, however I feel you missed an important piece of context with regard to Backlund:

A 23 year old Backlund put up a monstrous 4 goals and 7 asssists in 41 games while showcasing his skills as an elite shutdown centre.
Bennett's actually doing pretty OK in this regard I feel. Gulutzan is not shy about giving tough minutes to Bennett. I think Calgary4Life mentioned it.

Gulutzan trusts Bennett more, even now during this icy stretch, than Hartley with Backlund. At first, anyway. I recall Backs playing chauffeur to face-punching enforcers a lot on the 4th line under Bob and even then . And while Bennett hasn't exactly had a wealth of stellar linemates, I'm pretty sure we haven't stapled him to grinders outside of Brouwer.

It may be a more difficult road for Sam, but the patience will wear off.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:16 PM   #267
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
It's more complicated than that. He actually started in junior on the wing. He was moved to centre in his draft year but early in his draft year scouts wanted him to use his linemates more, he had a tendency to do everything himself. In the NHL arguably one of his best stretches of offensive play came while he was on LW with Backlund and Frolik. So trying to say he's a natural centre is an oversimplification as he played both C and W in junior and the NHL.

From what I've observed he has a lot of attributes that would make him a good winger. Good puckhandling and 1 on 1 skills. Good speed driving down the wing. Tenacious board play. I've seen glimpses of playmaking but he doesn't strike me as a classic playmaking centre at other times. I'm sure he'd make a fine centre longterm but I tend to think Jankowski is more of a natural centre and out of all of our centres I think Bennett would make the best winger.
I agree. So why is Jankowski still in the NHL while our 3rd and 4th lines have produced no goals so far this season. Not good for development of either player in my opinion. Bennett has lost his confidence at this point. Janko, to his credit continues to dominate in the AHL but it's time to bring up to the next level in order for his game to continue growing. Not to mention that it's probable that bringing Janko up and moving Bennett to the wing will improve the Flames right now. If not now, then when? The bottom two lines aren't working and patience or not (& I think Bennett will be fine once things are changed up), I just don't think it's wise to keep Bennett in a position where he has had over a season of decline with a few spurts of strong play.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:46 PM   #268
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

The combination of working on defensive positioning and struggling with the lack of discipline has him thinking too much. I have no doubt he can be a top six C, but right now he's fighting it.

So simplify things. He needs to have his plate cleared. Let him play wing and give him offensive zone starts. Tell him to just have fun for a while.

Plus, the switch opens the door for Jankowski to get top 9 minutes. Give him some games and see what he does with it.

There is plenty of time to create the top 6 C the team is hoping for.
Couldn't agree more (even if he winds up being a high end winger rather than centre).
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #269
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Bennett’s problem is he’s not a good hockey player. Bennett displays little that makes you believe he could be a top six player, let alone become a third line center. This is a kid that should be in the minors. If it weren’t his draft status, he’d be in the minors learning to play his position.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:11 PM   #270
Point Blank
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Bennett’s problem is he’s not a good hockey player. Bennett displays little that makes you believe he could be a top six player, let alone become a third line center. This is a kid that should be in the minors. If it weren’t his draft status, he’d be in the minors learning to play his position.
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Oilers won't finish 14th in the West forever.

Eventually a couple of expansion teams will be added which will nestle the Oilers into 16th.
Point Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #271
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dead ####ing serious. I was looking for Bennett to step up and show he was capable of making Backlund expendable. Bennett has shown he isn’t capable of playing in the NHL so far this season. Zero points and 12 PIM in 7 games, and all of them for lazy stick fouls. He hasn’t earned his spot in the lineup beyond his draft position.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #272
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if a Galchenyuk/Bennett swap is something that might end up happening down the road.

Both high picks yet to pan out while having flashes of the offensive pedigree they were known for.

One is forced as a winger when deemed to not be a centre and the other is stuck as a centre when he's yet to show more than his time as a winger.

Last edited by Anduril; 10-21-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:49 PM   #273
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

It feels like Bennett really suffered by never getting to spend any time in the AHL. I think that would have really helped with his overall development.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 06:15 PM   #274
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
It’s almost time to start questioning management on why they feel Sam Bennett needs to play center anymore. There’s no logic or reasoning anymore.
The only reason I can think of is bargaining power in the Backlund negotiations. If the Flames could sit down at the table with Backlund's agent and hold the real possibility of another player ready to step in as the 2C it would give them some leverage. But that's looking like a pretty thin reed at this point.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #275
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not sure if Bennett is a bust and if playing him at C is a good idea long term or not. He seems kind of dumb for a C, but perhaps it's the lost development year and confidence issues.
What I am more sure of, and here I very much want to echo Green Lantern's thoughts, is that the team is "going for it", so sooner rather than later this "Bennett at C" thing is going to have to come to an end because it's costing us points in the standings. Given his level of production, if they are hell-bent on him at C, I think that needs to happen in Stockton... This is also the reason I can see a Bennett for Galchenyuk swap (if the cap hits can be made to work) - remember, our scouts ranked Gal #1 that draft and we know he for sure is able to produce at the NHL level... Anyhow, curious to see out sure eek what happens.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Last edited by VladtheImpaler; 10-21-2017 at 07:04 PM.
VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #276
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Very thin. That argument would help Backlund.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:45 PM   #277
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope sam gets the 1st 15 games at centre and the next 15 games on the wing. Then we may learn something either way.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #278
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Wonder if a Galchenyuk/Bennett swap is something that might end up happening down the road.

Both high picks yet to pan out while having flashes of the offensive pedigree they were known for.

One is forced as a winger when deemed to not be a centre and the other is stuck as a centre when he's yet to show more than his time as a winger.
Rather keep Bennett
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 11:29 PM   #279
BruceCody
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Sam Bennett as a center or winger?
he's bust
BruceCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:38 PM   #280
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Bennett but I'm starting to lose patience

I'll also be extremely pissed if we trade him and then the new team just plays him at wing and he dominates.