Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #461
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the situation with Tkachuk isn't so much this specific act but more along the lines of rubbing salt in a wound when perhaps it didn't need to be done in the eyes of the league.

We all know and we all love the game that he plays but the truth of the matter is that he does push the envelope in same cases and when you play with fire, once in a while you will get burnt.

I know when he had his beef with Doughty in LA a lot of people were on board, loved it and didn't think too much about it. On subsequent broadcasts, interviews and other media reports I do recall hearing that Flames management had very stern talks with him about his conduct and he has been warned several times from the league about taking it too far.

Yesterdays incident I suspect was loved by Red Wings fan's on what Mantha did to Hamanic but that doesn't make it right overall. If you watch the video closely you can see Andreas Athanasiou grab Hamanic's from behind while he was going at it with Mantha and than Justin Abdelkader pushed him back and made a reference to "leave them alone"

Like I said when it comes to Tkachuk I love the guy, he's a heart and soul player and he might even be a future captain but I do think he may get a game or two in this situation. He has developed in the league's mind a little bit of a reputation for some handy work considering he's been in the league a grand total of 13 months.
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #462
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Attitude reflect leadership.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #463
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I think the situation with Tkachuk isn't so much this specific act but more along the lines of rubbing salt in a wound when perhaps it didn't need to be done in the eyes of the league.

We all know and we all love the game that he plays but the truth of the matter is that he does push the envelope in same cases and when you play with fire, once in a while you will get burnt.

I know when he had his beef with Doughty in LA a lot of people were on board, loved it and didn't think too much about it. On subsequent broadcasts, interviews and other media reports I do recall hearing that Flames management had very stern talks with him about his conduct and he has been warned several times from the league about taking it too far.

Yesterdays incident I suspect was loved by Red Wings fan's on what Mantha did to Hamanic but that doesn't make it right overall. If you watch the video closely you can see Andreas Athanasiou grab Hamanic's from behind while he was going at it with Mantha and than Justin Abdelkader pushed him back and made a reference to "leave them alone"

Like I said when it comes to Tkachuk I love the guy, he's a heart and soul player and he might even be a future captain but I do think he may get a game or two in this situation. He has developed in the league's mind a little bit of a reputation for some handy work considering he's been in the league a grand total of 13 months.
Disagree here.

Tkachuk stood up for his team at that point. Maybe if Witkowski after the fight just skated off, things might have been different, but Witkowski was chirping the bench. Tkachuk came in to give him a tap. Maybe he was hoping for a reaction. Now that goon has a less likely chance of getting NHL time, and furthering his career, as it is likely that the other Wings players that were hurt return and he will be sent down again.

With the LA thing, yes, Flames' management asked him to pick his spots better. That was in regards with that 2nd game after his incident with Doughty. Tkachuk was too ready for the retribution, and he was looking for it everywhere trying to answer the bell and make his mark. They talked to him then, and he has since not had an issue, even against LA in subsequent games.

I don't think that Tkachuk did anything wrong here. Sure, maybe you can argue that it sparked the whole thing, but I also don't doubt that at that point, had Witkowski went to the locker room, the subsequent shift would have been chaos. The Flames were blown out, the other team's goon just beat the crap out of the Flames' rookie, and the Flames became pissed off. I would have bet that there would have been some pretty chippy play followed by a fight or two.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #464
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
And this, right here, shows a major flaw in how analytics is used.

We gave up five special teams goals. Trying to argue how awesome we were five on five is great and all, but over 35% of that game was played by special teams. And we got the ever loving crap kicked out of us in those situations.

There was every reason that score should have ended up how it was.
I'm not counting the last 2 Wings goals. Brodie was on the ice for 5 of the 6 goals against. Hamonic 4 of 6.

And while the Wings did clearly let up, the Flames dominated both the 1st and 2nd periods in terms of scoring chances and high danger scoring chances.

The special teams were awful, yes, and I even acknowledged in a previous post that we still might have ended up losing the game, but the point of my post that you quoted was that the person I was quoting said Smith wouldn't have fared any better, which is false considering Lack made 0 big saves.

Brodie, Hamonic and Lack were BY FAR our worst players last night. Absolutely no question about that.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:36 PM   #465
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Attitude reflect leadership.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #466
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Two of the best methods of team building are line brawls and team benders.

The line brawl is out of the way now and you could see the camaraderie between the guys, particularly the reactions by Hamonic, Monahan, and Ferland. The fact the reactions resulted from a relatively junior member of the squad getting mugged only strengthens things.

Now, with two nights off, a schedule that isn't too favourable for an on-the-road party night over the next couple months, and a noon Friday practice, Thursday night would have been a great candidate to round up the whole squad and get after it. Rookie party?

I expect the team will show up as a group that has more tightly bonded and with an us vs. them attitude the rest of the way.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #467
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

100% agree. They're going to wreck the Flyers.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #468
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. Much better than slinking off the ice with their collective tails between their legs. The last two goals don't even count because of the crap penalties given out (I hope the Brouwer got his money's worth when he said whatever he said).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote