Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-12-2017, 03:32 AM   #21
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Yeah that's the only story we are judging the United States on. It possibly can't be the countless other things wrong with the States.
Don't judge a whole nation based on the actions of a few.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 04:43 AM   #22
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Trump just got elected. It's not just a "few".
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 06:44 AM   #23
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Says the guy engaging in whataboutism, a Soviet propaganda technique adored by American white supremacists at the moment.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:58 AM   #24
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's an idea Antifa can use for the racists' next tiki-torch protest - Gasoline in Super Soakers.
Dogbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:13 AM   #25
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cannot imagine Trump not putting out some token statement against this white supremacist bro rally, but just imagine if he doesn't. Also we must remember these people are really just economically anxious, when they get jobs again this will go away.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #26
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Trump just got elected. It's not just a "few".
And it has been pointed out that not all Trump supporters are white supremacists and treating them as such is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Says the guy engaging in whataboutism, a Soviet propaganda technique adored by American white supremacists at the moment.
That wasn't a whataboutism. A direct comparison between two exact scenarios is not a whataboutism. It is also not making an excuse for the behavior of these racists. It is about showing that you should never try and link the fringe element with the majority of people, who do not engage nor support such beliefs, and that the fringe can exist even in a liberal utopia like Canada, and a perfect city, like Calgary.

I would also like to point out that this public march took place on a university campus when it is pretty much deserted. I'd like to seem them try that again in a month when classes are in full swing. I suspect you would see a much different reaction from the true majority.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #27
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Italians standing with the Irish, Slavics standing with Anglo-Saxons.

It's nice to see people finally uniting like this. They've been at odds for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:21 AM   #28
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

There was a KKK rally there last month IIRC, they were tear gassed in an effort to break things up. Not sure why last night/this weekend isn't seeing a similar response if there is a threat of violence....which always is the way these things end.

The whole thing is so stupid as the "controversy" that started all this is an effort to remove a statue of Robert E Lee from the grounds of the university.

Nothing like trying to bury your history to rile some people up I guess.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:24 AM   #29
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Confederate statues are like, the most pathetic thing ever. Imagine if there was a big statue downtown with the plaque "2004 Western Conference Champion Jarome Iginla".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #30
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
There was a KKK rally there last month IIRC, they were tear gassed in an effort to break things up. Not sure why last night/this weekend isn't seeing a similar response if there is a threat of violence....which always is the way these things end.

The whole thing is so stupid as the "controversy" that started all this is an effort to remove a statue of Robert E Lee from the grounds of the university.

Nothing like trying to bury your history to rile some people up I guess.
There was no police reaction because there was very little protest to the march. The campus is pretty empty right now, so the numbers to counter were limited. As a result, no need for use of dispersion tactics.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:38 AM   #31
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
There was no police reaction because there was very little protest to the march. The campus is pretty empty right now, so the numbers to counter were limited. As a result, no need for use of dispersion tactics.
Was the campus full a month ago? There was violence last night as well.

At any rate, this rally/march is perfectly legal under the First Amendment, and trying to shut it down would be met with legal action from a variety of sources.

It's trying to stop such rallies when things tend to go really wrong and people get hurt on both sides. I say let em march and just ignore them. They crave attention...don't give it to them.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:40 AM   #32
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I cannot imagine Trump not putting out some token statement against this white supremacist bro rally, but just imagine if he doesn't. Also we must remember these people are really just economically anxious, when they get jobs again this will go away.
I don't think Trump has made any statements about any other activities of white supremacists and neo-nazis, so I doubt he does here either. They are both the kind of people that voted for him and who are not the "enemy" he trying to make Americans fear.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #33
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

History is a tricky thing. The federal government unveiled statues of the Famous Five on parliament hill less than 20 years ago. Besides their achievements in championing women's rights in the country, they happened to be enthusiastic advocates of eugenics, and successfully lobbied to keep non-whites out of Canada, while sterilizing the destitute, mentally ill, and feeble-minded. No doubt there will be a demand some day (if there hasn't already) that the statues be taken down.

Of course, the people carrying the torches are still idiots.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 07:57 AM   #34
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Was the campus full a month ago? There was violence last night as well.

At any rate, this rally/march is perfectly legal under the First Amendment, and trying to shut it down would be met with legal action from a variety of sources.

It's trying to stop such rallies when things tend to go really wrong and people get hurt on both sides. I say let em march and just ignore them. They crave attention...don't give it to them.
The KKK rally was at the downtown Mall not UVA. It was scheduled and permitted and attracted a lot of counter protests. Last night was s surprise demonstration with no permit and was eventually broken up as an unlawful gathering.

Today's rally is planned and looks to be a lot larger.

It should be noted that Charlottesville is a very liberal city and these are all being organized by out if town groups. My girlfriend's son has to work at s restaurant on the downtown Mall today and is pretty concerned. The city is very upset at these but there is not much that can be done to stop it. That area has a tonne of restaurants and shops that will all be closed or empty again today.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #35
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
The KKK rally was at the downtown Mall not UVA. It was scheduled and permitted and attracted a lot of counter protests. Last night was s surprise demonstration with no permit and was eventually broken up as an unlawful gathering.

Today's rally is planned and looks to be a lot larger.

It should be noted that Charlottesville is a very liberal city and these are all being organized by out if town groups. My girlfriend's son has to work at s restaurant on the downtown Mall today and is pretty concerned. The city is very upset at these but there is not much that can be done to stop it. That area has a tonne of restaurants and shops that will all be closed or empty again today.
Yeah i have been to Charlottesville...its a beautiful place and very much a laid back one from what i remember.

Much to the chagrin of certain posters here that wish to lump all "muricans" together, it's hardly a bastion of hatred/racism.

As for the rallies from last month and today...wouldn't it be more dangerous to see these clowns in an enclosed space such as a mall? Though it does sound like todays "event" will be considerably larger, it seems like having them in a big open area is preferable regardless of the size.

Hopefully there is little in the way of violence. Though that is never the case when these guys get face to face opposition...which only emboldens them more.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:13 AM   #36
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
I agree with everything you said but I'm also a non-white dude from Canada. I think there are many southern whites who truly do feel like their history and identity are being taken away. The removal of Confederate flags and statues and monuments is happening. Public parks and schools and streets and other institutions named after heroes of the Confederacy are being renamed. No doubt some of those protesting these changes are racists but many of those have valid concerns about their history being erased. It wouldn't surprise me if there are many protesters tonight who believe slavery was a terrible wrong but also have revered ancestors who fought for the Confederacy and just feel political correctness has gone too far.
Confederates were racist traitors. There should have never been statues to begin with. Their history deserves to be erased, mocked, looked down upon, etc. At a time when the world was progressing in regards to human rights, those people were so backwards that they started a war to try and defend such a shameful situation. The fact that we are still dealing with it shows that they should have been treated more harshly after the war for their treason.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 08:25 AM   #37
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Confederates were racist traitors. There should have never been statues to begin with. Their history deserves to be erased, mocked, looked down upon, etc. At a time when the world was progressing in regards to human rights, those people were so backwards that they started a war to try and defend such a shameful situation. The fact that we are still dealing with it shows that they should have been treated more harshly after the war for their treason.
All the more reason to treat them harshly now.

When a dog reacts to its surroundings with anger, hostility, and violence, we put it down. It's past time that these Nazis were treated the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogbert For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #38
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
All the more reason to treat them harshly now.

When a dog reacts to its surroundings with anger, hostility, and violence, we put it down. It's past time that these Nazis were treated the same.
I assume you mean kill them? Is that what you believe should happen?
Buck Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #39
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Murdock View Post
I assume you mean kill them? Is that what you believe should happen?
The only good Nazi is a dead Nazi.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogbert For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #40
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
The only good Nazi is a dead Nazi.
Someone's been playing too many WWII games.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: