Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2017, 10:59 PM   #161
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Don't want to be overly negative as it's only one game but Monahan is really starting to nag at me, he's almost the definition of a one dimensional scorer. Can you honestly see a championship team being led by Monahan as the number 1 center? Tough one.

Just look at the centers that have drive their teams to a cup: Kopitar, Bergeron, Toews, Crosby, Staal.

It's a criticism you could apply to many teams but still doesn't take that nagging feeling away.
To be honest, I see Backlund as our number one center and I suspect Gulutzan does too.

Maybe it's time to just finally stack our top line with Gaudreau and Backlund. Throw in a net front presence, hell even Troy Brouwer to complete the line.

Make Bennett sink or swim with Tkachuk and Frolik (if he's going to get his confidence back with anybody, it's those two.) and have Monahan cycle on his own line with Jagr and Ferland.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:00 PM   #162
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Don't want to be overly negative as it's only one game but Monahan is really starting to nag at me, he's almost the definition of a one dimensional scorer. Can you honestly see a championship team being led by Monahan as the number 1 center? Tough one.

Just look at the centers that have drive their teams to a cup: Kopitar, Bergeron, Toews, Crosby, Staal.

It's a criticism you could apply to many teams but still doesn't take that nagging feeling away.
Monahan and Backlund are a tandem. When Backlund has to kill 4 penalties and sit for 1 in two periods it places all the 1C responsibility on Monahan.

Sure, Sean didn't have the best game. Still, the root of the problem is Undiciplined play.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:02 PM   #163
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan is fine...some other guys need to step up

79 and 93 are at the top of that list

This team has no ridiculous high contracts...the strength is supposed to be depth, not one guy putting the team on his back. Monanhan makes 6M not 10M
Old 10-19-2017, 11:03 PM   #164
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland, Bennett, and Versteeg have all been brutal this year - not surprised putting them on a line didn’t work.

With the addition of Jagr this team might have too many vets up front. Jagr, Glass, Versteeg, Stajan, Brouwer are all not the most fleet of foot.

Can’t help but think this team might be better with Mangipane and Jankowski in the lineup over Glass and Stajan. At least we’d be faster.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #165
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I do agree that they dressed the wrong 4th liners tonight. We needed the guys with some speed and skill for this game. Would've helped the performance overall but probably not changed the outcome, however.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #166
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blaming Stajan is pretty silly considering how good the PK has been and the workload
Old 10-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #167
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you told me at the beginning of the season that we’d be 4-3 after 7 games I’d gladly take it given the history of poor starts. This team most definitely can play better and their not behind the 8 ball early. It’ll be alright.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:07 PM   #168
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Monahan is fine...some other guys need to step up

79 and 93 are at the top of that list

This team has no ridiculous high contracts...the strength is supposed to be depth, not one guy putting the team on his back. Monanhan makes 6M not 10M
I agree about Monahan. Least of our problems. The problem is that we are supposedly designed as a team with depth but currently only get offense from two lines.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:10 PM   #169
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Looks like the coach head hunt is back.

FYI though, special teams under GG have been far better than throughout Bob's tenure here. As I shared statistically in another thread recently.

5 on 5 there may have been more excitement but they were duds on special teams under Bob, and overall the results showed as much, outside of their cinderella run.

I think this team and coach have yet to show what they can do here. It's fair to be critical but also some patience is needed. GG isn't exactly praising them or even near content right now so obviously they're not doing what he expects of them yet.
I think part of this tho is Cameron is an upgrade on Gelinais.

I think A better head coach paired Cameron could produce both.

Was not a fan of Paul Jerrard hire either.
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:10 PM   #170
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

With all this talk recently about inflated shot totals, it's very telling to see that Bennett has only 5 shots in 7 games. That's less than what Ovechkin averages per game!
nightfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:11 PM   #171
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

just lmfao at bart/stone's 10% shot attempts for. i thought the nightmare of a completely useless bottom pairing was over after engelland left, but boy am i wrong.

it is clear as day to anyone that bartkowski is not an nhl-level player. he sinks every line that gets stuck on the ice with him. no-one turns routine defensive zone control into disastrous scrambles and running around in your own zone for 2 minutes like he does. for the love of god he helped us get swept, what more does he have to prove???

what was the point of buying out bouma if you're going to waste a roster and line-up spot for glass? glass is worse than bouma somehow, when he's on the ice it's pretty much resigning yourself to playing with a man down. can't receive passes, can't make passes, can't skate.

why do they insist on filling out the lower end of the roster with pto trash? did they not get enough of grossmann? we have to have a fourth line that can't cross our own blue line with control?

this game is what they deserve for refusing to ice the best possible line-up game after game. just shameful roster decisions. looking forward to no line-up changes next game and jankowski wasting more of his elc in the ahl while tanner glass gritangibles his way to getting shelled.

by my count, flames' best game was in anaheim against a depleted roster. i still have faith they can work out of this and get better over the season, but for that to happen they actually have to play their best players

Last edited by Jore; 10-19-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:11 PM   #172
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Be careful. I think Bennett's 10 dads post on here and they dont like any posts critiquing Bennett.

He's still young and will be better than RNH and don't forget the 1in1000 story of Backlund. He is pretty much the next Backlund. Only 8 more years to wait. Have some patience.
Zzzzzzzzz. Water is wet. Calgaryblood repeating the same thing over and over and over again. Zzzzzzzzzzz.
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dieHARDflameZ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #173
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My wife finally watched a game with me lol. Her 2 comments. Smith is a stud, was impressessed. Secondly wanted to know if Gulutzen was a mannequin. Spit beer everywhere lol. Classic
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #174
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually don't mind Glass, but the lack of speed on the fourth line was obvious today.

I wasn't a fan of the trade for Lazar, but if you're going to give up that asset for him, you might as well see what you have with the dude. There was some intriguing chemistry with Gaudreau and Monahan.

At least give him a few games in a row. Even on the fourth line; it's better than nothing
Old 10-19-2017, 11:19 PM   #175
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
I actually don't mind Glass, but the lack of speed on the fourth line was obvious today.

I wasn't a fan of the trade for Lazar, but if you're going to give up that asset for him, you might as well see what you have with the dude. There was some intriguing chemistry with Gaudreau and Monahan.

At least give him a few games in a row. Even on the fourth line; it's better than nothing
Also protected him in expansion and said "they have big hpes for him " and " We expect big things for him".

Proceeds to sit him in place of guy's that the happily exposed.
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:20 PM   #176
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post

i respect your opinion, but i've been watching glass closely and he's incredibly useless. he's behind the play most of the time, and passing up his wing or across to him or in the offensive zone is pretty much a guaranteed loss of possession. he works hard and i'm sure he's 'good in the room' and he hits people sometimes, but he can't be relied on to push play to the other team's end or to really do anything in defense

4th line have been slow all year. lazar can't be worse but i'd rather see jankowski at this point, maybe lazar could rotate in after
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #177
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
My wife finally watched a game with me lol. Her 2 comments. Smith is a stud, was impressessed. Secondly wanted to know if Gulutzen was a mannequin. Spit beer everywhere lol. Classic
Is your wife granteedEV?

It's not his fault his third line center is a pylon defensively and one offensively as well.

Gulutzan is a good coach just don't think he gets to make the roster decisions.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:28 PM   #178
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As someone whose spent over 500 dollars to go to the last two games, I do not give a ####thst they have an over inflated record on the back of Mike Smith. What I do care about is that not once in the past 120 minuted of hockey have I felt entertained. This brand of hockey is almost unwatchable. To me that is on the coach, because I don’t think it’s because of lack of effort
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 11:29 PM   #179
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
As someone whose spent over 500 dollars to go to the last two games, I do not give a ####thst they have an over inflated record on the back of Mike Smith. What I do care about is that not once in the past 120 minuted of hockey have I felt entertained. This brand of hockey is almost unwatchable. To me that is on the coach, because I don’t think it’s because of lack of effort
Fool me once....
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:31 PM   #180
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Fool me once....
Fool me 37 more times. I have season tickets.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 10-19-2017 at 11:33 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post: