Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who should the Flames pick at 6th overall?
Chychrun 78 16.49%
Juolevi 30 6.34%
Sergachev 26 5.50%
Nylander 242 51.16%
Jost 21 4.44%
Brown 30 6.34%
Keller 6 1.27%
Bean 4 0.85%
McLeod 9 1.90%
Jones 1 0.21%
McAvoy 0 0%
Fabbro 2 0.42%
Gauthier 7 1.48%
Robtsov 0 0%
Other (specify) 17 3.59%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #41
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

weird to see such a gap between chychrun and nylander. i'm curious if folks think nylander is the BPA or just don't want a defence man at all costs

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #42
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not going to pretend to know enough about these players to suggest who the Flames should take. I'll leave the debate to those that actually watch these guys regularly (and I bet there are like 5 people on this entire forum who do that). The only thing I can add is that we aren't so strong yet in our prospect pool that we draft according to need. This should almost always be the case anyway, but you take the BPA.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #43
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Wow, didn't think Nylander would run away with it like this.

Interesting.
The average fan loves skill, flash and offense. Nylander makes a lot of sense to appeal to the masses.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2016, 11:54 AM   #44
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Tkachuk
Old 05-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #45
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Kind of surprised that people wouldn't be more excited about Chychrun. I will preface by saying I haven't watched any of these guys play... only read the reports. But Dubois was ranked #7 in mid term ISS for NA skaters (https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-central...kings/c-797902) and neither him nor Tkachuk sound overwhelming in their attribute set. Also, I would argue winger is about the easiest position to fill through UFA or trade.

Again, from what I've read, Chychrun for over a year has been considered if not the best very close to the top defenseman in the draft. He is big, good two ways, and reportedly has a heavy shot. Are people still scared off by the failure of the J Bo, Phaneuf and Regehr combo? I would argue J Bo and Phaneuf weren't that good, and Regehr was well past prime.

Having a top flight and deep defense corps is very tough to build and even tougher to play against. Who knows how much longer Giordano will be this good for. Brodie and Hamilton still have greater potential, are fantastic players, but are still more offense than defense. It seems to me Edmonton and Vancouver SHOULD draft Chychrun, but if they don't it seems we should be all over it. Tell me what I'm missing...
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #46
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sergachev or Brown.

Sergachev seems more NHL ready than the other two potential top D, and the question marks around Chychrun's hockey sense are a concern. Could be the best d-man in the draft.

Brown is a fast-riser who I'd be willing to bet the Flames are high on. Brings two-way play, professionalism, and size.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #47
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Defencemen aren't the sexy pick. They take longer to develop. I can see why the average fan would prefer a goal scoring winger. As for the ease of acquiring wingers it depends what style they play. Goal scorers are actually not that hard to trade for. Complimentary powerforwards are probably harder to trade for.

Why are you using the central scouting midterm rankings? That's old, outdated information. The final CSS rankings are out. Dubois was #1 in NA on the final rankings.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #48
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Defencemen aren't the sexy pick. They take longer to develop. I can see why the average fan would prefer a goal scoring winger. As for the ease of acquiring wingers it depends what style they play. Goal scorers are actually not that hard to trade for. Complimentary powerforwards are probably harder to trade for.

Why are you using the central scouting midterm rankings? That's old, outdated information. The final CSS rankings are out. Dubois was #1 in NA on the final rankings.
The point I was making with the mid-term rankings was just that he was consistently the top or among top NA defensemen. It's a little more reassuring than someone who flew up the boards in just the final ranking... that was the reason I posted mid-year rankings.

You are right in saying power forwards are tougher to acquire but they probably also bust more frequently. Also, how necessary are they? Chicago, Pitt, Tampa... many teams do well without them.

I guess in the end I wouldn't really draft on position for the Flames, outside of scoring line center, they can pretty much use any position. And trying to fill 'need' with a 17 year old sounds like failure to me...
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #49
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
With the big three out of the picture, Tkachuk. He's the best fit for this team.
I don't understand why, unless Tkachuk were clearly the BPA, which he isn't.
It's not like we're lacking LWers. Dubois, Nylander, Jost or even Gauthier both fill a need and could arguably be the BPA over Tkachuk.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #50
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to see one of 2 extremes...

Option A : Treliving moves the pick in a conservative play... shorting the development curve by picking up an established, Top 6 winger... ideally, a RW to play on the top line.

I'm not sure which players might make sense, necessarily... but maybe someone like Brendan Gallagher, TJ Oshie, Mark Stone, Blake Wheeler or Wayne Simmonds (and I'm not necessarily thinking 1-for-1 trade, here... just the concept)

Option B : Treliving keeps the pick and swings for the fences... they take the player they feel has the highest potential upside, even if there's some risk involved.

Either approach is fine with me... I'd rather BT not make a safe pick at #6 by taking a forward or D without dominant top line upside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #51
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
It's not like we're lacking LWers. Dubois, Nylander, Jost or even Gauthier both fill a need and could arguably be the BPA over Tkachuk.
Tkachuk and Dubois are the only players outside of the big 3 that are consistently ranked in the top 6 in virtually every publication.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #52
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pick the prospect that is going to be the best player in 5 years, not the best player right now. This NHL ready stuff is garbage. That is Oiler drafting strategy.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:42 PM   #53
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Pick the prospect that is going to be the best player in 5 years, not the best player right now. This NHL ready stuff is garbage. That is Oiler drafting strategy.
Well, that's how we ended up with Monahan.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #54
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully there are only so many chance to add the bigger more aggressive players to compliment the small core the Flame will have signed up long term going forward.

Core Flames that will be on the team for at least the next 4 years:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Frolik, Gio, Brodie, Hamilton,

These guys will account for around 30M in cap for the next 4 or more years or 40%.

There also is Bennett, who if he plays as well as expected, will be adding another 5-6M to long term core cap...this time next year.. bringing it close to 50% of the teams cap.

Out of the 7 the only Hamilton and Bennett has make-up to be above average in the truculence department.

This 6th pick is a chance to address a glaring need in the Flames core. It is far less risky to pick a Mcleod or Logan Brown or one of the more physical d-man than to sign Lucic or Okposo or Backes to expensive long-term deals as has been suggested as a remedy to the Flames truculence problems. It has a higher degree of probable success of hoping that a lesser talent (Bouma, Colborne, Ferland, Hunter Smith, Kanzig) grows into a top line player with an edge.

Bottom line IMHO - Flames can not and will not draft Nylander or Keller or Juolevi with their #6 pick
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #55
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

The results of this poll don't really surprise me. Fans want a forward.

Assuming those 5 are gone, the next one in line is Nylander although some of the d prospects are considered to be in that 6-9 range as well.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #56
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
Except that Tkachuk is consistently ranked ahead of Nylander, Jost and Gauthier by every scouting publication so yes, he and Dubois would likely be the best player available if they are there at #6. Tkachuk and Dubois also bring a blend of size, strength, skill and power that the Flames desperately need up front. So not only would Tkachuk/Dubois likely be the BPA but also fit our needs extremely well.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #57
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be okay with Nylander, but his U-18 performance put a wrinkle in my yearning for him as a top 6 guy. Like Previously stated, he played like soft room temp butter in that tournament. But it could have been he was just worn down form playing much more hockey than he is used to over the course of a season.

The year before he played what looks like a total of 68 games. Not bad and a decent workload, but this year he played a total of 92 gp with OHL Playoffs included. Proabably burnt out near the end.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #58
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I think that's just his style. Nylander is a purely skilled finesse forward. He's going to look soft because he's not a banger. And I think that's why some of us are wary of him. Flames need some jam and power injected into the top 6 forwards to compliment the existing skill and existing game breaking talent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #59
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For me, get either Chychrun or Sergachev if Dubrois is chosen
sharkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:13 PM   #60
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I think that's just his style. Nylander is a purely skilled finesse forward. He's going to look soft because he's not a banger. And I think that's why some of us are wary of him. Flames need some jam and power injected into the top 6 forwards to compliment the existing skill and existing game breaking talent.
Is it really though? Ive seen highlights where he goes in and fights for pucks in his highlight reels, something he flat out didn't do in the tournament. Add to that, that the scouts we fans mostly rely on have in the majority said he is a grittier player than his brother, I don't know exactly if he is that soft consistently. That being said, I am more leery of him now than I was before the U-18's.

Maybe he didn't want to get hurt in this tournament. Maybe he is a softie. Who knows what reasons lie behind the curtain.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote