Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #301
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
The pretty easy solution to not engaging in a political debate is to just not post your opinion. Are you suggesting that the political threads should just be hot take after hot take without any kind of scrutiny or back and forth? Bad and unsupported ideas should just be left unchallenged because "everyone has a right to their own opinion?" Would you apply the same standard to me if I popped up in FoI and repeated some ridiculous mantra about Matt Stajan being a better player than McDavid?

I get not wanting to take the time to respond to one of CHL's or New Era's dissertations, but no one is forcing anyone to. When I see a wall of text, I tend to just scroll past it even if I was already engaging the poster prior to that. I don't really see the debates on CP as competitions, but if they somehow see a non-response to their essays as a win, then good for them.
I wasn’t talking about you at all rube.

I have no problem for debate and calling people out for ridiculous positions, but this board has gotten to the point where if I see a social or political topic I wouldn’t mind discussing I don’t even bother because I already know who will be there posting their own social agenda 50+ times repeating the same long and Drawn out arguments from the other ten threads they’ve been posting in that day. Look at the Brian Burke thread. What started as a discussion about the Toronto media was derailed into another arena debate and whomever may support a new arena is in the Flames pockettype of rhetoric. Derailed by the same people who derail Every non-sporting thread who never make an appearance on the FOI forum otherwise.It’s absoutely nauseating at this point and I know quite a few long term posters who have left because of it.

This is basically a sports forum, and a lot of sports fans are going to view the world pretty similarly. I guess I don’t understand why people want to come here to discuss politics and argue with the masses over and over again. I think they are just looking for someone to argue with. I don’t think those type of people are worth losing posters over or causing friction with mods due to their trolling.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #302
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have nothing really to add here other than other sites, not forums necessarily just hide images by default. It’s like the “img” tag comes preconfigured to always be spoiler tag with it as well. Maybe having an extra tag to have to unspoiler something would give people enough pause to think whether the image is worth posting.

For other moderation aspects, I guess there is a line to just doing the job and satisfying some people who want to be snoopy and know why somebody was banned. I guess I can be curious too, but it doesn’t keep me up at night knowing which specific post got peter or mmf or jfk banned. It would be nice if reported posts though were acknowledged somehow if they were followed through or if the post was not worth reporting. How many reported posts do mods get anyway?
Old 11-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #303
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
MRC ticks off a half dozen 'diversity' boxes all on his own. Plus I'm led to understand that he fights crime in his spare time but thats just pure conjecture.
You've seen me running around town in my lycra & cape?
Old 11-16-2017, 07:40 PM   #304
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
You've seen me running around town in my lycra & cape?
Twice in fact. Unfortunately the second time was sufficiently far away from Halloween that I could no longer afford you the benefit of the doubt...

Happy New Year....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #305
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 11-16-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #306
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you mods, for putting up with our daily crap.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #307
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be nice to see some of the mods thank those who thank them.

I guess it is a thankless job
The Following User Says Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #308
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
It would be nice to see some of the mods thank those who thank them.

I guess it is a thankless job
I've been trying to thank each post. I appreciate when anyone takes the time to say thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #309
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
I've been trying to thank each post. I appreciate when anyone takes the time to say thanks.
Yup me too. It is nice to hear the support.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #310
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Its a thankless job but everyone is saying thanks. Dammit, how does that work?
Old 11-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #311
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t believe how big this thread got in such a short period of time. Mods do a hell of a thankless job. Don’t change a thing. Not much else to say.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #312
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
How many reported posts do mods get anyway?
That's really impossible to answer. It just varies so much. On slow days and in the off-season we can get zero, during the hockey season and specifically during a passionate time (ie. a Flames loss) we can get anywhere from 5 upwards. Sorry for not being able to give an exact number, but it does vary. We do like days when there are zero, though
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #313
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

What happened to Jiri? Have not seen him around
Old 11-16-2017, 08:53 PM   #314
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been here pretty much since the start. Pretty happy with how things go here. As has been said a ton, it's a thankless job. Appreciate what you guys do.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #315
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Look up 4 posts
Old 11-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #316
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
He moved to Mexico and now goes by the name Jorje
Good riddance. The guy was arrogant and abusive.
Handsome devil though. I will give him that.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 09:13 PM   #317
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
He moved to Mexico and now goes by the name Jorje
Good riddance. The guy was arrogant and abusive.
Handsome devil though. I will give him that.
Reported.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:59 PM   #318
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Havnt been on the site for a few weeks, looks like I missed all the fireworks
The mods have a thankless volunteer job. Fans like most but also carry a whistle, it's a fine line.

I think if more members conduct less of the wolf pack mentality towards others they disagree with it would make the mods lives here a lot more easier.
Let's have a good season around here.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #319
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't post here anymore, for many reasons mentioned in this thread. I look at the silly bickering in the Mangiapane thread and wonder if it's worth lurking here either. I'm not the type to complain without taking action, so I simply won't post or visit this site if I'm not satisfied with its service. Quit frankly, I'd much rather follow guys like AC and Sureloss on twitter than to have to scroll through the unproductive arguments that take place on this site.

By that I mean the constant accusations of being an Oilers fan, Troll, or personal attacks by a group who cannot accept criticism towards the team or its personnel. I get this is really a Flames fan only site, so a lot of people get overly defensive about any criticism towards "their team", because they are just that; fanatics who hold an extreme position and identity towards the Flames hockey club. However, not every people who favors the Flames above all teams suffer from this condition. Some people can watch other teams, like players on other organizations, and do not take criticisms towards the team as a personal attack on their identity.

To be honest, discussion is one thing, but a moderator's job should be to foster and enforce healthy and constructive discussion. When moderator's join this extremist perspective, I question if they are the right fit for the role. A leader should be the best of the group, especially when tasked with enforcement and judiciary duties of site rules. When moderator's themselves cannot see that not every fan fits this homer narrative, then it's clear they're not leaders in healthy discussion. When illogical insults are not deleted, it's safe to assume the moderator's accept it themselves.

I cannot assume that it's the fault of the moderators though. It could be site mandate to make this a place where critics are disciplined, whether administratively or socially. Therefore I simply don't engage anymore. I do, however, emplor all of you to examine yourselves and question whether a sport played by the extreme wealthy that is irrelevant to your own lives is worth lowering yourselves to the behaviour of children with pety insults and attacks on a benign screen in front of anonymous strangers.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #320
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I look at the silly bickering in the Mangiapane thread and wonder if it's worth lurking here either.
I too question everything, sometimes even my existence, when I see a string of terrible puns.
Closed Thread