Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 395 63.00%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 164 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.90%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.94%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #1761
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Have you not seen the stunts that the idiots at The Rebel have been pulling so far? Absolutely despicable.

Nope, because I'm not watching for the Rebel, don't care and don't follow it.

The last story i saw on the Rebels is when the cons kicked one of the Rebel reporters out of the Rally, and the lawsuit about the debate accreditation That the Rebel and that other group won.

I don't give two s$$$$ about the Rebel etc, just like I don't give two s%%%% about rags like the Tyee or whatever its called.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #1762
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Nope, because I'm not watching for the Rebel, don't care and don't follow it.

The last story i saw on the Rebels is when the cons kicked one of the Rebel reporters out of the Rally, and the lawsuit about the debate accreditation That the Rebel and that other group won.

I don't give two s$$$$ about the Rebel etc, just like I don't give two s%%%% about rags like the Tyee or whatever its called.
Again, though, is The Tyee doxxing young Conservatives? I get not following them when they're on their usual bull####, but when they go into this kind of vile behaviour, everyone should notice and condemn the crap out of them for it.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #1763
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Performative element? #### off, those people are idiots plain and simple you don't block traffic and dance on trains and scream the world is ending in 12 years if you're head is screwed on tight.
I have to agree. This kind of stuff crosses the line into zealot territory. It's not about the tactic itself and more about the reasons they are doing it which in this case is fanatical.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #1764
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Performative element? #### off, those people are idiots plain and simple you don't block traffic and dance on trains and scream the world is ending in 12 years if you're head is screwed on tight.
Blocking traffic has been a civil disobedience tactic for decades. I don't really see it as a sign of lunacy.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 01:38 PM   #1765
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Greta Greta Greta!
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #1766
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Greta Greta Greta!
Build that pipe! Build that pipe!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:45 PM   #1767
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Greta Greta Greta!
I have to admit whomever orchestrated this whole Greta thing is a genius. I'm watching a 14 year old essentially regurgitate stuff that's been said over and over a million times by activists yet somehow it supposed to be more meaningful from a child? The crowd is eating this up. The day nations start taking direction from 14 year kids is the day we should probably just fold our tents and blow everything up.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:46 PM   #1768
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I have to admit whomever orchestrated this whole Greta thing is a genius. I'm watching a 14 year old essentially regurgitate stuff that's been said over and over a million times by activists yet somehow it supposed to be more meaningful from a child? The crowd is eating this up. The day nations start taking direction from 14 year kids is the day we should probably just fold our tents and blow everything up.
I mean the most powerful nation in the world is taking directions from a likely dementia-riddled ex-reality star. I think we're already there.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:46 PM   #1769
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Blocking traffic has been a civil disobedience tactic for decades. I don't really see it as a sign of lunacy.

That just gave me a chilling image of people parking their cars on Deerfoot or Crowchild during rush hour and then just abandoning them.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #1770
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

A very interesting discussion taking place on NPR right now. They've been talking about climate science and the denial network that exists out there that is countering science and promoting propaganda. Interesting to see this discussion surrounding Greta Thunberg, and some of the interests driving the negative media. Some really sobering facts if you follow the money.

https://www.desmog.co.uk/2019/09/15/...market-network

https://independentaustralia.net/pol...-and-may,11696

What is even more concerning is the amount of propaganda that goes unchecked, and the piss poor job the media does in presenting facts.

https://climatenewsnetwork.net/clima...-than-science/

"“It’s not just false balance; the numbers show that the media are ‘balancing’ experts − who represent the overwhelming majority of scientists − with the views of a relative handful of non-experts,” said Anthony LeRoy Westerling of the University of California, Merced.

“Most of the contrarians are not scientists, and the ones who are have very thin credentials. They are not in the same league with top scientists. They aren’t even in the league of the average career scientist.”

He and two colleagues report in the journal Nature Communications that they identified 386 prominent climate contrarians – mostly English-speaking academics, scientists, politicians and business people – and 386 distinguished climate scientists.

They then identified the 100 most prominent of each group in the 100 most prominent media outlets. Across the spectrum, the contrarians achieved the higher score, with more than 26,000 articles presenting their views, compared with 17,530 presenting the science for climate change. When they zeroed in on 30 selected media outlets the score evened, but the difference was less than 1%."

This when there is a 97% consensus on the issue in the scientific community. If this coverage were actually representative of the science, to counter those 26,000 anti-climate science articles there should be 840,667 articles touting the science. So we are only seeing ~5% of the articles we should. That is quite the imbalance in the information presented.

Disinformation continues to be a big problem, and the biggest polluters and ones most likely to benefit from us continuing on with "discussion" continue to pump money into the disinformation network.

https://blog.ucsusa.org/elliott-negi...-denier-groups

People need to get better at consuming media and following the money.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #1771
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1185276163557490688

Apparently she didn't say anything about oil or pipelines. She said that political parties and leaders aren't our enemy, it's physics. Basically focused on a broader message about climate action and on the IPCC report.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #1772
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1185276163557490688

Apparently she didn't say anything about oil or pipelines. She said that political parties and leaders aren't our enemy, it's physics. Basically focused on a broader message about climate action and on the IPCC report.
So, basically Hitler
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #1773
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Yeah, goddamn ####ing teenager skipping school and spouting pure #### and lies. Take your clown show elsewhere.

She did drop a good line though:

"If you think we should be in school instead, take our place in the streets."
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #1774
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I always thought child exploitation was kind of frowned upon.
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #1775
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looking at that picture, you could tell me she was speaking in Siberia and I would believe it. What a dump
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 01:59 PM   #1776
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently she didn't say anything about oil or pipelines.
I'm sure the usual suspects on the right will find some way to spin it so that she did.

"What, O+G isn't important to talk about? She knows nothing about what matters in Alberta."

Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:59 PM   #1777
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Damn, should I put my pitchfork away?
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:00 PM   #1778
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Looking at that picture, you could tell me she was speaking in Siberia and I would believe it. What a dump
Progressive dump
Old 10-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #1779
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean the most powerful nation in the world is taking directions from a likely dementia-riddled ex-reality star. I think we're already there.
Well if you cut through all the social media crap you would see that his term economically has been a massive success. Unemployment is at 3.5% (lowest since 1969) and if you want your investments to make money you are investing almost solely in the US as it's been the best market in centuries and you have to give his administration some credit for it.

Now that doesn't mean he's done a great job in other areas as the US is still beating around the bush when it comes to taking climate change more seriously and there's still plenty of social issues but it's been far from the disaster many try to play it out as. He's an idiot like Trudeau at the end of the day but the difference is that he actually came through on some of his promises that mattered while Trudeau has legalized pot to hang his hat on.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-18-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #1780
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'm sure the usual suspects on the right will find some way to spin it so that she did.

"What, O+G isn't important to talk about? She knows nothing about what matters in Alberta."

We did it. We scared her into not talking bad about our oil. She knew if she talked #### some good old boys would take her out back and teach her a lesson. United we roll!
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote