Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2024, 12:12 PM   #401
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
If it was that certain he was a 900 point player he would be ranked way higher.
Your premise starts with a very strong assumption.
No question.

But I watch the kid, and he moves like his dad out there.

He’s been trained by his dad, one of the greatest players ever, since he could hold a mini stick.

Jarome has been doing nothing since he retired but coach his kids. It’s why he stayed in Boston.

I look at Matt Tkachuk and Brady, and I look at Tij at the same age, and I think Tij is better than either.

The draft is a gamble in any direction - if we’re not gonna pick first, or second, or third, I’m gambling on the kid who has spent the last 17 years learning at the feet of Jarome Iginla.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 12:14 PM   #402
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Calgary will draft Iginla if he’s available unless there’s a glaringly superior player staring them in the face.

But, as I have been saying for several months - Tij looks like a slimmer, faster version of his old man.

His old man was a 1300 point player.

If Tij is even 70 percent as productive as Jarome, that’s still a 900 point career.

How many 900 point players do we think are in this supposedly weak draft?

How many guys are scoring 50 in the Dub at age 17?

I dunno. This is a decision that’s easily overthought, and I don’t believe they will.
Personally I think he will thrive under pressure, they will let him play and they will get him good teammates and create the situations that work best for him. Because of his dad I think his expectations and are goals are going to be very high, just like his dad.

I think he's going to be a natural leader on the team. I think he would be very disappointed if he wasn't drafted because someone thought thought he couldn't handle the pressure.

Iggy's really smart and I think that he'll give his son the room to grow in his own way. But we've already seen Iggy giving tips to our you players about how to shoot in certain lanes. I think his son's going to have a head start over a lot of players just like Matt Tkachuk because he has been around the NHL as a kid. He probably meets NHL players all the time. I bet you he's been to Crosby's house. I don't think he's going to have a problem with pressure.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 03-28-2024 at 12:17 PM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:32 PM   #403
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No question.

He’s been trained by his dad, one of the greatest players ever, since he could hold a mini stick.

Jarome has been doing nothing since he retired but coach his kids. It’s why he stayed in Boston.

I look at Matt Tkachuk and Brady, and I look at Tij at the same age, and I think Tij is better than either.

The draft is a gamble in any direction - if we’re not gonna pick first, or second, or third, I’m gambling on the kid who has spent the last 17 years learning at the feet of Jarome Iginla.
You may end up being right, but if that was the case - that he is a better prospect than Brady or Matt at the same time, he would be ranked #1.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 12:37 PM   #404
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tij is a great prospect, but Matt T had over 100 points and was a key factor in a memorial cup win for the Knights in his draft season. Marner is no doubt better supporting staff than Cristall, but I don't think we can reasonably say that Tij is a better prospect than Matt.

However, I think it is reasonable to say they're in the same mold of prospect. I really hope we draft Tij (unless we win the lotto of course.)
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:59 PM   #405
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You may end up being right, but if that was the case - that he is a better prospect than Brady or Matt at the same time, he would be ranked #1.

Matt T didn't go first overall but a lot of us were pleasantly surprised at how NHL mature Matt was and it gave him an advantage over Bennet.

He knew how to agitate, how to get into the right places and he even talked about how growing up among NHL players molded him. They probably got tips from players all the time while growing up. Tij has probably has similar experiences and there is a chance he has a lot of his dad's characteristics. He is showing signs of being a power forward like his dad a tough agitator who can lead and score. He is already showing consistency.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:16 PM   #406
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Matthew was lights out in the CHL playoffs over 2 ppg in his draft year. Tij looks good but not that good.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 02:22 PM   #407
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No question.

Yeah, you just can't beat that quality of tutelage.

He has to have a step up on talented kids who don't have parents who were pros, never mind HOF pros.

I like that Tij is bringing back the classic snap shot. Scott wheeler on 960 made the point that kids today don't shoot like Sakic and iggy did. It's more of a pull and release motion rather than the powerful snap that Tij has been taught.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 02:30 PM   #408
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Tij is a great prospect, but Matt T had over 100 points and was a key factor in a memorial cup win for the Knights in his draft season. Marner is no doubt better supporting staff than Cristall, but I don't think we can reasonably say that Tij is a better prospect than Matt.

However, I think it is reasonable to say they're in the same mold of prospect. I really hope we draft Tij (unless we win the lotto of course.)
It's amazing how lukewarm people were on Tkachuk all the way up until the Canucks wents off the board lol.

There was a period of time there where 100 points in the CHL was pretty standard for 1st rounders.

Feels like scoring has dipped a bit. 80-100 is what 100-120 was 5-15 years ago.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:31 PM   #409
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Draft rankings are what they are - Matthew Tkachuk would go 2nd overall if they redid 2016.

Tij’s draft year numbers are better than Jarome’s, and hes not playing on a 2x Mem Cup winning roster.

I think he’s going to rocket up the rankings as we get closer.

Hope he’s ours.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 03-28-2024 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Thought the WHL reg season was still going
Old 03-28-2024, 02:33 PM   #410
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Draft rankings are what they are - Matthew Tkachuk would go 2nd overall if they redid 2016.

Tij is gonna score 50 goals this year. His draft year numbers are better than Jarome’s.

I think he’s going to rocket up the rankings as we get closer, and if he gets 55 goals I’d bet he’s a top-5 pick.

Hope he’s ours.
Are you including playoffs in those totals? His regular season is done. He's getting 47 goals in the regular season and that's it. Playoffs start Friday night.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 02:41 PM   #411
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
It's amazing how lukewarm people were on Tkachuk all the way up until the Canucks wents off the board lol.

There was a period of time there where 100 points in the CHL was pretty standard for 1st rounders.

Feels like scoring has dipped a bit. 80-100 is what 100-120 was 5-15 years ago.
Matthews and the two Fins were the three people were most excited about but I recall many being pretty excited about the possibility of getting Tkachuk especially given how good he looked in the Memorial cup.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:42 PM   #412
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tij would be a very lucrative pick that would help the organization in a multitude of ways, from butts in seats to media storylines to jersey sales. The team would benefit massively from that decision.

But that doesn't mean it will be the pick that gets them closest to a championship core, especially if they're 8th or 9th and reaching down a little.

Getting the next Karlsson or Burns on your blue line to build around probably lends itself to greater team success in a few years than Iginla on your second line wing who will inevitably generate buzz but probably not advance the team meaningfully, unless he catches lightning in a bottle and becomes a franchise winger, but those cases are a little rarer these days (Panarin and Kucherov are probably the closest examples).

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 03-28-2024 at 02:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 02:47 PM   #413
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Are you including playoffs in those totals? His regular season is done. He's getting 47 goals in the regular season and that's it. Playoffs start Friday night.
Sorry, saw 64 GP and assumed he had another 8.

In any event - 47 in 64 is an outstanding pace, and a significant number of them look identical to goals I used to see scored all the time on Dome ice.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 03-28-2024 at 02:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 02:47 PM   #414
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Matthews and the two Fins were the three people were most excited about but I recall many being pretty excited about the possibility of getting Tkachuk especially given how good he looked in the Memorial cup.
That's fair. There was a portion who were, but I distinctly remember most weren't jumping out of their seats at the idea of Tkachuk and kind of undervalued his role in that run. The general consensus seemed that he was "fine".

It could have been due to the assumption he would be taken off the board in the top 5, likely to the Canucks, as well as the skating aspect.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:49 PM   #415
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Centers carry so much more value. You just look at how the Flames have coveted a guy like Mercer. If you stock your system with centers and don't have room for all of them they will fetch far more via trade than wingers down the road. If the Flames were picking 8th and took Iginla I wouldn't be upset about getting the player but I wouldn't be thrilled about the value at that pick as it's like taking a RB in the top 10 when some really good QB's, tackles, and edge rushers were available.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 02:53 PM   #416
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the BPA crowd, would you take Iggy or Eiserman?

Cole is considered by some as the best pure scorer in the class, but a bit of a hot head and has question marks on the 200 foot side of the game (but that can be taught).
Old 03-28-2024, 02:54 PM   #417
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's actually too bad Iginla had such a great season...would have been better if he was ranked in the 20s and Flames could have traded up with the Canucks pick to get him.

As much as I'd love for him to be a Flame...if you're picking at 8 and one of the top dmen or C are still available (Buium, Dickinson, Lindstrom, etc) then they probably go further to making you a contender than Iginla does.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:55 PM   #418
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
For the BPA crowd, would you take Iggy or Eiserman?

Cole is considered by some as the best pure scorer in the class, but a bit of a hot head and has question marks on the 200 foot side of the game (but that can be taught).
Iginla
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 03:04 PM   #419
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, you just can't beat that quality of tutelage.

He has to have a step up on talented kids who don't have parents who were pros, never mind HOF pros.

I like that Tij is bringing back the classic snap shot. Scott wheeler on 960 made the point that kids today don't shoot like Sakic and iggy did. It's more of a pull and release motion rather than the powerful snap that Tij has been taught.
how can one determine this is a leg up for Iggy Jr, when we don't know how the other top prospects were trained?

In many cases these kids have received the best coaching, training, and skill development available and from a very young age.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:05 PM   #420
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Centers carry so much more value. You just look at how the Flames have coveted a guy like Mercer. If you stock your system with centers and don't have room for all of them they will fetch far more via trade than wingers down the road. If the Flames were picking 8th and took Iginla I wouldn't be upset about getting the player but I wouldn't be thrilled about the value at that pick as it's like taking a RB in the top 10 when some really good QB's, tackles, and edge rushers were available.
Plus most centres can play wing (not all but most).
That's not the case in reverse.

It's never a bad thing to have to many centres.
It's a very bad thing not to have enough of them.