Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #241
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I bet Flames players weren't even in the top 10 before the Wideman incident.
Keep in mind that the 3 main offenders, Tkachuk, Bennett and Hamilton were not in the line-up two years ago.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #242
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Ian Auld‏ @ijauld
Hockey PSA, this is what a clapper to the head does to a helmet.

sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #243
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not nearly enough speed or skill in the lineup to compete on a nightly basis.

Smith is next level but the flames look like their rebuild might be bottoming out if guys like Bennett don't start to pan out as legit top 6/top line guys.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #244
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought the flames were far too predictable throughout the firs 50mins. I don't think we should go back to the stretch pass all the time but it would be nice if we could have different lines attempt different breakouts. Going up the wing with a tip to the center breaking the zone is pretty easy to defend against if you're doing it every single time. Why not switch it up and have a guy blow the zone early for a stretch pass every once in a while to keep the other teams D on their toes?

They look like uninterested robots out there, really hope they get back to basics next game and shoot the ####ing puck. AND HIT THE GODDAMN NET
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #245
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Not nearly enough speed or skill in the lineup to compete on a nightly basis.

Smith is next level but the flames look like their rebuild might be bottoming out if guys like Bennett don't start to pan out as legit top 6/top line guys.
Hyperbole much? Not nearly enough skill? I'd say were are pretty near to having enough, considering they are 4-3-0 to start the season, and we have a player who is top 10 in scoring.

Spoiler!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #246
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I thought the flames were far too predictable throughout the firs 50mins. I don't think we should go back to the stretch pass all the time but it would be nice if we could have different lines attempt different breakouts. Going up the wing with a tip to the center breaking the zone is pretty easy to defend against if you're doing it every single time. Why not switch it up and have a guy blow the zone early for a stretch pass every once in a while to keep the other teams D on their toes?

They look like uninterested robots out there, really hope they get back to basics next game and shoot the ####ing puck. AND HIT THE GODDAMN NET
The team isn't fast enough to play like that and find any kind of success.

Tkachuk is not fast, Monahan is not fast, jagr is not fast, versteeg is not fast, ferland is not particularly fast, neither is gaudreau.

The reason it looked like that stuff worked under Hartley was flames d, their fastest players, joining the rush by sacrificing defensive positioning.

You can't play a neutral zone tips game with Bennett or brouwer or stajan or whomever. The flames need to play a possession game because it is too difficult for them to get the puck back once they lose it, they can't just give it up to a 50/50 scenario and expect to win games.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #247
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Hyperbole much? Not nearly enough skill? I'd say were are pretty near to having enough, considering they are 4-3-0 to start the season, and we have a player who is top 10 in scoring.

Spoiler!
You think one guy in the top 10 negates the TEAM being in the bottom third of the league in scoring?

Gaudreau has been involved/responsible for more than half the goals the team has scored this year. If he is not on the ice the flames have a better than even chance they won't score a goal.

Sounds like a high skill lineup to me.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #248
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy Christ this place is gloomy, you would think we had the same start as Edmonton. Sometimes I think the lack of success in the past has made some fans so used to griping and whining that anything will set them off. We could win the next four and then drop 1 game and this would all start up again.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #249
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

The only reason the Flames' record is what it is is their above average depth. They're getting by, but it will catch up with them. Playing a passive, lazy, uncreative game for the first 50 minutes only to wake up in the last 10 when you're already down a couple goals is just not going to cut it. It's like they throw the system out the window and suddenly things start to click -- crazy.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #250
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's not so much that they lost, it's how they lost. Good teams look good and lose games, the Flames go from looking good to looking bad. If there was more of an effort and they lost it wouldn't be as bad.

Something is wrong when the team's play fluctuates that much.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #251
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few comments from me:
Hit the freakin net.. Not sure if everyone was way rusty with 4 days off but that was driving me crazy.
Ferland, start hitting people FFS.
Like others, Bennett to wing, Janko to Center. (This is so obvious duh)
Also, bring Lazar in for games where you need high speed! Even when he's not scoring he brings intensity and speed, WE NEED THAT. Also somebody mentioned Hathaway, I agree there too.
In fact, bring up the WHOLE Stockton #1 line (Janko, Mangiapane, Hathaway) and play them on the 4th line, I guarantee they will score more points than Stajan/Glass/Brouwer..

I think Stajan's time might already be drawing to an end. He is beyond useless 5 on 5. (good on the pk)
Old 10-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #252
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Holy Christ this place is gloomy, you would think we had the same start as Edmonton. Sometimes I think the lack of success in the past has made some fans so used to griping and whining that anything will set them off. We could win the next four and then drop 1 game and this would all start up again.
Sure that's a thing. But I don't think even you woud deny there's a pattern forming with this group. They're regularly out-of-sync and it's costing them games. One bad game is one thing, repetitively coming out flat and disorganized indicates a bigger problem.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #253
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Without Mike Smith we are Oiler bad.For once we have a solid goalie but lazy players in front of him.

Last edited by Kybb79; 10-20-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybb79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #254
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The team isn't fast enough to play like that and find any kind of success.

Tkachuk is not fast, Monahan is not fast, jagr is not fast, versteeg is not fast, ferland is not particularly fast, neither is gaudreau.

The reason it looked like that stuff worked under Hartley was flames d, their fastest players, joining the rush by sacrificing defensive positioning.

You can't play a neutral zone tips game with Bennett or brouwer or stajan or whomever. The flames need to play a possession game because it is too difficult for them to get the puck back once they lose it, they can't just give it up to a 50/50 scenario and expect to win games.
I'm not saying to switch the whole system around, just that we need some variation. It looks easy to defend against the flames because they never change it up. The D can hold the line because they know no one will be behind them and that the flames will chip it to center or hold onto it and go cross ice. It's the same thing with our PP entry. Just a serious lack of deviation from set plays.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #255
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
The only reason the Flames' record is what it is is their above average depth. They're getting by, but it will catch up with them. Playing a passive, lazy, uncreative game for the first 50 minutes only to wake up in the last 10 when you're already down a couple goals is just not going to cut it. It's like they throw the system out the window and suddenly things start to click -- crazy.

The main reason the record isn’t better is that all that depth hasn’t contributed anything
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #256
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Without Mike Smith we are Oiler bad.For once we have a solid goalie but lazy players in front of him.

A little someone wanted to say hi

Spoiler!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #257
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
A little someone wanted to say hi

Spoiler!
Kipper was the man.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #258
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
my 9 year old son made a comment, he said we are like montreal now, far too reliant on the goalie. its only 7 games but i don't disagree. This vaunted d core hasnt really shown much in the way of consistent play and as other have said, the 4th line is beyond awful, they dont do anything all that well. Please put Bennett on the wing, the guy has no confidence at center. Jankowski needs to come up, these AHL players need to be rewarded if their play warrants it.. Brouwer is so invisible out there, guy just goes through the motions.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #259
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
my 9 year old son made a comment, he said we are like montreal now, far too reliant on the goalie. its only 7 games but i don't disagree. This vaunted d core hasnt really shown much in the way of consistent play and as other have said, the 4th line is beyond awful, they dont do anything all that well. Please put Bennett on the wing, the guy has no confidence at center. Jankowski needs to come up, these AHL players need to be rewarded if their play warrants it.. Brouwer is so invisible out there, guy just goes through the motions.
I agree with you and your son.Bennett has regressed under GG his confidence is just getting worse.We need some youth injected into the bottom 6.Next season Stagan,Versteeg,Glass and Brouwer are hopefully gone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybb79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #260
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Even a 9 year old can point out the issue

come on Tre.... bring up Janko