Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #1361
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shot 85 from the back tees at Redwood this afternoon. Course is in amazing shape. I've never played from the tips there before but man, does it change some of the tee shots. Had a few pitch-outs from tree trouble on the front 9. Lots of long irons into greens. The par 3's still play pretty fair even from the back tees.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #1362
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's been a grind but I've finally reached my goal for the season of and index under 8. Took the round of the year (72 +2 on my home course) if not my career. Even had an strange 4 putt on our greens which rarely have a slope higher than 1%. Hopefully I didn't peak too early as I have my big 4 day tournament next week.

Figuring out what 1/2 swing and 3/4 swing wedge shots was the key. Always struggled from 100 and in as I tried to just go by feel.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #1363
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
It's been a grind but I've finally reached my goal for the season of and index under 8. Took the round of the year (72 +2 on my home course) if not my career. Even had an strange 4 putt on our greens which rarely have a slope higher than 1%. Hopefully I didn't peak too early as I have my big 4 day tournament next week.

Figuring out what 1/2 swing and 3/4 swing wedge shots was the key. Always struggled from 100 and in as I tried to just go by feel.
I have trouble with distance between 50 and 100 out. How did you work on it?

I'll often over or underhit with nice shots that I've sinply misjudged my swing speed for.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:54 PM   #1364
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I have trouble with distance between 50 and 100 out. How did you work on it?

I'll often over or underhit with nice shots that I've sinply misjudged my swing speed for.

Our chipping green is 50 yards away so I would spend my lunch hour just trying different wedges and take backs. Basically found the club I can take back the same distance/speed everytime to hit the correct distance. I used to play with my swing speed and would have the same issues as you, think I hit it perfect only to be way short of way long. Now I keep my swing speed the same on all my 100 and less shots, just don't take the same backswing. A couple days on the range/chipping green and found the sweet spots.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #1365
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've always treated (assuming a good lie) those 100-50 yard shots as pitches, which I play differently from a regular shot. Duh right? But I try to keep a more compact, inside the telephone booth type swing going and most of my weight on my front foot for most anything inside 110 yards. Pitches I don't go past a 3/4 swing. Open stance slightly. But really it comes down to feel and practicing those shots often. For me my biggest issue during spring golf is distance control, and playing more is the only thing that fixes it.

I'm still trying to break 80 though so take that with a grain of salt.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:24 PM   #1366
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some good tips above.

My 'feel' is having weight forward and then making sure I get my front shoulder out of the way through the shot. Arms only half wedges are bad news for consistent contact.

Try using different clubs too, it doesn't necessarily have to be a wedge.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #1367
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

sometimes a nice shot with your "hand" wedge can get you out of trouble, and it is such an easy shot to execute
Old 08-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #1368
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at golf town hitting some Callaway XR's last night. Really like them. Anyone have them or hit them before? What should I be looking for if I indeed decide to get them? Stiff or regular shafts (whats the difference)?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #1369
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I was at golf town hitting some Callaway XR's last night. Really like them. Anyone have them or hit them before? What should I be looking for if I indeed decide to get them? Stiff or regular shafts (whats the difference)?
Get fit for them. A proper fitting will tell you which shafts are right for your swing.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #1370
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The difference is flex of the shaft, or how much the shaft bends as you swing the club. Stiff bends less than regular.

How do you know which shaft is right for you? This is a complex question. There are two parts to it. Swing speed and tempo, with an emphasis on tempo.

The use of a chronometer will tell you how fast your club head speed is, which will tell you what shaft will produce the most consistent results for your swing. A launch meter will do the same thing, along with provide an abundance of other information. This will tell you how much club head speed you generate, which will give you an idea of which flex you should look at first.

https://www.taylormadegolfpreowned.c...ubfitting.aspx

The next, and more important aspect, is the temp of your swing. Slow swingers can get away with a more flexible shaft. Quick swingers need a stiff or extra stiff shaft.

https://truetemp.wpengine.com/how-to...eed-and-tempo/

Your professional will be able to identify your tempo in short order and make a recommendation. Shot dispersion pattern is the best way to find that out, but you can only truly do that outside hitting balls, and not on a launch meter.

For ####s and giggles, here's a page that will give you an idea of the variance of tour players for swing speed and the shafts they play.

http://www.swingmangolf.com/average-...speed-chart-2/

One last thing, you can find the sweet spot between flexes by playing with kick points and custom tipping of shafts. This is very advanced stuff for players who like to tweak their equipment with the intent to fine tune their game. Most players will never get to this level nor have the money or time to custom build clubs and do all the testing required.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #1371
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Been using the XR's since mid last year. Very happy with them, forgiving enough and a nice feel. Been golfing a bit more as a result, and my index has gone down a few points.

I would recommend, FWIW.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 06:05 PM   #1372
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Played River Spirit Cattails/Spirit from the Blues and found it to be quite the challenge. Some very long Par 4's and 3's made it hard to get on in regulation. Greens were fast. I liked Spirit much better than Cattails but 9 on Cattails is a gorgeous hole.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 08:47 PM   #1373
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Silvertip today. Was a great round. Shot 83 from the Blues, which ties my best ever round. Went along at great pace then sat on the 18th while there were 3 groups in front of us? What the hell?

Anyway, doubled 18 or else I would have had the best round of my life. Was choked!
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 09:58 PM   #1374
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
Played River Spirit Cattails/Spirit from the Blues and found it to be quite the challenge. Some very long Par 4's and 3's made it hard to get on in regulation. Greens were fast. I liked Spirit much better than Cattails but 9 on Cattails is a gorgeous hole.
I played it for the first time last week. I was pretty impressed with the course. I played the same 9s as you and would agree, the Spirit nine was more enjoyable. They have a great rate for early morning weekend I think we paid $60. Heck of a deal for that course. All in all pretty impressed I'll definitely be back.

Can anyone comment on the other 9? I can't remember what it's called.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #1375
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Played 12 holes of Tooth of the Dogpound course. The course is set up so that the 9th hole doesn't end at the clubhouse, so they allow you to play 3 more holes since #12 does end at the clubhouse.

It's a crazy course - first hole is straight and boring, like playing in the middle of a farmer's field. But then you tee up #2 and the holes get really interesting. Very tricky with doglegs, elevation changes, and blind shots. Helps to play a few times or to play with someone who has.

First 7 holes I was playing with just my wife, and I was 10 over. Then we had to wait on #8 as it was a little backed up, and the couple behind us caught up to us. We joined to make a foursome, and I ended up shooting even par the next 5 holes, capped by a 30 foot birdie putt on 12. Funnier still - after my wife hit into the water on 12, she got frustrated and said she'd just drop her ball on the green next to mine. After I drained my birdie putt, she proceeded to drain her putt too. Great way to finish the round.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #1376
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post

The other 9 is Millburn.

Played Delacour yesterday and it is definitely my favorite course in Calgary. I just love the layout and the staff are super friendly. Pace was pretty decent for a late afternoon round. We were done in about 4.5. Waited on a couple holes on the front, 5, 6 and 7 seems to jam things up a bit.

It's in amazing shape right now. If you haven't played it recently, you need to.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #1377
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
I played it for the first time last week. I was pretty impressed with the course. I played the same 9s as you and would agree, the Spirit nine was more enjoyable. They have a great rate for early morning weekend I think we paid $60. Heck of a deal for that course. All in all pretty impressed I'll definitely be back.

As mentioned the other 9 is called Millburn.

For my money Millburn is the most challenging and enjoyable nine of the three, and when you return I would definitely suggest playing the Spirit/Millburn combination if possible as in my opinion that gives you the best value and experience.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #1378
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
As mentioned the other 9 is called Millburn.

For my money Millburn is the most challenging and enjoyable nine of the three, and when you return I would definitely suggest playing the Spirit/Millburn combination if possible as in my opinion that gives you the best value and experience.
Really? I would agree with enjoyable but I certainly think Cat Tails is the most challenging 9.

I do sometimes enjoy playing River Spirit but I find it is just priced way too high. I would rather play elsewhere if I am shelling out $110 bucks on a Saturday.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #1379
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Millburn/Cattails is my favourite rotation at River Spirit, definitely the most challenging.

I played this morning at Redwood Meadows for the second time in a week. That place is just in awesome shape.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #1380
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think Cat Tails is the hardest 9 of the three. I never go to River Spirit unless I can get on with cart for under $70.

Played D'Arcy Ranch yesterday for the first time. I shot 46/61. A total collapse on the back 9. It's the first time I shot over 100 this season. Definitely gonna go back to redeem myself, especially with their great twilight rate.
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow