Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #121
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Well, yes, you are the one "smelling" or "not smelling" Lack's confidence—meaning you sense that he either has it or he does not.
That’s not what that means. It means I don’t feel confident when I assess. I’m making no statement of his own confidence in himself.

Quote:
If what you meant to say is that Lack does not produce or reinforce your own confidence, then you need to use a different idiom. You should have said, "Lack does not illicit confidence," or something of the like sort.

That is fine. But when you incorrectly use idioms it becomes difficult to know what you are trying to say.
No. You need to understand the idiom. Show me a literary example where reeks is used in the manner you are suggesting. It’s a sense someone gets about something. You are wrong. Don’t dig in here.

Quote:
I am sorry you feel attacked as a poster. I am not sure why, since I don't think I have ever impugned anything beyond the content of your posts. When I see things that I strongly disagree with or are flat out wrong, I have a tendency to want to respond. Your two posts that I have called out have just happened to get caught in those crosshairs.
Nothing I am saying is, as you put it, wrong. It’s contrary maybe to your everlasting ra-ra attitude, but my points are as legitimate as yours. And your holier than thou attitude really sinks when you fail at your own game.

Quote:
My apologies for causing any offence.
I appreciate this. I would ask you take a minute before you hit post and consider that the people you are arguing with are not your enemies, but other invested fans of the team we are all discussing.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #122
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
That’s not what that means. It means I don’t feel confident when I assess. I’m making no statement of his own confidence in himself.

No. You need to understand the idiom. Show me a literary example where reeks is used in the manner you are suggesting...
“The house reeks of onions.” This is probably because it is filled with onions.

“That man reeks of pot.” I hear this one often from my kids who are hypersensitive to marijuana use.

“The garden reeks of rotten vegetables.” This happens in the late summer when crops spoil.

The word as it appears is a noun; in the verbal form it is intransitive.

...And incidentally, it would seem that Lack really does not have any confidence at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 11-15-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #123
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Whoa... came for Game Takes and realized I was in the wrong thread.. Bad wrong turn. Yikes!!
Closed Thread

Tags
go flams go , i want pizza , respect da' legend bubba , win