Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2022, 09:02 PM   #2681
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

What do you use it for? For some stuff I guess almost anything would pay for itself pretty quickly.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:36 PM   #2682
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Film/TV post production. The studio would be used for Resolve edit system although it may be good enough for VFX and colour. Currently running three 7.1 Mac Pros for colour and they are good but not great. Everything else are either i9 Gen 10/11 or AMD 3960s. The AMDs are great.

Mac's are great for performance but they have other issues.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 11:10 PM   #2683
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just ordered the base model Mac studio and Display… my 2013 27” i7 iMac died 3 weeks ago so I wasn’t sure what to do… I feel this is a bit overkill considering I’m a photographer/digital artist and haven’t done much video. I was hoping for just a new 27” iMac really, but with the M1 pro chip, or I might of went with the mini… I’m hoping I can get 10 years out of it though.
badradio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 11:32 PM   #2684
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

27" M1 iMac's with the updated chips will be released later in the year. I don't think they will be at the end of the month like the Mac Pro but maybe September. I honestly hate the iMac form factor.

I have been really impressed with the original M1 Mini so I'd imagine these will be excellent systems.

I am waiting on ASUS or LG OLED pro monitors coming in a month or so.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:54 PM   #2685
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
27" M1 iMac's with the updated chips will be released later in the year. I don't think they will be at the end of the month like the Mac Pro but maybe September. I honestly hate the iMac form factor.
Yah the rumour was/is June, but from the sound of todays event I thought the Studio seemed like the replacement for the 27” iMac… but maybe it will come with a m2 chip. The nice thing is if the display dies on the Studio I can get a new one, where as the iMac you’re a bit screwed.
badradio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:00 AM   #2686
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
Yah the rumour was/is June, but from the sound of todays event I thought the Studio seemed like the replacement for the 27” iMac… but maybe it will come with a m2 chip. The nice thing is if the display dies on the Studio I can get a new one, where as the iMac you’re a bit screwed.
As much as I dislike the form factor my 2017 iMac Pro has been rock solid and one of my more reliable systems mac, windows or linux. My operator is leery of me doing any updates whatsoever on it as everything is running quite smoothly.

For the price I am really impressed with the M1 mini. I run Resolve for 4K video compositing and editing, Adobe Premiere, Avid. It will struggle on heavy GPU tasks but for editing it is not bad even 8K Red files. Might be worth a try for you. Apple is really good at taking returns. Buy it, test it out for a week and return it if you don't want it. Did is with a fully loaded Mac Pro and an iMac. No issues whatsoever returning them.

I will add the MacBook Pro Max is a beast. The performance is fantastic but it is $7K. My company owner hates it though as it is very heavy to tote around. I keep telling him I will take that burden off of his hands...
Old 03-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #2687
photon

Exp:

I was kinda hoping for a MacBook Air update as I was thinking of getting my kid a real laptop for a grad gift and to prepare for post secondary software development courses (he uses a Chromebook currently).

Though nothing wrong with the current Air I guess. For school I've heard that there's not much different than the Air and the MBP 13".
Old 03-09-2022, 12:33 PM   #2688
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I heard fall for the new Air but it will probably just be the original M1 chip. Looking like a marginal at best update.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:38 PM   #2689
photon

Exp:

A 14" one would be great, but that's a lot of $$. Maybe I'll keep an eye on the refurbs for a while and see if anyone else in the family wants to go in.
Old 03-09-2022, 05:20 PM   #2690
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's a refurb on the 2017 i5 but looks like a good deal on the 13" Macbook

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...ished/13898492
Old 04-10-2022, 10:10 AM   #2691
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone else's MacBooks have an issue mounting external hard drive? I have a SanDisk 1TB SSD that my (14-inch, 2021) just refuses to mount on a consistent basis, and when it does it disconnects. I mention the SSD because it happens frequently with it but an external device turns into a frustrating episode. Plug it in, tells me I didn't eject it properly.

The devices works fine with other things, cord isn't the issue, just the god damn MacBook. Wondering if its a known issue
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 10:21 AM   #2692
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had this weird issue where I tried to rent a movie on iTunes and it kept saying my non-expired credit card on file was expired. It expires in 2 months, but it seems kind of unusual.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 03:09 PM   #2693
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Anyone else's MacBooks have an issue mounting external hard drive? I have a SanDisk 1TB SSD that my (14-inch, 2021) just refuses to mount on a consistent basis, and when it does it disconnects. I mention the SSD because it happens frequently with it but an external device turns into a frustrating episode. Plug it in, tells me I didn't eject it properly.

The devices works fine with other things, cord isn't the issue, just the god damn MacBook. Wondering if its a known issue
Mount dozens of drives a day to various Mac's and do not have issues depending on the format of the drive. So that is what I would check, the drive format. And it is Mac, the cord absolutely could be an issue. Mac will want a proper TB3 cable not just a USB-C one. Mac and finicky go hand in hand.
Old 05-24-2022, 02:05 PM   #2694
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good news: Apple lets you repair your own phones, and has kits to rent to do it.

Bad news: Uhm, everything else...

https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/21/2...r-kit-hands-on

The fact that it costs you more to do this than pay them to do it, and the hassle associated with it makes me think Apple has assembled this kit out of spite, not convenience.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:34 PM   #2695
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it annoying that there are settings for a lot of things, but not one that will allow cellular data usage alerts or for it to be customized to cut off at a certain point.

My best solution was to turn off cell data on a bunch of high bandwidth apps and then lock the setting so kids couldn’t change it if they got bored on the bus and wanted to watch youtube videos or netflix.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:40 PM   #2696
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Good news: Apple lets you repair your own phones, and has kits to rent to do it.

Bad news: Uhm, everything else...

https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/21/2...r-kit-hands-on

The fact that it costs you more to do this than pay them to do it, and the hassle associated with it makes me think Apple has assembled this kit out of spite, not convenience.
Hardware, software wise Apple is excellent. Business practice wise Apple sucks hind tit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 08:06 PM   #2697
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shoppers has a points promotion for Itunes cards - max of $500. Works out to be 10% off or more on bonus redemption days. Can be used for hardware now I believe.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:43 AM   #2698
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apple proprietary cables are dead. USB-C connectors mandated on 2024 devices sold in the EU going forward.
https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/7/23...ghtning-ewaste
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:08 AM   #2699
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Am I the only one that thinks apple with create another made for apple check and find a way around this haha
Old 06-07-2022, 09:10 AM   #2700
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Apple proprietary cables are dead. USB-C connectors mandated on 2024 devices sold in the EU going forward.
https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/7/23...ghtning-ewaste
Does it mean they are dead or will they just offer a wireless charging phone for that market?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote