Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2017, 10:22 PM   #121
Mr_Pilot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Went to the game tonight, the Flames looked uninspired; like a team who was off for 4 days, playing against a team they might have took lightly.

Smith was lights out once again, was too bad we couldn't give him the support he deserved.

Was unbelievable how sloppy we were in our own zone and the neutral zone. We had our forwards break out before we cleared our own blue line, wouldn't be able to clear, and would have to regroup and try again. Full marks to the Carolina forecheck.

Won't win many games playing for 5 minutes a night. Regroup, on to the next one i guess.
Mr_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Pilot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:22 PM   #122
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
It would be nice if the coaching/management appeared to be a little more committed to the "always earned, never given" motto.
I realize you can't just call guys up and down from the ahl when someone has a bad game, but I think there's been more than enough evidence to support giving a chance to Lazar for an extended period, at least. Who knows, maybe if he didn't have to worry about immediately sitting in the press box following a bad play, he might put some good games together.
I hate to pile on but the fourth line was getting killed in their own zone. None of them were particularly bad but as a line they were dominated. Gio and Brodie both had some hellacious give aways which I never noticed from the Canes younger D core.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:23 PM   #123
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I thought the first was actually pretty even, but the Flames got progressively worse as the second went on. Then nothing until 10 to go. Tough to win when your even for half and very bad for half, but even then were very close.

It isn't the end of the world, and they could've still gotten a point or two with a break along the way.

Having said that, I am still skeptical of GG. Just like last year, I am happy to be proven wrong, but just like last year I see a lot of things that fall at the head coaches feet.

Overall I am very happy with Treliving, but this Jankowski fiasco is a real miss on his part.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #124
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looks like the coach head hunt is back.

FYI though, special teams under GG have been far better than throughout Bob's tenure here. As I shared statistically in another thread recently.

5 on 5 there may have been more excitement but they were duds on special teams under Bob, and overall the results showed as much, outside of their cinderella run.

I think this team and coach have yet to show what they can do here. It's fair to be critical but also some patience is needed. GG isn't exactly praising them or even near content right now so obviously they're not doing what he expects of them yet.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #125
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Trade Bennett for Galchenyuk. Both are in the dog house and need a change of scenery
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:27 PM   #126
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
It's Gulutzan's fault his goalie played awful?

That series is nowhere near a sweep if Elliott even plays average. To say they were swept "handily" is laughable.
Elliott did play awful, but:

- It's Gulutzan's fault he continued to go back to Matt Bartkowski in that series instead of taking full advantage of his top 4 defense. Bartkowski was somehow -5 across those four games - that's the worst on the team and has a lot to do with the fact that he was on the ice.

- It's Gulutzan's fault he went back to Elliott after the total game 3 meltdown.

- It's Gulutzan's fault he had a 35 year old borderline 3rd pairing dman killing penalties against Ryan Getzlaf when he had better options available. You need your top PKers to retrieve pucks.

- it's Gulutzan's fault that he didn't shuffle the lines once over those four games where no line except Versteeg-Bennett-Chiasson was generating any offense at 5v5

- it's Gulutzan's fault he had no strategic versatility (like adding a stretch pass, or forecheck modifications to key in on scrubs like Bieksa, or giving the defense more of a green light to open up scoring lanes on Gibson) to play when a team has locked it down against the Flames.

Elliott didn't do Gulutzan any favors. But Gulutzan getting styled on by Randy Carlyle was pretty independent of that.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:27 PM   #127
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

4-3 and we lost to one of the hottest teams in the NHL and some posters are calling for the coaches head. Sounds exactly like a certain fan base up North who always blames it on the coach as well. The goddamn sky is not falling people, they lost to a very fast skilled team and they were certainly flat but it is early in the season and weird things happen at the beginning of the season until things return to normal. The freakin Golden Knights look like SC contenders right now. Relax, take a breath, and be patient.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #128
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Trade Bennett for Galchenyuk. Both are in the dog house and need a change of scenery
Yeah, no. $4.9M for Galchenyuk. Not just no, but #### no.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #129
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
I hate to pile on but the fourth line was getting killed in their own zone. None of them were particularly bad but as a line they were dominated. Gio and Brodie both had some hellacious give aways which I never noticed from the Canes younger D core.
The fourth line didn't lose the team this game, or fail to win this game. Nor should a 4th line
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #130
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Yeah, no. $4.9M for Galchenyuk. Not just no, but #### no.
only 400k more than brouwer
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #131
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
The system looks like no fun to play, is perimeter based, is highly predictable, and is never adjusted in-game. Nor are lines matched very effectively.

Coaching is an issue with this team.
The Flames could draw a lot more penalties with an agressive strategy using the middle of the ice. They were nearly shut out again. Also, playing your top line with the third d pairing is a bad idea, but its a thing.

When the Flames went on a good run last year, management said they "dumbed down" the system. Which means they used less of that system to win. It seems like the individual skill is neutered in favor of structure, the lines/pairings reflect this.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #132
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Typical Monahan game. Creates nothing. Bad in his own zone. Chases the puck all night. And then scores in the slot. Very perplexing player
Its super annoying when you go back to the LA game and he makes a decent play to get open for the winner and everyone says afterwards "what a player" or something along those lines.
I wasn't going to crap all over the win that day but this comment was exactly what I wanted to say. People love em when they win, and people hate them when they lose, but Monahan could pot a hat trick and I would still strongly dislike his game. You know that hypothetical hat trick would come from point blank shots in the slot off a rebound or a Johnny pass.
The guy creates nothing and its extremely difficult to accept the fact that he never will.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DomeFoam For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #133
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Said this in the game thread but Carolina is a damn good team. Top five defence and talented forwards with some jam.

Sometimes it's not that the Flames lack "effort" (hate that term) but that their opponent is running over them. Such was the case tonight.

Anyway, pick up and move on, but flames continue to get killed in the advanced stats game which is concerning. There is some pretty bad crud on the bottom end of the roster. Something contending teams don't typically have.

Stone for example CF of 6%? Holy crap that's terrible. If your bottom pair is that much of a liability over a season you're a legit pretender.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #134
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I love when people give the 4th line a pass to be crappy just because they aren't expected to be superstars.

You can't have a successful 82 game season with 2 lines providing all the offense. What is the identity of that 4th line? Is it energy? If it is, they don't seem to do that, ever. They don't look like they are skating very hard in all directions, they don't look like they're hitting or mucking it up, they don't ever fight. Okay, so are they scoring? No.

So we are just okay with sending 25% of our forward group out there and not expecting ANY results?? Why the free pass all the time? There should be expectations for the 4th line, and it should be somewhere less than leading the team in scoring for sure, but somewhere above 'all we need you to do is wear this uniform'.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #135
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
only 400k more than brouwer
I'm sorry, but what does this even mean? Can we trade Brouwer for Galchenyuk?
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:37 PM   #136
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Elliott did play awful, but:

- It's Gulutzan's fault he continued to go back to Matt Bartkowski in that series instead of taking full advantage of his top 4 defense. Bartkowski was somehow -5 across those four games - that's the worst on the team and has a lot to do with the fact that he was on the ice.

- It's Gulutzan's fault he went back to Elliott after the total game 3 meltdown.

- It's Gulutzan's fault he had a 35 year old borderline 3rd pairing dman killing penalties against Ryan Getzlaf when he had better options available. You need your top PKers to retrieve pucks.

- it's Gulutzan's fault that he didn't shuffle the lines once over those four games where no line except Versteeg-Bennett-Chiasson was generating any offense at 5v5

- it's Gulutzan's fault he had no strategic versatility (like adding a stretch pass, or forecheck modifications to key in on scrubs like Bieksa, or giving the defense more of a green light to open up scoring lanes on Gibson) to play when a team has locked it down against the Flames.

Elliott didn't do Gulutzan any favors. But Gulutzan getting styled on by Randy Carlyle was pretty independent of that.

Yep all Gulutzan

Does Gulutzan get any credit with you? Good grief. Flames have been playing like this long before Gulutzan got here.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:37 PM   #137
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
The Flames could draw a lot more penalties with an agressive strategy using the middle of the ice. They were nearly shut out again. Also, playing your top line with the third d pairing is a bad idea, but its a thing.

When the Flames went on a good run last year, management said they "dumbed down" the system. Which means they used less of that system to win. It seems like the individual skill is neutered in favor of structure, the lines/pairings reflect this.
exactly, couldn't agree more.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #138
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope BT is concerned about GG's system.Way too many shots on Smith and not enough scoring chances.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:39 PM   #139
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
Zero scoring threat when the bottom two lines are on the ice. Bennett useless again. Not that the Flames or anyone cares, but I'm not watching or going to another game until Jankowski is on this team. Enough's enough.
I was thinking the same thing but I doubt I could last. Doesn't the organization realize that an insertion of hungry prospects brings the energy up for the vets and the crowd. Not a lot of excitement other than Smith. Kind of funny how we lose tight games because we can't score yet we sent our leading scorer in Pre-season to the minors.... Pretty sure we are the only team with that strategy. So if we miss winning the division or playoffs by a few points and Janko makes a difference when he came up...should we have kept him up instead of signing Glass.....hmmm.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #140
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anyone explain what purpose Sam Bennett serves on this team other than taking penalties every game? Honestly I’m ready to dump him for a 6th round pick and a water bottle.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote