Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #321
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
OK fair point, but it's not applicable IMO.

Of the hundreds (thousands?) of art installations around the city, two of them are universally hated. Calgarians aren't just consuming mindless pop culture. They appreciate a very wide range of artwork around the city.

Maybe, just MAYBE, Calgarians are smarter than you think and they appreciate good art and can recognize bad art? The blue ring and the Bowfort trash pile are bad art.
No, I just think art is too subjective all around. Some people hate it, some love it. Appoint a committee (probably a better one than we have) and live with their decisions. Don't "vote" on things because it diffuses controversy. That's lazy.

Btw, this 'outrage' isn't limited to the average unwashed masses. See below.

""We come, we writers, painters, sculptors, architects, lovers of the beauty of Paris which was until now intact, to protest with all our strength and all our indignation, in the name of the underestimated taste of the French, in the name of French art and history under threat, against the erection in the very heart of our capital, of the useless and monstrous Eiffel Tower which popular ill-feeling, so often an arbiter of good sense and justice, has already christened the Tower of Babel. (...) Is the City of Paris any longer to associate itself with the baroque and mercantile fancies of a builder of machines, thereby making itself irreparably ugly and bringing dishonour ? (...)
Old 08-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #322
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
No, I just think art is too subjective all around. Some people hate it, some love it. Appoint a committee (probably a better one than we have) and live with their decisions. Don't "vote" on things because it diffuses controversy. That's lazy.

Btw, this 'outrage' isn't limited to the average unwashed masses. See below.

""We come, we writers, painters, sculptors, architects, lovers of the beauty of Paris which was until now intact, to protest with all our strength and all our indignation, in the name of the underestimated taste of the French, in the name of French art and history under threat, against the erection in the very heart of our capital, of the useless and monstrous Eiffel Tower which popular ill-feeling, so often an arbiter of good sense and justice, has already christened the Tower of Babel. (...) Is the City of Paris any longer to associate itself with the baroque and mercantile fancies of a builder of machines, thereby making itself irreparably ugly and bringing dishonour ? (...)
OMG, could you stop? This thing is ugly and stupid. We're entitled to not like it without you insinuating we have no taste or vision. STFU.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #323
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh Jay, you're so cultured. Please tone it down for us simple folk on the prairie.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #324
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

You've all convinced me. Let's vote.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...port-1.2773624
Old 08-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #325
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Being told that I'm some kind of uncouth moron for thinking that this piece of art is actually a piece of crap reminds me of this episode of Spongebob where Squidward gets jealous of Squilliam for his house being showcased on House Fancy. Squidward calls the show and brags that his house is even fancier, so the host comes to see it. Unfortunately, Spongebob blows up Squidward's house before House Fancy arrives, and turns it into a big pile of rubble with a toilet on top, and as Squidward cringes at their arrival, the host declares that his house is indeed the fanciest house he's ever seen, because of the modern art aspect of it.

Yes, corporatejay, you remind me of the host of House Fancy. I wish I had the vision you have. If that is art, I should become an artist. Looks easy and sounds lucrative. My utility trailer is currently full of old bricks and old baseboards and casing that I've been ripping out of my house. Instead of taking it to the dump, maybe I could just dump it on the side of the highway and declare it to be art. I could charge the city half a mil for it? Sweet. Pay off my mortgage and buy a new truck. This is gonna be awesome.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #326
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Being told that I'm some kind of uncouth moron for thinking that this piece of art is actually a piece of crap reminds me of this episode of Spongebob where Squidward gets jealous of Squilliam for his house being showcased on House Fancy. Squidward calls the show and brags that his house is even fancier, so the host comes to see it. Unfortunately, Spongebob blows up Squidward's house before House Fancy arrives, and turns it into a big pile of rubble with a toilet on top, and as Squidward cringes at their arrival, the host declares that his house is indeed the fanciest house he's ever seen, because of the modern art aspect of it.

Yes, corporatejay, you remind me of the host of House Fancy. I wish I had the vision you have. If that is art, I should become an artist. Looks easy and sounds lucrative. My utility trailer is currently full of old bricks and old baseboards and casing that I've been ripping out of my house. Instead of taking it to the dump, maybe I could just dump it on the side of the highway and declare it to be art. I could charge the city half a mil for it? Sweet. Pay off my mortgage and buy a new truck. This is gonna be awesome.
No one is stopping you, meanwhile Del Geist has made a career out of it in the art capital of the world.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #327
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
No one is stopping you, meanwhile Del Geist has made a career out of it in the art capital of the world.
Will you defend my art if people criticize it?
Old 08-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #328
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Thereby proving that even the appeal to authority capital of the world suffers from a lack of critical thought at times.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #329
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Will you defend my art if people criticize it?
Sure. That's my point. Nobody knows, it's all an illusion anyway. Good art, bad art...we're all just guessing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit_T..._the_Gift_Shop
Old 08-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #330
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Mayor posted this statement tonight. Which is a lot less hasty than the response in the Charter press conference.

http://calgarymayor.ca/stories/mayor...bowfort-towers
He abandoned his BS comments from earlier in the day pretty quickly. Unlike him, usually he likes to follow his BS until the end until us tax payers have to pay his legal bills...... Must be an election coming.

I wish we'd turf his royal arrogance, but I can't see any strong enough competition for that to happen.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #331
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Druh Farrell Tweet Storm just now. Not happy.

https://twitter.com/DruhFarrell/stat...17716192444417
Old 08-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #332
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:

What was proposed on 2014 that didn't happen?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #333
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Parisians hated the Eiffel tower when it first went up. Meh.

We're really in peak late-stage capitalism if this is what gets people fired up nowadays.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #334
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
What was proposed on 2014 that didn't happen?
Ask her
Old 08-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #335
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
He abandoned his BS comments from earlier in the day pretty quickly. Unlike him, usually he likes to follow his BS until the end until us tax payers have to pay his legal bills...... Must be an election coming.

I wish we'd turf his royal arrogance, but I can't see any strong enough competition for that to happen.
What's your problem with his statement?

It seems reasonable enough. He doesn't pick the public art, none of the councillors do. Why blame city hall?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #336
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Even the Queen of the Latte Sippers agrees this thing is bad? What a backwater hicktown hick. Tsk tsk, Druh. Get in your car and take an overpass to suburbia, because you just lost your cred.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #337
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't always agree with Druh on a lot of things, but I absolutely agree with her here, especially this part...

Quote:
Sure, there's room for controversial art - art that challenges & provokes & maybe even offends, but that's not the role of public art.

Public art is for the public good. That doesn't mean it has to be boring. That doesn't mean "dumbing it down" (I hate that term).

Public art should be cool, engaging, fun, useful, inspiring! And yes, the average person should be able to enjoy & experience it.

Just like great architecture, a public art piece shouldn't need to be explained to be appreciated.

Sure, great art may be hated by a lot of people, but should we spending public funds on art that we know will be hated by most of the people who see it?

Also, I'd bet that "Rocks on Sticks" and "Big Blue Ring" weren't created with the goal of being controversial or hated by the masses, so it's not even really an appropriate argument to make to defend them.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #338
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Parisians hated the Eiffel tower when it first went up. Meh.

We're really in peak late-stage capitalism if this is what gets people fired up nowadays.

Yes, but this is no Eiffel Tower
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 07:07 PM   #339
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps millions will flock to Calgary each year in future to pose on the side of the highway next to the Bowfort Towers. We'll have to wait and see.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #340
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those who like the Bowfort towers, what do you like about it?