Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Doesn't really make sense for the Canes. Duchene is 2 years from UFA and Hanifin is on track to be a top pairing d-man for the next decade plus.

If the Canes window had opened and Duchene was the last piece to making a run then maybe, but the Canes don't need to make that kind of a deal right now.
Hanifin isn't a guy you trade. He's a guy you build a D around.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #22
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the depth the Flames have on the blueline does Treliving consider Brodie for Duchene? I think that is where the conversation with Colorado begins.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #23
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
With the depth the Flames have on the blueline does Treliving consider Brodie for Duchene? I think that is where the conversation with Colorado begins.
Brings up the question where exactly would Duchene fit on the Flames roster and what is that really worth. Mony and Backs have 1st and 2nd line C locked, so would Duchene play 1st line RW -( is he really that big a step up from Ferland) or does he fit in the third line and do you trade Brodie for that?
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #24
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_McCool View Post
Flames have no more draft picks to give.
Would they consider a Brouwer?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #25
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Friedman: Flames maybe one of the teams interested in Duchene?

It's hard to believe the Flames could be in on Duchene or Kessel given the amount of assets they have spent on Smith, Stone, and Hamonic.

If there was a deal to be made you would have to think it would be centered around our D prospects. That's definitely a strength for us right now.

Maybe something around Fox/Valimaki/Kylington/Anderson and then Ferland or somebody? Maybe one of our goalie prospects as well.

Seems pretty out there but if Treliving could put something together where we don't lose any significant pieces it would really vault us into contender status.

Gaudreau Monahan Duchene
Tkachuk Bennett Ferland
Jankowski Backlund Frolik
Versteeg Stajan Brouwer

Foo/Hamilton/Poirer/Shinkaruk/Klimchuck/ Hathaway

Giordano Hamilton
Brodie Hamonic
Stone Kulak

Smith
Lack

Drool

Last edited by bax; 07-13-2017 at 11:01 AM.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #26
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It'd have to be Bennett. Brodie is great but if they're moving Duchene they'd be going full youth movement.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #27
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brouwer+Valimaki+1st 2018 for Matt Duchene... A steep price to pay but I think that is a solid start.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Duchene
Tkachuk-Bennett-Ferland
Versteeg-Backlund-Frolik
Stajan-Jankowski-Lazar
Hathaway

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone
Wotherspoon

Smith
Lack

Man, if that goaltending holds up, we would definitely be a contender. I know you never want to give up all of your picks but just look at how many guys on that roster are under 25.

Last edited by keenan87; 07-13-2017 at 11:03 AM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #28
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Brouwer+Valimaki+1st 2018 for Matt Duchene... A steep price to pay but I think that is a solid start.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Duchene
Tkachuk-Bennett-Ferland
Versteeg-Backlund-Frolik
Stajan-Jankowski-Lazar
Hathaway
Sakic could have had two first round picks and two second round picks if he had worked on a 3-way deal with the Isles and Flames. He appears to be of the belief that Duchesne is worth more than that. Good luck to him.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #29
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The Islanders offered Hamonic + 1st rd pick + prospect didn't they? If Sakic turned that down, why would he accept something like this? It would have to be Bennett + 1st rd pick + a D prospect or something along those lines I would think (which is too much in my eyes). Nobody is going to want Brouwer until he is in the final year of his contract.
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #30
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
It'd have to be Bennett. Brodie is great but if they're moving Duchene they'd be going full youth movement.
I can't see how we would want to keep Bennett with Monahan and Duchene on our team.

My guess is it would have to be:

Bennett + Kylington (or similar higher end d-prospect) + other asset.

Personally, I don't like the deal. Duchene is already 26 and in the new NHL many players start to decline in their late 20s. Duchene has unfortunately wasted several of his prime years on an abysmally managed team. I'm not sure he's going to bring a winning attitude to the Flames, who assuming they acquired Duchene, would need to start competing immediately.

There's also too many questions around our goaltending to start competing now.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #31
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like Elliot is just spitballing here. I wouldn't take this as a 'rumour' at all.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #32
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Brouwer+Valimaki+1st 2018 for Matt Duchene... A steep price to pay but I think that is a solid
We already traded the 2018 1st for Hamonic
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #33
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dutchy is my favorite not Flame. I'd love this cause he cab definitely play right wing too.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #34
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Duchene
Tkachuk-Bennett-Ferland
Versteeg-Backlund-Frolik
Stajan-Jankowski-Lazar
Hathaway

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone
Wotherspoon

Smith
Lack

Man, if that goaltending holds up, we would definitely be a contender. I know you never want to give up all of your picks but just look at how many guys on that roster are under 25.
2018 1st is property of the New York Islanders. We can't give up the 2019 as well. Also Duchene appears to be a 2 year rental with all the pieces that need to be re-signed in the next few years.

Going to throw out a proposal and see what people think.

The Hamilton brothers and Brouwer
For
Duchene and Barrie

The Flames give the best player in the deal up in Hamilton but still remain strong on the right side with Hamonic, Stone and Barrie. They add Duchene to play with Monahan and Gaudreau and hope he bounces back. The Avs take Brouwer for cap purposes (NTC is likely an issue). Might be far too risky to trade Dougie considering he keeps getting better every season
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #35
Iniggywetrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Seems like Elliot is just spitballing here. I wouldn't take this as a 'rumour' at all.

Yup, seems like Canadian click bait as none of those other teams are Canadian. Needs to throw Calgary is to drum up interest.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #36
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

From the same article, Friedman says these are the type of players they are targeting:

Quote:
7. There’s been criticism of the way Colorado’s handled this. I do think everyone — including Duchene — would benefit from a fresh start, but the Avalanche need this deal. The Ryan O’Reilly trade didn’t work, and you can’t move two of those talents without getting some kind of win. They are looking for young players with term, and I think the guys they’ve targeted include Mathew Barzal and Ilya Sorokin from the Islanders; Brandon Carlo or Charlie McEvoy from the Bruins; Mattias Ekholm from the Predators. (Before someone from Barstool comes at me, I don’t think the McEvoy conversation was a long one.)
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #37
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I can't see how we would want to keep Bennett with Monahan and Duchene on our team.

My guess is it would have to be:

Bennett + Kylington (or similar higher end d-prospect) + other asset.

Personally, I don't like the deal. Duchene is already 26 and in the new NHL many players start to decline in their late 20s. Duchene has unfortunately wasted several of his prime years on an abysmally managed team. I'm not sure he's going to bring a winning attitude to the Flames, who assuming they acquired Duchene, would need to start competing immediately.

There's also too many questions around our goaltending to start competing now.
My only explanation would be Jankowski's development is 'found money' to the Flames current front office. Like fans, he's not an asset they necessarily banked on, and was a long term project. His first pro season was fantastic, and even to the debate in the Bennett vs. Jankowsi thread, there's an argument to be made that he'd be ready for full time NHL duty now in a similar role to Bennett.

Not saying I agree with that sentiment, but if you did move Bennett + for Duchene, you'd feasibly be looking at similar immediate impact and potential plugging Jankowski into his spot.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #38
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
From the same article, Friedman says these are the type of players they are targeting:
So, likely Tkachuk from the Flames.

Nope.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #39
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
2018 1st is property of the New York Islanders. We can't give up the 2019 as well. Also Duchene appears to be a 2 year rental with all the pieces that need to be re-signed in the next few years.

Going to throw out a proposal and see what people think.

The Hamilton brothers and Brouwer
For
Duchene and Barrie

The Flames give the best player in the deal up in Hamilton but still remain strong on the right side with Hamonic, Stone and Barrie. They add Duchene to play with Monahan and Gaudreau and hope he bounces back. The Avs take Brouwer for cap purposes (NTC is likely an issue). Might be far too risky to trade Dougie considering he keeps getting better every season
Absolutely not.

Any deal that sees us moving Dougie is a huge step backwards. Just no...Giordano won't be around forever and Dougie is the future of our defence.

Barrie is a tire fire in his own end. He's also very undersized. He's a d-man on the level of Kris Russell and adds very little to the value of the deal.

If we make this deal, a declining Duchene walks away in 2 years. We trade away our future #1 d-man.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #40
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I expect that is also where any conversation would end. Brad Treliving did not just spend the time and energy exhausted over the past two years to build one of the best looking defence cores in the NHL that is cost-controlled for three years in order to start dismantling it tomorrow.

I would be shocked if the Flames were able to trade for Duchene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: