Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Game Takes Discussion

Hey gang,

With a son playing midget and coaching my daughter in Bantam the late start times for kid's games is really making Game Takes a tough endeavor this season. Home at 10, catch up the game, write at midnight, post at 1AM, get up at 5AM and start over again.

I'm not sure I can last through 82 of these, and there haven't been any takers for writing.

So what I'm thinking is either eliminating them altogether or reducing them to what people read them for the most ... then using the extra time to start doing more interesting stuff with statistics and commentary.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:45 AM   #2
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just do the stats, there's enough game rehashing in the PGT threads really.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Just do the stats, there's enough game rehashing in the PGT threads really.
But only for as long as deemed appropriate by invisible forces.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #4
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Force TheScorpion to do it. He's a good writer.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since the game takes are becoming too much of a grind, I say focus on the stuff you want to do with stats and commentary.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #6
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'm honestly not sure enough people even read them any more
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I blame the font size.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I give a Thanks every time I read one, and I read them almost every time. I enjoy their dedicated thread too, instead of wading through the PGT.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #9
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I completely understand the time it can take and late at night to do these things, its truly an effort.

I applaud you though Bingo, you have been dedicated to them for what....15 years or so now? Amazing stick-to-it-ness on your part.

I say do whatever you think is best, and thanks for your work through the years.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #10
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm reading them all, and it's something I look forward to. I love re-hashing a win, of course, but also after a loss it's great to get an even/balanced view. Not too high, not too low, that's a strong point with them.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #11
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I really appreciate them (many thanks!), and I suspect a lot of us read them. I wish I could help, but I don't have your skills/knowledge level, nor do I have the ability to watch most of the games. Even if you did half the games (or less) the Game Takes would still be a must read for me.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:18 AM   #12
domingo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I look forward to reading it after every game. But it does seem not many read it. What a shame.

Thanks so much for your dedication.
domingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #13
Mathalete
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I read every one of them. I don't always get to watch every game, so I like to read the game takes to get a feel of how the game went.

I don't often check out the game threads, so the writeup you put forth is my primary source I check to find out what happened.

I enjoy them!
Mathalete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mathalete For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #14
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I read almost all of them, but I usually skip over the flow of the game section. Like others mentioned I appreciate your balanced take on the games.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #15
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read them every game and really appreciate the possession stats part. I suggest doing them when you WANT to do it, not when it feels like a chore. We will appreciate when you do it, and understand when you don't.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #16
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only read Game Takes when I didn't have a chance to watch the game itself. Gives me a quick, thorough recap and a substitute for reading GT and PGT.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #17
fastpuck
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I read them and enjoy them each game, even if I watched it. It is one more insight into the game. However, I know what is is like to have a busy life, and completely understand not having the time to do them without help. Scaling back to more detailed stories, including informing us on the value or the fault of statistics would be equally valuable. This week someone posted about Jussi's breakout on powerplay. I thought that was really interesting. I would like to see maybe an article or series of articles on system play. Many of us haven't played high enough levels of well coached hockey to understand the structure behind some of the plays we see and recognize. We see them, but the analysis is really interesting, and the different in systems between coaches or teams.
fastpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #18
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm with the2bears. I enjoy reading them because they are more concise than the PGT discussion while providing more detail than the typical game recaps from the mainstream media sites (TSN, Sportsnet, etc.). I like the fact that they are written from the perspective of a Flames fan who is knowledgeable about the current issues facing the team. Even though you are a fan, I find the articles to be well-balanced. I particularly like the period-by-period summaries.

After every loss, I'm in a bitter mood, so it's nice to be able to go back to the Game Takes a few days later when I have a clear mind.

Sorry to hear it's taking so much time for you, though (family time is important!). Kudos for keeping it up as long as you have.

As others have done in this thread, I want to express my appreciation for the effort you've put in.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #19
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Hey gang,

With a son playing midget and coaching my daughter in Bantam the late start times for kid's games is really making Game Takes a tough endeavor this season. Home at 10, catch up the game, write at midnight, post at 1AM, get up at 5AM and start over again.

I'm not sure I can last through 82 of these, and there haven't been any takers for writing.

So what I'm thinking is either eliminating them altogether or reducing them to what people read them for the most ... then using the extra time to start doing more interesting stuff with statistics and commentary.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
What happened to the time when people were fighting over starting the GDT? Surely if you set up a schedule people would volunteer for some games right? I'd take a shot at 1 or 2. It wouldn't be a Bingo level write up, but you can't write 82 every year as volunteer work.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #20
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

For me, the best part of the Game Takes is the Odds and Ends. It's a thoughtful opinion on the game and the Flames in general that I don't have to filter through the PGT to find. Regardless what ends up happening, thanks for taking the time over the years to write the Game Takes.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to atb For This Useful Post: