Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2020, 11:45 PM   #61
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I suppose I view this like 9/11, for millenia flu's in particular and plagues in general have arisen from human contact with animals so there is absolutely nothing unusual about the idea another one would come along in exactly the same way from a location with a long history of being the source of infections.

Now that in its own isn't proof that it wasn't the fault of some secret lab of the Chinese anymore than there are possible if fantastic explanations for 9/11 that make it all the fault of the CIA or Israel or the NWO but there is no logic proof or scientific basis for anything other than its just another flu like infection from an area with a long history of flu like virus's.
As a bio weapon it is rubbish, it is not particularly deadly by bio weapon standards, the fact there is a lab in an area with a long history of 'birthing' corona virus's that studies corona virus's seems to be little more than common sense by who ever decides where labs go, if you want to study ebola you put a lab in central Africa, northern china is pretty much where you would put a lab to study corona as far as I understand.

proposing this on the basis of 'there's a lab there and the Chinese Government are a bunch of ######s' is little better than most of the 9/11 hypothesis and shouldn't be given credibility at all unless some actual evidence surfaces
Sure drag Israel into it.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:46 PM   #62
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could still happen, but if doctors in China came out at the outset with videos about the true impacts of the virus, someone would have already leaked that this virus was created in a lab purposefully to be unleashed on their own people.

Some people tend to believe in conspiracy theories, that'll never change. 9/11, secret facilities in the Dallas airport, etc.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:53 PM   #63
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiteface View Post
theres more than the eye sees
possibly but all things being equal it is usually the same thing that happens every 10 or 20 years out of the region that has killed millions over the course of history, I aint saying anyone should deny the possibility that its a government plot or aliens from the lizard planet or reverse vampires but 40 or 50 years ago we didn't entertain those kind of possibilities unless we found 'made on the Lizard Planet by the Reverse Vampires' stamped on the virus, when did we become so stupid?

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:56 PM   #64
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Sure drag Israel into it.
Sorry, but one of the things that never change with wack job conspiracy nut bars is they also tend to be racist, particularly anti semite, although now we all own Chinese made TV's being anti Chinese seems to be in vogue as well
Old 04-13-2020, 11:58 PM   #65
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was being facetious, I get it.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:16 AM   #66
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Was being facetious, I get it.
sorry, I am painfully aware some posters are very sensitive about Israel, understandably so if they are (I assume) Jewish.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:30 AM   #67
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
sorry, I am painfully aware some posters are very sensitive about Israel, understandably so if they are (I assume) Jewish.
It’s ok. Appreciate it. I happen to be somewhat sensitive on the subject, and facetious lol.

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 04-14-2020 at 12:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2020, 12:55 AM   #68
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
I suppose I view this like 9/11, for millenia flu's in particular and plagues in general have arisen from human contact with animals so there is absolutely nothing unusual about the idea another one would come along in exactly the same way from a location with a long history of being the source of infections.

Now that in its own isn't proof that it wasn't the fault of some secret lab of the Chinese anymore than there are possible if fantastic explanations for 9/11 that make it all the fault of the CIA or Israel or the NWO but there is no logic proof or scientific basis for anything other than its just another flu like infection from an area with a long history of flu like virus's.
As a bio weapon it is rubbish, it is not particularly deadly by bio weapon standards, the fact there is a lab in an area with a long history of 'birthing' corona virus's that studies corona virus's seems to be little more than common sense by who ever decides where labs go, if you want to study ebola you put a lab in central Africa, northern china is pretty much where you would put a lab to study corona as far as I understand.

proposing this on the basis of 'there's a lab there and the Chinese Government are a bunch of ######s' is little better than most of the 9/11 hypothesis and shouldn't be given credibility at all unless some actual evidence surfaces

No secret lab. Labs are doing work on such viruses, documented in publications

Suppose somehow it gets out, routine industrial accident, and the Chinese government is concerned about liability for carelessness causing a global pandemic

It doesn’t have to be a giant conspiracy theory, just routine carelessness and everyday CYA

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 04-14-2020 at 01:04 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:44 AM   #69
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
No secret lab. Labs are doing work on such viruses, documented in publications

Suppose somehow it gets out, routine industrial accident, and the Chinese government is concerned about liability for carelessness causing a global pandemic

It doesn’t have to be a giant conspiracy theory, just routine carelessness and everyday CYA
And I'm fine with that if there is some shred of evidence, doesn't even have to be much but something, I'm no defender of the CCP either but enough Chinese Canadians are having a hard enough time over this already without adding to reasons for wack jobs to hate them
Old 04-14-2020, 06:42 AM   #70
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can ya'll just drop the idea that his was manufactured? The real scientists have looked into that. It is not:

Quote:
The virus’s genetic makeup reveals that SARS-CoV-2 isn’t a mishmash of known viruses, as might be expected if it were human-made. And it has unusual features that have only recently been identified in scaly anteaters called pangolins, evidence that the virus came from nature, Kristian Andersen and his colleagues report March 17 in Nature Medicine...

...It was clear “almost overnight” that the virus wasn’t human-made, Andersen says. Anyone hoping to create a virus would need to work with already known viruses and engineer them to have desired properties.

But the SARS-CoV-2 virus has components that differ from those of previously known viruses, so they had to come from an unknown virus or viruses in nature. “Genetic data irrefutably show that SARS-CoV-2 is not derived from any previously used virus backbone,” Andersen and colleagues write in the study.

“This is not a virus somebody would have conceived of and cobbled together. It has too many distinct features, some of which are counterintuitive,” Garry says. “You wouldn’t do this if you were trying to make a more deadly virus.”
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...nalysis-nature

Ugh. Just read the whole thing if you need to be convinced. Then can we move on, please?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2020, 08:55 AM   #71
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Epic takedown of the zero people in this thread who argued it was man-made virus.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2020, 09:03 AM   #72
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Epic takedown of the zero people in this thread who argued it was man-made virus.
Yeah they ain't arguing it, they're "just asking questions".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #73
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this thing was man made, the country either employs Marty McFly, or they have their own DeLorean. But then, if that's the case, why wouldn't they just go the Sports Almanac route and kill every other country on the stock markets instead?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:25 AM   #74
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Doesn't have to be 'man made.' It could easily have originated from natural sources, and then been replicated in a lab.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2020, 10:43 AM   #75
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...coronaviruses/

"State department cables warned of safety issues at Wuhan Lab studying bat coronaviruses"

Quote:
Two years before the novel coronavirus pandemic upended the world, U.S. Embassy officials visited a Chinese research facility in the city of Wuhan several times and sent two official warnings back to Washington about inadequate safety at the lab, which was conducting risky studies on coronaviruses from bats. The cables have fueled discussions inside the U.S. government about whether this or another Wuhan lab was the source of the virus — even though conclusive proof has yet to emerge.
Quote:
What the U.S. officials learned during their visits concerned them so much that they dispatched two diplomatic cables categorized as Sensitive But Unclassified back to Washington. The cables warned about safety and management weaknesses at the WIV lab and proposed more attention and help. The first cable, which I obtained, also warns that the lab’s work on bat coronaviruses and their potential human transmission represented a risk of a new SARS-like pandemic.
And then this quote for the sizable amount of people still struggling somehow with this concept

Quote:
As many have pointed out, there is no evidence that the virus now plaguing the world was engineered; scientists largely agree it came from animals. But that is not the same as saying it didn’t come from the lab, which spent years testing bat coronaviruses in animals, said Xiao Qiang, a research scientist at the School of Information at the University of California at Berkeley.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #76
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Can ya'll just drop the idea that his was manufactured? The real scientists have looked into that. It is not:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...nalysis-nature

Ugh. Just read the whole thing if you need to be convinced. Then can we move on, please?
Can you at least acknowledge the possibility that it might have been man made, then infected into pangolins, then infected back into humans to cover Bill Gates tracks?
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2020, 10:49 AM   #77
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like how this thread went. I've learned a lot. Given the possibility that it was a lab manufactured virus, the question would be was it on purpose or just a goof. China certainly acts like it was one of those two things.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #78
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I really like how this thread went. I've learned a lot. Given the possibility that it was a lab manufactured virus, the question would be was it on purpose or just a goof. China certainly acts like it was one of those two things.

To me it sounds like it came from a pangolin naturally occurring.

And if that's the case, was it some poor farmer peasant who had nothing else to eat, or some rich hot shot who wanted to eat something exotic that first started this mess?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #79
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Can you at least acknowledge the possibility that it might have been man made, then infected into pangolins, then infected back into humans to cover Bill Gates tracks?
I...can not.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #80
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

You amateurs haven't even tied it to Pizzagate and Hillary Clinton yet.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote