Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2022, 09:43 AM   #4861
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

It isn't always about the $$$. Gio signed 2 years at 800K to play where he wanted to live and play.

Pretty sure the Flames would have given him 5M for 2 years.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:44 AM   #4862
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
It isn't always about the $$$. Gio signed 2 years at 800K to play where he wanted to live and play.

Pretty sure you are wrong about that
Old 07-01-2022, 09:50 AM   #4863
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman on the 32 thoughts podcast said he wouldn't be surprised if the Flames offer was in around 8 x $9.5 mil.

Says there is a lot of loyalty from Johnny to the Flames.

If the worst case scenario comes through one agent told Friedman he doesn't expect the Flames to make any panic moves to fill the hole left by Gaudreau.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-01-2022 at 09:52 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 09:53 AM   #4864
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Friedman on the 32 thoughts podcast said he wouldn't be surprised if the Flames offer was in around 8 x $9.5 mil.

Says there is a lot of loyalty from Johnny to the Flames.

If the worst case scenario comes through one agent told Friedman he doesn't expect the Flames to make any panic moves to fill the hole left by Gaudreau.
...maybe there would be a hard pivot to a rebuild?

But also, there's no filling that Gaudreau sized hole. It's unpossible.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:55 AM   #4865
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agents gonna squeeze them though. And no better tool squeeze more juice than competition .

After doing the math, the 8th year definitely helps keep him in CGY. 80 on years is 10m a season. 11.428 a year on 7 years @ 80m.

Teams can easily jump over the 76m over 7 years though. Easily.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:00 AM   #4866
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much of a threat is an offer sheet for Tkachuk? The big problem being that you can’t trade a player for a full calendar year if you match.

A team could effectively negotiate a 9 yr deal with him, with year 1 being a 1yr offer sheet, maybe at only 8.4 (1st 2nd 3rd).

If Flames match then they are walking him to UFA where he knows he has 1 very serious suitor. If they sign Gaudreau then it would be pretty difficult to match at all.

BOS or WAS or PIT stand out as all-in teams (not sure if there is any chance of Marchand or Backstrom returning for playoffs? STL loses Tarasenko’s money next year to better afford the higher 8 year AAV…maybe CAR (they sought a poor-man’s version in Domi).

I haven’t looked at who has the necessary picks…it’s a scary thought if it’s done by a very likely playoff team where the picks will be low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:06 AM   #4867
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
How much of a threat is an offer sheet for Tkachuk? The big problem being that you can’t trade a player for a full calendar year if you match.

A team could effectively negotiate a 9 yr deal with him, with year 1 being a 1yr offer sheet, maybe at only 8.4 (1st 2nd 3rd).

If Flames match then they are walking him to UFA where he knows he has 1 very serious suitor. If they sign Gaudreau then it would be pretty difficult to match at all.

BOS or WAS or PIT stand out as all-in teams (not sure if there is any chance of Marchand or Backstrom returning for playoffs? STL loses Tarasenko’s money next year to better afford the higher 8 year AAV…maybe CAR (they sought a poor-man’s version in Domi).

I haven’t looked at who has the necessary picks…it’s a scary thought if it’s done by a very likely playoff team where the picks will be low.

Teams just have never operated that way. And they’d be tampering if they had a discussion like you indicate. At best they’d offer the total term they think he wants. And Calgary would be smart to let him sign and take the compensation.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 10:06 AM   #4868
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

Not sure why Tkachuk takes a 1-year offer sheet at $8.4M when he's guaranteed to get at least a $9M QO, and likely more in arbitration. Calgary would simply match and Tkachuk is back where he started with a lesser salary.

Plus, the offering team is walking him to UFA.

I'm not sure what "effectively negotiate a 9-year deal" really means in this contenxt, it would be against the rules.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:15 AM   #4869
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do teams ever offer individual bonuses to players for team accomplishments, such as winning the cup?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:20 AM   #4870
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Do teams ever offer individual bonuses to players for team accomplishments, such as winning the cup?
They could, but Tkachuk and Gaudreau won't be eligible for performance bonuses.

The only players eligible for performance bonuses are:

- players on ELCs (but even then their eligible performance bonuses are specified by the CBA)
- players that are 35 years or older and sign a 1 year deal
- players that have at least 400 games played, missed at least 100 days on IR in the last year, and sign a 1 year deal.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 10:20 AM   #4871
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

$9.5 mil? thats pretty embarrassing considering what would happen if he doesn't return.

You had to be at least $10mil+ as a start!
Old 07-01-2022, 10:23 AM   #4872
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

LOL! are you a real person?
Old 07-01-2022, 10:29 AM   #4873
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
pretty sure you said that last summer
It's really a shame we have to read his crap on the Flames board. He is such a treat over in the off topic side.... lol
Old 07-01-2022, 10:39 AM   #4874
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What is being implied is the flames have an offer and the Gaudreau camp has not countered and is sitting on the offer. Soon enough the Flames will have to up their offer. Treliving said yesterday they will take this right up to the 13th if they have to but I really wonder what happens if they can’t get Johnny and Chucky signed? Some of the insiders have been mentioning they think the flames want an answer one way or the other sooner than that so they have time to pivot if need be.

Yes, that is what I was implying also. If JG wants to stay the next move is a counter offer. 9.5M is not insulting, and given it’s the opening offer it’s pretty easy to assume that their max number would be a good deal higher. The only reason not to counter is because JG hasn’t yet decided if he wants to stay. The Flames don’t need to up their offer if the Gaudreau camp is silent.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:43 AM   #4875
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If 8 x $9.5 was the offer I can see why Gaudreau hasn’t signed. Another team will be able to exceed that with a 7 year offer.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:51 AM   #4876
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of angst and anger over something that appears to be pure guesswork on Freidman’s part.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 10:54 AM   #4877
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If its at 8x9.5 then maybe some room to negotiate and the best offer isn't on the table. 9.5 is maybe a little to good of a deal for Johnny.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:55 AM   #4878
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
$9.5 mil? thats pretty embarrassing considering what would happen if he doesn't return.

You had to be at least $10mil+ as a start!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If 8 x $9.5 was the offer I can see why Gaudreau hasn’t signed. Another team will be able to exceed that with a 7 year offer.
You don't start negotiations with your best offer. If a team offers a player a contract and they accept without any back and forth then that team overpaid.

You offer low, the player asks high, you find the common ground. You even make the other side sweat by not responding right away..Which is what we're seeing right now. The Flames are willing to pay high. Johnny knows this, everyone knows this. So Johnny is waiting before responding. Make the Flames flinch and get more money or whatever else he wants to get.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 11:01 AM   #4879
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
You don't start negotiations with your best offer. If a team offers a player a contract and they accept without any back and forth then that team overpaid.

You offer low, the player asks high, you find the common ground. You even make the other side sweat by not responding right away..Which is what we're seeing right now. The Flames are willing to pay high. Johnny knows this, everyone knows this. So Johnny is waiting before responding. Make the Flames flinch and get more money or whatever else he wants to get.
You would think that they are past the starting point. The Flames got to have close to their best offer on the table now.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 11:03 AM   #4880
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
You would think that they are past the starting point. The Flames got to have close to their best offer on the table now.
Unless they are waiting on a counter. Do you negotiate against yourself much?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win