Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
Rejean31
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon59 Oilers Stauffer Rips on Kotalik

Do the Edmonton Oilers never learn. Right on the front page of the Oilers NHL site

http://oilers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=436702

Bob Stauffer basically tells the whole world that Ales Kotalik is not very good. And being on the Oilers official site that must mean that Oilers brass approved the article. Now ask yourself, what good can possibly come of trashing a player on his way out of town. Doesn't that team have at least one person working for them that understands public relations? Did we see any articles on the Flames NHL site trashing Cammallari the day he left town. Nope, because all that would do is leave the player leaving with a bad taste in his mouth about the city. The Oilers should understand that players talk amongst themselves about how management, fans and the press have treated players in certain cities and right now I'd say Edmonton ranks at the very bottom of destinations to play for this very reason.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
Akai-Sesui
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Vicious circle; Alot of people are still very bitter about Heatley not wanting to play in Edmonton...that bitterness translates into more bitterness when someone else doesn't sign with the Oilers.
The marketing angle of "We'll give you lots of money" isn't working...and the angle that they value their players isn't working either; when someone leaves town and they get trashed on the way out, that doesn't exactly show appreciation.
Akai-Sesui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha ha stupid Oilers!
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't see where he mentioned that Kotalik isn't good. He said he was a 2nd line, complementary player (which is fair IMO) and wondered if it would have cost Edmonton more than $3 million to stay compared to the Rangers offer. Hardly ripping on him.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
FurnaceFace
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Doesn't that team have at least one person working for them that understands public relations?
Yes there is, but he's a hat Crosby wears so he doesn't get much say.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.
_________________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

With all due respect to Ales, he is a complimentary player who is at best a second line forward and he is 30 years old, and that combination hardly makes him a steal at three million per season.

We also don’t know what the Kotalik camp was looking for to remain in Edmonton, but given the history of free agency since in the lock-out is it too much of a reach to suggest that it may have been north of the three million per he “settled” for in New York?

Where does he trash Kotalik in that?
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OILFAN #81 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's what I was trying to figure out...
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought Kotalik's issue was with the extra year the Rangers offered up? I'm happy they didn't offer that 3rd year considering the dysfunctional cap mess Lowe left in his wake. He's not worth that contract.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #9
NHL009
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Talk about a trollish title lol. Nothing in there about ripping the guy.
NHL009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it wasn't a trashing at all. Perhaps the OP was thrown by the title of the article: Stauffer Sounds Off on Kotalik and Heatley.

I thought his comments about the Oilers still pursuing Heatley were more interesting.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

The article doesn't really rip into him directly, but the tone of the writing isn't that complimentary - especially for a public and official web site. Here's an example:

Quote:
However a few things conspired against Kotalik remaining with the Oilers, including Kotalik himself.
I understand that Stauffer is a color analyst for the Oilers and contributor to CHED. But on a first read I didn't know that. I assumed he was apart of the management team.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pretty unprofessional article if you ask me. He may not be ripping him directly saying "Kotalik sucks" but saying he's a second line player at best on an official site of the team that's not proper IMO.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
Kjesse
First Line Centre
formerly Delgar

Exp:

I think the article is an unwarranted diss on Kotalik. The purpose of that part of the article is to talk down Kotalik's value in an effort to prop up management and make excuses for the Oilers not retaining his services.

Stauffer is not a reporter, he's a shill for the Oilers' management. So on that level this should be expected. The problem for the Oilers is, this only reinforces what a lot of players reportedly think-- which is, Oilers' management treats its players poorly and won't hesitate to put down a current or former player to prop themselves up.

They are masters of the low road.

Contrast to the Flames' approach (King, Sutter and others)... always the high road even if there are shrewd dealings behind the scene.

Last edited by Kjesse; 07-10-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
Rejean31
First Line Centre

Exp:

He played well, clearly benefitting from chemistry with the Oilers top forward, fellow Czech-mate Ales Hemsky, and also capitalizing on a big night with Sam Gagner against an injury-depleted Colorado Avalanche. As a result there certainly was a sentiment from a large percentage of Oilers fans that that the team should step up to bring him back.

I don't know but it seems to be a back-handed compliment if anything. I listened to Stauffer on the radio last night and he was saying that Kotalik really only had one real good night with the Oilers and that was against the injury depleted Avalanche and even them he seemed to think that good night was more of Sam Gagners doing than it was Kotaliks.

I just laugh at how the press in Edmonton acts like every player the Oilers aqquire is like the second coming of Gretzky and the minute the player leaves the city they are like buzzards picking at the body.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #15
Flaming Lips
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I didn't see a problem in the article either. Seemed pretty benign, and I would think that Kotalik (if he happened to read it) wouldn't have a problem with it. I don't think he thinks he's a definite first line player either, or he wouldn't have been traded for a 2nd round pick nor be asking for around $3M per year.

FL
Flaming Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #16
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: Hoping Timmy Thomas and The Hockey Gods stop a soccer team from winning The Stanley Cup.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL009 View Post
Talk about a trollish title lol. Nothing in there about ripping the guy.
Really? I thought there were a lot of backhanded comments throughout that article.

He played well, clearly benefitting from chemistry with the Oilers top forward, fellow Czech-mate Ales Hemsky, and also capitalizing on a big night with Sam Gagner against an injury-depleted Colorado Avalanche. As a result there certainly was a sentiment from a large percentage of Oilers fans that that the team should step up to bring him back.

Hahaha, yeah clearly it was all Hemsky, and then the injury riddled Colorado Avalanche that made Kotalik have any success. If Kotalik would have been signed by the stinkin' Oilers would those statements have been printed? Not bloody likely.

The Oilers also believe they also have some fine young forward prospects coming down the pipe including first-rounderísí Jordan Eberle and Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson along with You Tube sensation Linus Omark.

I lol'd.

Edmonton will need room and opportunity for at least one of these players moving forward, Kotalik could have potentially muddied that picture even further.

Suck it back Oilers fans, Kotalik was trying to sabotage your team, good thing he escaped.

EDIT: I see Rejean beat me to the punch, but its not hard to recognize backhanded statements throughout this article.

Backlund for Selke 2017
Oilers suck.

Last edited by CsInMyBlood; 07-10-2009 at 05:05 PM.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #17
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Just angry that they don't have a respectable team, organization, etc etc.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #18
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kotalik really isn't that good. I take trips down to Buffalo for Sabres games every once in a while, and people would just get frustrated with the guy all the time. All he really has going for him is his big shot.
Dogbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #19
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't think Kotalik and his $9M gives a hoot about what Stauffer or the Oil think about what he's worth.
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #20
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Of Liberty View Post
I don't think Kotalik and his $9M gives a hoot about what Stauffer or the Oil think about what he's worth.
i'm sure he doesn't, but when every ex-Oiler gets a negative spin put on them by the media and the organization itself, i'm sure players look at that when free agency time comes. Bouwmeester himself said as much about why he wouldn't sign with Edmonton

they never learn
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote