Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #21
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray1 View Post
Wow, enough hate on this forum for the guy? He is close to a point per game player still and has very good passing skills.

Sure things went a little sour with his time here thanks to Keenan(wow surprise not...) but he is still a good player, hell even his 58 points playing with Conroy and Nolan was pretty darn respectable.

Not to rehash all that again, but he wasn't demoted to the 2nd line until the 3rd week of December. Most of his points were put up on the first line with Iginla and Langkow, and he went on to be useless on the 2nd line where he was expected to raise the level for the players on that line. That is what you should expect from a player making $5.375 million. Maybe you can let a $3.5 million player get away with that, not not one making what Tanguay was.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #22
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufenstein View Post
I like Tanguay too, he wasn't used properly under Keenan and actually scored quite a bit of goals for the Habs last year. Naturally he's more of playmaker than scorer, and his passing skills are awesome. He should fetch 4-5 mil somewhere
I agree, the media and coaches strictly told him to pass the puck to Iginla. "Iginla needs a playmaker on his line" was what 90% of media and fans were saying so Tanguay was always looking for where Iginla was. In 07-08 Tanguay did exactly that and therefore Iginla got 50 goals, so I would say he did exactly what he was asked to do.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #23
C-ero
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Had Sutter not said that, then we probably wouldn't have gotten a 1st and 2nd round picks from the Habs.
C-ero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #24
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

He might have been a No 1 LWer when he was in Colorado, but he hasn't been since. (no not even his 77 pt season) In Colorado, he was dynamite - moved the puck real well; made plays, made defenders look foolish by holding the puck till the last possible second, then making a beauty pass; clutch in the playoffs; skated with a purpose and really used his vision to pressure the puck and take away time and space. He was one of my favourite non Flames before he got acquired.

Since leaving Colorado, he hasn't been a player that makes plays for himself; he hasn't taken looked confident at all like he did in Colorado (no not even his 77 pt season); he hasn't been gold on the PP looking like a puck dishing wizard; his passes have been erratic and low percentage passes; more then anything, he wasn't making plays at all. I don't know what happened, but he just seemed to lose that ability to make the wave.

IMO $3.5M player at best, until he shows he can regain that Colorado touch. Until then, he looks like a bit of a lazy floater. (ya ya ya i know, he played well defensively)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #25
CN10
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I think Tanguay would be a good fit in Atlanta if he is able to convert to RW. They could use a play maker for Kovalchuk. Also the SE Division is notoriously soft/weak at defending. If he's smart he takes a one year 4M$ contract there and then profits next year after putting up a boatload of assists alongside one of the best goal scorers in the league in the division with the worst overall defense.
CN10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #26
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
He might have been a No 1 LWer when he was in Colorado, but he hasn't been since. (no not even his 77 pt season) In Colorado, he was dynamite - moved the puck real well; made plays, made defenders look foolish by holding the puck till the last possible second, then making a beauty pass; clutch in the playoffs; skated with a purpose and really used his vision to pressure the puck and take away time and space. He was one of my favourite non Flames before he got acquired.

Since leaving Colorado, he hasn't been a player that makes plays for himself; he hasn't taken looked confident at all like he did in Colorado (no not even his 77 pt season); he hasn't been gold on the PP looking like a puck dishing wizard; his passes have been erratic and low percentage passes; more then anything, he wasn't making plays at all. I don't know what happened, but he just seemed to lose that ability to make the wave.

IMO $3.5M player at best, until he shows he can regain that Colorado touch. Until then, he looks like a bit of a lazy floater. (ya ya ya i know, he played well defensively)
In his 81 point season? (06-07 81 Ga 22G 59A 81P)

Other than that, yes to your point. He is a much less dynamic player now than when he was with Colorado.
prizefighterinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #27
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prizefighterinferno View Post
In his 81 point season? (06-07 81 Ga 22G 59A 81P)

Other than that, yes to your point. He is a much less dynamic player now than when he was with Colorado.
yes 81, why did i keep thinking it was 77?
Old 07-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #28
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Probably because Langkow and Huselius both had 77 point seasons that year. Tanguay has also had a 77 point season early in his career. One of those reasons, maybe?
prizefighterinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #29
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

This conversation makes you realize how much Huselius truly hit paydirt last year (and how much the market is changing).
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #30
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray1 View Post
Wow, enough hate on this forum for the guy? He is close to a point per game player still and has very good passing skills.

Sure things went a little sour with his time here thanks to Keenan(wow surprise not...) but he is still a good player, hell even his 58 points playing with Conroy and Nolan was pretty darn respectable.

As was mentioned he had shoulder surgery and has had problems with his other shoulder as well. He and GMs are probably just playing it safe and waiting to see if everything is going to be top notch. He is the kind of player that would fit perfectly on our top line dishing pucks to Jokinen and Iginla but we can't afford him.
+1

Reading some of the posts lately you would think that one half of the league is soft and other half overrated. I guess calling every other player "soft" and whatnot makes people feel like true hard nosed blood on their face hockey fans who are the only one who knows what's up...
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #31
mrdonkey
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tanguay was too soft and too weak mentally to be an effective Sutter player. I liked what he did for Iginla but I won't miss him. Too many nights I found myself frustrated with his complete refusal to shoot the puck even if presented with a wide open net.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #32
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
maybe because 7 seems to be a popular number?

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #33
JustAnotherGuy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

IMO Tanguay is a very talented player. He is best suited to be the 4-6 player on a teams depth chart. With that he should be payed accordingly. In that situation he can play on my team anytime. My team as in the team that I cheer for.

I have a question. Some posters on this thread are saying they know what Tanguay is asking for in regard to salary. How do these posters know this?
JustAnotherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #34
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Tanguay was too soft and too weak mentally to be an effective Sutter player. I liked what he did for Iginla but I won't miss him. Too many nights I found myself frustrated with his complete refusal to shoot the puck even if presented with a wide open net.
Makarov II
Old 07-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Tanguay didn't play soft. He competed hard most nights and while he was guilty of not shooting the puck often enough so has pretty well every player paired with Iginla. He's soft mentally but IMO he competed on the ice. He's a good player but it just didn't work out here and it's worth noting that it was two years under two different coaches. First year under Playfair he put up very good numbers but Keenan didn't take a liking to him and that was that. Starting to sound a lot like Oiler fans dissing every ex-flame that didn't work out.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #36
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Tanguay didn't play soft. He competed hard most nights and while he was guilty of not shooting the puck often enough so has pretty well every player paired with Iginla. He's soft mentally but IMO he competed on the ice. He's a good player but it just didn't work out here and it's worth noting that it was two years under two different coaches. First year under Playfair he put up very good numbers but Keenan didn't take a liking to him and that was that. Starting to sound a lot like Oiler fans dissing every ex-flame that didn't work out.
I don't know which board you read, but around here, we're pretty famous for the Bring Back Player X threads. You're right that Tanguay didn't work out. Because he's overrated and wasn't a top liner in Calgary and the coach didn't like him so he got all sad and requested a trade. And yeah, refused to shoot the damn puck. Good riddance.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #37
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
We sure could use a goal scorer in Abbotsford.
Sadly that's not Tanguay...unless your suggesting he pass the puck into the net....
Old 07-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #38
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I don't know which board you read, but around here, we're pretty famous for the Bring Back Player X threads. You're right that Tanguay didn't work out. Because he's overrated and wasn't a top liner in Calgary and the coach didn't like him so he got all sad and requested a trade. And yeah, refused to shoot the damn puck. Good riddance.
No we are famous for wanting to bring back middle of the road players.

Funny he was a top liner until Keenan was head coach. As well he requested a trade within months of his first season yet played two years without being a distraction just in case you didn't know.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #39
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

another case of a second tier player who should be paid as a second tier player (3.5-4.5 million). He could have gotten a lot more on the open market before he joined CGY, but now he's sort of been figured out.

Don't get me wrong, he will be paid 5.5 or more, by a gm somewhere, but there just won't be the kind of mad rush on these kind of players this year.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #40
Bibtin Tex
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tanguay >>>> Huselius

Keenan really misused him, he would then bench Juice (why?) and still play Tangs on our "2nd line". I really like Tanguay, but he doesn't fit on this team anymore so bringing him back should not be an option. I wish him the best of luck in finding a new team and doing great there.
Bibtin Tex is offline   Reply With Quote