Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2015, 09:43 PM   #241
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Floated again with Buzzcock plus one last Saturday, totally got out fished but it was such a wicked day on the river!! Super chilly in the am that I had to clear ice from my guides which made me feel hard core, listened to the Jays game on the radio in the afternoon and it turned to T shirt weather. Fish were making their way to the boat and I was put on the sticks Thanks again Buzzcock, super ace and thanks to the weather, beautiful fall fishing.

Last edited by Angelamc; 10-21-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2015, 10:24 PM   #242
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Schematics

Try The Reel Doctor website in Edmonton. They have drawing and lots of parts. They can order for you too if they don't have in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
Hopefully someone out there can help me.

I have a Vintage 1983 Garcia 9200 (_not_ Abu or Mitchell) spinning reel. The side plate shattered when I took a spill on a slippery rock the other day. I was almost in tears - it was like losing my favorite dog.
Fortunately, I've been able to repair the side plate, but I'm in search of an exploded diagram or manual so I can reassemble everything properly. There are a couple of springs and clips that have a couple of possibilities visually and I'm not positive where they should go, since the dis-assembly happened when the side plate broke off. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygringo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #243
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Looks like an epic day on the water, thanks for sharing Angelmac. I am heading up to Tobin this weekend to try for some big Eyes and maybe a few Musky sized jack. We will see I guess. Supposed to snow Saturday, prime tenting weather! Hopefully I have some pics to show next week.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #244
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Nice try Angie - you bought that trout at Safeway!

#jealous
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #245
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Catch and Release works - this guy on Alberta Flyfishing caught the same fish three times in three weeks:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #246
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were on an Eastern Caribbean cruise in December and booked an inshore fishing charter in St Thomas. It was a pretty good morning. We caught some smaller red snapper and some other fish. We had hooked a Mahi and our captain was very surprised and excited because Mahi are rarely found inshore but it broke the line. We also tried to catch a 5 foot shark that was swimming about 30 feet from our boat but he wasn't taking the bait.

This was our prized catch of the day. An approximately 30 pound Kingfish:
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2016, 10:58 PM   #247
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not pictured: Hiking boots

#geojokes
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:06 AM   #248
Fredrik
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Iīm a big fishing enthusiast as well. Are lucky enough to live in one of the best area for pike fishing in Europe, and one of most well known areas for salmon fishing in Sweden.. In fact, my biggest pike was caught just 5 minutes from where I grove up, and, living in a city placed on an island, I can just step outside, walk 100 meters and probably caught a pike if I wanted to. Gladly, the perch has also made a come back here, after about a decade away.

Been watching some TV shows about fishing lately, and have noticed some differences between fishing in Sweden and Canada. One of my main favorites of fishing was standing at the front of a boat, with a harpoon at night, hopping to get some eels. That kind of fishing is, understandable, highly forbidden in Sweden today, due to both humanity and the state of the spices. Is this something that is popular in Canada?

Now, to my main question. From withing these shows, I have come to the understanding that in Canada, you don't use barbs (is that translated correctly?) on your hooks. Why is this? More sportsmanlike? Humanity?
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:33 AM   #249
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The barbed vs. barbless hook has been a bit of an issue here over the past few years I'd say. The regulations said that you had to crush the barb a few years ago. Then the next year they accidentally left that out, and barbed hooks were fine again. So as far as I know the rule now is that barbed hooks are OK, but they recommend barbless and hope people use them.

I pretty much only flyfish so I just crush the barb. You might lose a fish here or there because of that, but I don't care. The thing is that I also only do catch and release fishing, so the barb makes it easier on the fish to be released with minimal damage. I should say that most of the guides probably don't crush the barb for the average customer. They would rather have their clients catching as opposed to having the fish shake the hook.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2016, 07:10 AM   #250
Fredrik
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Perhaps should crush my hooks for when I fish for pike then... Never thought of that, accually, but always practise catch and release when I fish for them.... easier to release the pike, less painful to get the hook out.

Any one in here practice jerkbaiting? Started with it a couple of years ago and became totaly hooked (pun intended).
Old 01-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #251
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Perhaps should crush my hooks for when I fish for pike then... Never thought of that, accually, but always practise catch and release when I fish for them.... easier to release the pike, less painful to get the hook out. ...
Using circle hooks with small/crushed/no barbs is the way to go for pike. I fish for tiger muskies a lot - catch and release. You don't have to set a circle hook, you just tighten up the line and it catches the corner of the mouth. Even if they swallow it, it won't gut hook them. Hopefully they're running away from you rather than coming at you - I've lost a bunch because of that.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #252
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www3.carleton.ca/fecpl/pdfs/B...w%20Review.pdf

Mean mortality varied greatly by species and within species,anatomical hooking location was the most important mortality factor. Other significant mortality factors were: use of natural bait, removing hooks from deeply hooked fish, use of J-hooks (vs. circle hooks), deeper depth of capture, warm water temperatures, and extended playing and handling times. Barbed hooks had marginally higher mortality than barbless hooks. Based on numbers of estimates, no statistically significant overall effects were found for fish size, hook size, venting to deflate fish caught at depth, or use of treble vs. single hooks. Catch and release fishing is a growing and an increasingly important activity.

http://www.westernsportsman.com/2014...h-and-release/

http://recfishingresearch.org/wp-con...oks-better.pdf

Last edited by troutman; 01-12-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #253
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hey CP,

I'm trying to plan some spring/summer fishing trips in South East BC this year.

I've never fished this area and It'll be the first time out fishing in many many years so any and all advice is welcome.

Gear recommendations, best time of year etc etc is all appreciated.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #254
Buzzcock
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Hey CP,

I'm trying to plan some spring/summer fishing trips in South East BC this year.

I've never fished this area and It'll be the first time out fishing in many many years so any and all advice is welcome.

Gear recommendations, best time of year etc etc is all appreciated.
Fly fishing or gear? In the spring I tend to fish the lakes and starting in mid-summer I'll start hitting the rivers more.

If you're fishing flowing water then you need to be aware of the classified license system - most streams are classified which requires 20 bucks a day on top of your license. The Wigwam, Skookumchuk, and Michel are all going to a booking system for non-residents to limit angling pressure.

I'd definitely recommend a float trip for a day in the summer - either the Elk, Bull or St. Mary's. There's a shop in Fernie that will rent boats if you're comfortable on the oars. Send a PM if you'd like more details.
Buzzcock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzcock For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 08:30 PM   #255
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Caught my first fish of the year today through the ice. I caught about 8-9 Grayling, all roughly 12" and just beautiful fish. I might try to catch a fish every month this year, just based on my starting the year that way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #256
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Email from ESRD regarding the barbed lures issue...

"Thank you for contacting the Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development Information Centre.

When the Fisheries Act (of Canada) was amended on September 22, 2011, the prohibition on the use of barbed fish hooks was removed. The Alberta Fishery Regulations were updated to reflect this, and as such, this made the ban on the use of barbed fish hooks unenforceable.

Fish and Wildlife officers have ceased charging people for using barbed hooks and will not swear tickets issued since the change in legislation. We are also moving to quash all wrongful convictions and refund all fines paid since the change in legislation.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact this office.

Thank you"
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #257
Fredrik
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This film is from yesterday, of the town where I live (you can even see the place where I have my boat during the summer in the very begining). This upcoming weekend, I will try to get some perch in the surrounding of the old artillery magazine you see from 0.25. Havenīt had ice here for 3, 4 years, so I canīt wait!
Old 01-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #258
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Caught my first fish of the year today through the ice. I caught about 8-9 Grayling, all roughly 12" and just beautiful fish. I might try to catch a fish every month this year, just based on my starting the year that way.
Do we need a Fishing 2016 thread?

Should we go to New Zealand or Patagonia for winter fishing (summer there)?
Old 01-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #259
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Do we need a Fishing 2016 thread?

Should we go to New Zealand or Patagonia for winter fishing (summer there)?
Well we could change the name of this to the Fishing thread and not tie it down with a date? Or we could change it to the "Flyfishing Thread" and class this place up a little!

We should probably go to one of those places. I am debating a trip to Canadas North this summer. No exchange rate, amazing fishing and I write a major exam in June that will require some celebration.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #260
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

hey guys,
I would change the name of the thread but I don't know how and maybe this is for one of the mods to do?

Anyway, All things fishing would be great. I visit this thread as often as things are posted so keeping it going would be awesome.

Tags
bow river , fishing , fly fishing